+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for Thai Wife and Daughter

rct99q

Mar 18, 2014
Dear members and visitors,

Just seeking an opinion on getting a TRV for my Thai wife and Daughter (9months). Sorry if this has been done to death but new to this forum.

Me - live and work in Thailand with an immigration O visa/extension and a 1 year work permit. Canadian Citizen with passport. Have 4 consecutive years of living in Thailand with immigration visas.

Wife - Thai passport with several international trips (mostly Laos with myself), currently works as a housewife, but has a work history with the same guest house i worked at (letter of reference from the owner available)

Daughter - 9 months old with Thai passport

Assets - about $8,000CAD.

Ties to Thailand - we have a 12 year old son who will be staying in Thailand with Grand Parents, We live on the family farm with my wife, daughter and I all registered on the family Tambien Bahn (house book) we are in the midst of building our own house on the family farm (1/2 done). All her immediate family live in the same village father, mother, 2 brothers, aunts and uncles.

Reason for Visiting - i have been offered a job on a 6 month contract that pays $5,000CAD/month with free living accommodations. i have family in the same province (mother, brother and niece) who we will be staying with at times.

Just curious if anyone can offer any advice on additional items to help convince Canadian Embassy Staff in bangkok that we will be returning. Any thoughts on the above in your opinions is it worth the effort to apply.

Thanks for your input.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Were you born in Canada or are you a naturalized Canadian?

If so, your daughter is Canadian as well. If you were to apply for a TRV for her, CIC would most likely respond that she doesn't qualify because she is actually a citizen.

If she is Canadian, you should apply for her Certificate of Citizenship ASAP. Once you've applied for it and have proof of imminent travel, you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport for her.

rct99q

Mar 18, 2014
Yes she would qualify, however it is taking about 1 year to obtain the Certificate of Citizenship and I am looking at traveling in about 7 weeks. My daughter does have a Thai passport and all corresponding documents translated into English.
Was not aware that the Consulate may disqualify her because she would be deemed a Canadian Citizen but have no paper proof as such.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
rct99q said:
Yes she would qualify, however it is taking about 1 year to obtain the Certificate of Citizenship and I am looking at traveling in about 7 weeks. My daughter does have a Thai passport and all corresponding documents translated into English.
Was not aware that the Consulate may disqualify her because she would be deemed a Canadian Citizen but have no paper proof as such.
Regardless of the official paper, she is Canadian. They don't give visitor visas to citizens.

As I said above, after you've submitted the Certificate of Citizenship app, you can show them proof of your imminent travel and apply for a limited validity Canadian passport for her.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I don't think you should have too much trouble -- I got a visitor's visa to the States for my wife when in a similar situation to you, but with much fewer proofs of permanence. In general, I think that Canada is less concerned about people who enter on tourist visas and then change to an 'adjustment of status' (U.S. immigration hates this). I doubt that they will care very much about your trips to Laos one way or another, though.

rct99q

Mar 18, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Regardless of the official paper, she is Canadian. They don't give visitor visas to citizens.

As I said above, after you've submitted the Certificate of Citizenship app, you can show them proof of your imminent travel and apply for a limited validity Canadian passport for her.
Hi, thank you for this. I asked about this and the Embassy said I needed her Certificate of Citizenship before issuing her any passport. I will try again.
Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
rct99q said:
Hi, thank you for this. I asked about this and the Embassy said I needed her Certificate of Citizenship before issuing her any passport. I will try again.
Thanks.
They should do it. If the embassy says they won't, try contacting Passport Canada directly. Also, direct them to some of these other embassy websites that explain it:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/consular_services_consulaires/passports-passeports_children.aspx?lang=eng

Following submission of the citizenship application, if travel plans cannot be deferred, you may submit a fully completed passport application along with all original supporting documentation as well as your child's proof of travel, itinerary or airline ticket. As your child does not have citizenship documents, you will need to submit the child’s original foreign birth certificate showing both parents’ names, original marriage certificate of the parents (optional), as well as the following documents from one of the parents: original proof of Canadian citizenship, current or most recent Canadian passport, and one other document to support the identity of the parent. Our passport officers will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your child’s travel needs.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

When urgent travel requirements exist, or when a newborn must have a passport in order to obtain a legal residency status abroad, parents can apply concurrently for the child’s Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and for a passport, which will be limited in validity to the normal timeframe required to produce the child’s Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. This option is only available for children under 2 years of age.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/japan-japon/consular_services_consulaires/passport-passeport.aspx?lang=eng

Proof of Canadian citizenship is required to support each child passport application. If your child was born abroad and you have not yet applied for their Canadian citizenship certificate, we urge you to submit the Citizenship application as soon as possible after the birth of your child. Citizenship application can be a very lengthy process. Currently, it may take about six months to one year to process.
If you have immediate travel plans and they cannot be deferred, in addition to all required documents above, you need to submit your child's travel itinerary that shows proof of payment. We will assess your case to issue a limited validity passport to meet your child's travel needs.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/uae-eau/consular_services_consulaires/passport-passeport.aspx

Proof of Canadian citizenship is required to support each child passport application. If your child still doesn’t have a citizenship certificate, you have to submit the citizenship application along with the passport application, and the child would be eligible for a Limited Validity Passport of 2 years, in order to meet residency or travel requirements.

rct99q

Mar 18, 2014
Thank you again. You have been very helpful in supplying this information, will let everyone know how things work out as they happen.