wilder1047

Star Member
Apr 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am currently in the process of sponsoring my Thai wife. I have recieved the letter from Canadian Immigration confirming my eligibility to sponsor, and now the application has been sent to Singapore for further processing. The Embassy in Bangkok has notified me that by using this confirmation letter I have a bit more leverage in bringing my wife to Canada on a TRV during the processing time in Singapore. We received this confirmation a little early, so we were still working on putting funds in her bank account to show available for her stay in Canada. If we were to drop a few grand CDN in there at once, would they question it? It's unfortunate we would not have a chance to explain ourselves if it was the case, since the money would come from the sale of her gold. I also plan to write a letter saying that I would undertake her during her time in Canada on the Visa. Does this sound like a long shot still??

Ahhh... another sleepless night due to Immigration concerns!!!

Thanks ahead of time!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wilder1047 said:
If we were to drop a few grand CDN in there at once, would they question it? It's unfortunate we would not have a chance to explain ourselves if it was the case, since the money would come from the sale of her gold. I also plan to write a letter saying that I would undertake her during her time in Canada on the Visa. Does this sound like a long shot still??
Do you mean bribing the visa officer?

wilder1047

Star Member
Apr 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hahaha no no..

To put money into the applicants account to show available funds for her trip, which is one of the requirements on the application form.

victorialad

Jul 2, 2010
Victoria
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2010
File Transfer...
21-07-2010
Med's Done....
11-03-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2010
LANDED..........
7-12-2010
Wilder,
I'm not clear from your original post....are you saying that you have some more leverage in getting a TRV now your PRV sponsorship has been approved? If this is the case what are you basing this on?

I'm in the same situation, except my wife is Vietnamese.

My understanding is that while dual-intent is theoretically possible, it is still very difficult to get a TRV for citizens of countries like Thailand and Vietnam due to the concern about the applicant returning.

I'm certainly very interested in knowing how you get on with your TRV application.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Dual-intent is possible. We did it.

Once I had the sponsorship approval and the case number I imediately wrote an invite letter and my wife applied for a TRV. I specifically mentioned the sponsorship including the case number and all info. I specifically mentioned she would be coming to visit for a short time, and then return to wait for any further contact from the embassy or an interview or further processing. I included detailed plans of the visit as far as we had planned it. She was approved without an interview.

She came to visit over Christmas for 2 weeks, returned, and within a month she was approved and had to complete some other paperwork to be able to immigrate.

The important thing with dual-intent is to try to prove it is ONLY a temp visit.

I'm not clear from your original post....are you saying that you have some more leverage in getting a TRV now your PRV sponsorship has been approved? If this is the case what are you basing this on?
So you are approved to sponsor...and your paperwork is now with the embassy and things are progressing...although too slow for anyones liking. If your wife gets a TRV, will you allow her to overstay that visit? If you do...you screw up your out of country application. Why would you risk that when you are already following the process? The embassy officer knows this...so it can actually help your case since he sees you are already following the process and are less likely to screw it up.

victorialad

Jul 2, 2010
Victoria
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2010
File Transfer...
21-07-2010
Med's Done....
11-03-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2010
LANDED..........
7-12-2010
Frolic,
Thank you for the information. That is helpful. Do you mind telling my what country your wife is from?

Thanks.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
frolic said:
Dual-intent is possible. We did it.

Once I had the sponsorship approval and the case number I imediately wrote an invite letter and my wife applied for a TRV. I specifically mentioned the sponsorship including the case number and all info. I specifically mentioned she would be coming to visit for a short time, and then return to wait for any further contact from the embassy or an interview or further processing. I included detailed plans of the visit as far as we had planned it. She was approved without an interview.

So did my Chinese wife, but was refused a TRV.

She came to visit over Christmas for 2 weeks, returned, and within a month she was approved and had to complete some other paperwork to be able to immigrate.

The important thing with dual-intent is to try to prove it is ONLY a temp visit.

Yes, this is the crucuble. But how to prove intent to return? My wife had many of the usual ties to China, in fact more than another Chinese wife of a Canadian friend here in China. She GOT her TRV, but our VO simply minimized my wife's ties to China, and concluded (without giving reasons) that he suspected she might not return. We did (too) point out that overstaying the TRV would jeopardize the PR application, but this fell on deaf ears.

I suspect that a lot has to do with the VO who happens to look at your case, and also the country you come from. Some applicants (from Europe and the USA) seem to get approved more quickly than applicants from countries where there have been fraudulent applications, marriages of convenience, etc. Countries like -- I hate to say it -- China.

So you are approved to sponsor...and your paperwork is now with the embassy and things are progressing...although too slow for anyones liking. If your wife gets a TRV, will you allow her to overstay that visit? If you do...you screw up your out of country application. Why would you risk that when you are already following the process? The embassy officer knows this...so it can actually help your case since he sees you are already following the process and are less likely to screw it up.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
My wife is from Russia. Another country where it is more difficult to get a TRV from.

Of course it IS hard to prove something you intend to do in the future. It basically comes down to...Do they think you will overstay? Do they believe your story?

My wife had been refused prior to that attempt. Over a year earlier when she was still my girlfriend we had tried to get her a TRV. She was refused...even though she had a job and son waiting for her at home. The only things that changed in the year between the applications were our wedding and my sponsorship of her was approved.

I suspect that a lot has to do with the VO who happens to look at your case, and also the country you come from. Some applicants (from Europe and the USA) seem to get approved more quickly than applicants from countries where there have been fraudulent applications, marriages of convenience, etc. Countries like -- I hate to say it -- China.
I would say the country is the bigger concern. If they have a 0.1% overstay rate from EU or USA...and they have a 1% rate of overstay from Russia or China...who do you think they will be more dubious of?
That is why places like USA and EU do not need a visa to arrive in Canada.

victorialad

Jul 2, 2010
Victoria
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2010
File Transfer...
21-07-2010