+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV From Inside Canada - Normal Processing Time Has Passed

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hey Zeeali,
I sent my passport the same way you did. I prepaid for an express post and used UPS to send my passport.

last update I have is that my passport is in Ottawa. I will post if I have any more updates
Hi, I will send my passport for extending my TRV (international student studying in Canada). I don't have a clue which couriers to use for the passport sending and returning. Please, can you give me detailed instructions because I didn't understand what is UPS and what is prepaid envelope enclosed for return? Thanks in advance.

Zeeali0915

Nov 22, 2018
Hi, I will send my passport for extending my TRV (international student studying in Canada). I don't have a clue which couriers to use for the passport sending and returning. Please, can you give me detailed instructions because I didn't understand what is UPS and what is prepaid envelope enclosed for return? Thanks in advance.
You could use Canada Post express post with one letter sized envelope and inside it a standard sized envelope. Cic website gives pretty good instructions on how to send your passport. But since canada post was on a long strike I sent it through UPS postal service and inside it a Canada Post Xpresspost return envelope for cic to send the passport back to me. Let me know if you have any questions. Just fyi cic will only use Canada Post to return your passport but you can send it through private courier.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
You could use Canada Post express post with one letter sized envelope and inside it a standard sized envelope. Cic website gives pretty good instructions on how to send your passport. But since canada post was on a long strike I sent it through UPS postal service and inside it a Canada Post Xpresspost return envelope for cic to send the passport back to me. Let me know if you have any questions. Just fyi cic will only use Canada Post to return your passport but you can send it through private courier.
Thank you so much. I guess I will use UPS courier service for sending the two envelopes and the passport. My question is: can I use UPS for the returning envelope? Is it trackable? and how can CIC know that they should put the newly stamped passport in the other envelope and use UPS instead of Canada post service? Thank you!

Zeeali0915

Nov 22, 2018
Thank you so much. I guess I will use UPS courier service for sending the two envelopes and the passport. My question is: can I use UPS for the returning envelope? Is it trackable? and how can CIC know that they should put the newly stamped passport in the other envelope and use UPS instead of Canada post service? Thank you!
Nope you can only use private courier while sending but when they send it back to you they WILL ONLY use Canada Post. Cic tells you that in their website to put a Canada Post Xpresspost standard size envelope enclosed inside the larger envelope which ypu ill use to send ypur passport. They will use the standard sized envelope to send it back to you( they say that on their website). In my case I send the Canada Post Xpresspost envelope and my passport enclosed in a UPS larger envelope. The reason being that since I knew Canada Post is facing delays, It would be faster if the delay is only from one instance rather than both sending nd receiving. Know that CIC WILL NOT USE a return envelope from a private courier to return your passport and in that case will send you the passport by regular un trackable Canada post mail.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Nope you can only use private courier while sending but when they send it back to you they WILL ONLY use Canada Post. Cic tells you that in their website to put a Canada Post Xpresspost standard size envelope enclosed inside the larger envelope which ypu ill use to send ypur passport. They will use the standard sized envelope to send it back to you( they say that on their website). In my case I send the Canada Post Xpresspost envelope and my passport enclosed in a UPS larger envelope. The reason being that since I knew Canada Post is facing delays, It would be faster if the delay is only from one instance rather than both sending nd receiving. Know that CIC WILL NOT USE a return envelope from a private courier to return your passport and in that case will send you the passport by regular un trackable Canada post mail.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it! One final question, if I want to send the passport to CIC first via FedEx, can I buy the Canada Post Xpresspost envelope from them? or do I have to buy it from another place?
Please update me with your timeline for the TRV extension (when did you apply, when did they request the passport, etc..). I have my flight ticket on the 25th of December.

Zeeali0915

Nov 22, 2018
I don’t know if you can buy the CanadaPost Xpresspost envelope from fedex. For me first I went to a Canada post location bought a standard sized Xpresspost envelope then went to UPS and sent my passport, the letter cic sends you requesting your passport and the Canada Post Xpresspost envelope through UPSs xpress delivery post. I applied online on October 3rd. Got my Passport request on Nov 26th. My passport reached there on November 27th morning Ottawa time according to UPs. Now I’m waiting to get that back hopefully before my flight as well. I have to get it by Dec 19th. I called CIC the lady told me usually you can expect to get it by Dec 12th. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 17ha15

shayan1992

Oct 9, 2018
Hello Guys,

Couple of questions and would really appreciate any help,
I submitted my application on Oct 24 and i havn't heard anything back since ,unfortunately i have already booked tickets for 15 th DEC for my brothers wedding which i cannot miss. what are my options here .Please help

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Oh that's a lot of time from October 3rd to Nov 26th! I know people who got the passport request in 5 days! Are you guys students or do you work here? Thanks again

Shayan 1992, try to extend or change the flight date if you can! Best of luck and im sorry

Reactions: shayan1992

shayan1992

Oct 9, 2018
Oh that's a lot of time from October 3rd to Nov 26th! I know people who got the passport request in 5 days! Are you guys students or do you work here? Thanks again

Shayan 1992, try to extend or change the flight date if you can! Best of luck and im sorry

i applied for visa extension i am a student in canada .am in the right thread , sorry didn't know .

shayan1992

Oct 9, 2018
But it shows that in the processing time it needs 5 days only! Did you check what is the reason of the delay?
Thank you for your reply, how can i check ? can i contact someone ? in my application it says bsckground check N/A and your application is ion process and we will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Please Advise

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Thank you for your reply, how can i check ? can i contact someone ? in my application it says bsckground check N/A and your application is ion process and we will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

Please Advise
What do they say exactly for your background check?

Reactions: shayan1992

Zeeali0915

Nov 22, 2018

I was one of the unlucky ones chosen for background checks. I’m lucky as a lot of other people in this thread had to wait for 3 months to just get the passport request!

Zeeali0915

Nov 22, 2018
Just say's NOT APPLICABLE
Since it’s already been over the prescribed time they are doing some additional verifications. At this moment you have 2 options; either just wait and hope you get a response or you could withdraw your previous application and reapply. Some people in this thread had luck doing that as they didn’t get put into the additional verifications pile when they reapplied. I know this is a very tough situation to be in and one that cic should address. I honestly hope u get a good response by the end of this week