+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV from outside canada after PGWP

alen.goli

Aug 11, 2019
Hi
I was an international student that came to Canada in March 2018 for an 8 months programme and after got my 1-year PGWP expiring in May 2020. My husband and I recently travelled to back home to have our traditional marriage ceremony in the presence of family (We got our Canadian marriage certificate in March 2019 tho). A little side note is that my husband is a Canadian citizen. On our way back I was not allowed to come back as I did not have TRV. I always thought having PGWP would be sufficient for coming back to Canada. and I'm so frustrated at the moment because I'm not what to do? Since we have not submitted our spousal sponsorship application yet my ties for TRV are not enough at the moment. we were planning to submit the sponsorship application as soon we got back to Canada after our ceremony to make our case stronger.
Can someone please advise what to do in this situation?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Applying for sponsorship will make it less likely that you get a TRV, not more likely. They don't want people immigrating on a tourist visa. You should go ahead and apply for your spousal sponsorship because it would be difficult to get a TRV in any case (you're married to a Canadian, they know you are likely to overstay).

You can apply, but don't expect to get a TRV.

Expect to stay in your home country for about a year while the sponsorship process goes through. Your husband can live with you since he's a Canadian citizen.