+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
@jessicajoon , @Aish####a , @comarxx , @Person001 , @chris_k1988 ,@krstn29

Hi Girls & Guys,
You applied for TRV, with your spousal pr in process. I believe most of you already got it, congrats on that. I too, am preparing the TRV application and wanted to learn few things from your experience, before I finalize mine. Would be great if you can provide some insights to the following:

1-GCkey or IRCC portal? - which one would you suggest?
2-Invitation letter - no placeholder for that in IRCC portal. Should i just add it in Additional Docs?
3-Did you buy Travel or Health insurance and attach its payment receipt with TRV application? Will the provider even sell one for someone who is not in Canada yet? Where did you buy it from?
4-Amount for staying in Canada....if I show that my spouse will be staying for 6 months (even though i will clearly state the purpose is to stay here in Canada while Spousal PR gets completed, as explained in Family Reunification Program announcement)....what specific amount you suggest i put in the application -that's set aside for spouse? Any suggestions? 10k for 6 months?
5-Bank Statements: 3 or 6 month statements? Should it be the longer format, meaning showing item by item expenses for 6 months, OR just the summary pages for 6 months?
6-Did you buy the flight ticket and provided its copy? Was it return ticket? Did the CBSA agents ask about return tickets?

Grateful for your input and hopefully this helps others as well.
1-IRCC Portal
2- Sure, but didn't have one, was kind of part of financial support doc
3-Bought insurance after getting TRV
4-Said 10K, showed 100K+ TFSA
5-6 month itemized long form
6-Do not buy tickets in advance! Bought return ticket after getting TRV but CBSA did not ask to see.

However none of these points mean or guarantee anything. Just use this information to decide how you want to do your application because it's always a dice roll. Good luck with your application!

canadaimm313

Dec 9, 2022
hi guys

So i submitted a spousal sponsorship for my wife 3 months ago. We still have not gotten any AOR. Do i need to wait for the AOR or can i apply for TRV for the wife for now. She is coming from Colombia. thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hi guys

So i submitted a spousal sponsorship for my wife 3 months ago. We still have not gotten any AOR. Do i need to wait for the AOR or can i apply for TRV for the wife for now. She is coming from Colombia. thanks
You do not need to wait for the AOR (you 'can' apply now), but so far it seems that AOR is important for the TRV to be evaluated as for a spouse with a valid and complete application in process.

"Seems" because this is new and we do not entirely know.

Or put differently, she can apply for 'a' TRV, but it may mean that she won't be evaluated as applying under the new spousal TRV scheme. With, possibly, correspondingly higher chance of refusal.

Up to you.

Side note, three months is a bit long at present for AOR (I think), you might call IRCC and see if the application hasn't been returned.

Ekemini Kingz

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
hi guys

I would suggest that you call IRCC and get application number try to link using GCkey- if successfully link you can find UCI there and apply for TRV

Reactions: armoured

Fasih Sardar

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Visa Office......
LONDON VO
AOR Received.
Sep 2022
File Transfer...
file to LVO Nov 2022
Med's Request
Feb 2023
Med's Done....
Mar 2023
Interview........
NO
Good news after long long waiting
Got passport request for trv...
Applied trv for my wife and kids on june 4 2023.
Finally decision made on August 7 today
So happy
And best of luck to all brothers and sisters waiting for decision

Ad78

Star Member
May 31, 2020
The stamped passports (TRV) arrived at the VAC in Karachi today and the family went and collected them. Time to buy the tickets now!

Reactions: Ekemini Kingz

CADragon

Star Member
Jun 26, 2015
hi guys

Wait for the AOR.
once you get the AOR you'll have the UIC number which you can enter into your TRV application. so they would recognize it automatically. Before the AOR, technically you are applying for a normal TRV because they don't know for sure you have a family class sponsorship yet. (that's my opinion).

AF31

Aug 2, 2023
So happy
Hey,
my trv got refused and it is a generic refusal letter (179 b) so can you please tell me what did you put in for the purpose of visit? Also, if you can share more details about what you put in the application and on what basis did they approve yours so i can get an idea of what went wrong with my trv.
I'd really appreciate any help i can get from you. Thank you.

Reactions: Fasih Sardar

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
refused with same generic letter saying won’t leave Canada at the end of the stay. Applied June 23. Received refusal aug 10 today.
@Pindimurree @AF31
Question for both of you:
when you applied for TRV, had you already received AOR and Sponsorship Approval on your Spousal PR?
Or did you apply for TRV before receiving any of those emails?

Ahmedgull

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
So happy
Do you have Spousal Sponsorship application already going? Have you received AOR for that one?

AF31

Aug 2, 2023
@Pindimurree @AF31
Question for both of you:
when you applied for TRV, had you already received AOR and Sponsorship Approval on your Spousal PR?
Or did you apply for TRV before receiving any of those emails?
I received the AOR back in Feb and then applied for the trv in June.
Everything was provided and attached with the application.
You only receive the AOR when the PR application is complete so it's not like there was anything missing. Also, it has been 9 months since we submitted the PR sponsorship and don't understand what could be the possible reason for refusal so I ordered the visa officers note. This is just bs, keep going thru the same thing over and over again. The MP is of no help either, PR app is still stuck on the first step.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
I received the AOR back in Feb and then applied for the trv in June.
Everything was provided and attached with the application.
You only receive the AOR when the PR application is complete so it's not like there was anything missing. Also, it has been 9 months since we submitted the PR sponsorship and don't understand what could be the possible reason for refusal so I ordered the visa officers note. This is just bs, keep going thru the same thing over and over again. The MP is of no help either, PR app is still stuck on the first step.
I agree, actually BS is just a very very small word for this situation. The way our lives and decisions of life are impacted by the randomness of the whole process and the fact that its happening in 2023, its...actually.......#$%^! Few things that come in my mind....
disclaimer: just my rant - no facts here, you can skip this post.

#1-CIC timelines are random. For someone, from the same country, application will be done in 7-8 months and for other 2.5 years. All i know, is the moment you pass the timeline that's posted/updated on the CIC website, that's the time you can actually do something about it. And perhaps, may be someone will do something about it. But if its within those timelines, CIC/MP...anyone ....wont bother - perhaps because there are so many, hundreds of thousands of applications to go through.

#2-Long delays are common with nationals of certain countries. Specially if the applicant has lived or travelled and stayed more than 6 months in different locations in the world. Getting police confirmations from all of those places takes months and years, specially middle east!!!

#3-Did you get Sponsorship Approval? if not, just may be, it could be one of the few straws that may solve the puzzle about delays. Is the sponsor citizen? If not, is their application smoothly on the way to citizenship? Did the sponsor provide all tax related documents? has the sponsor faced any financial issues with the govt? Or some other kind?

#4-Sean Fraser has been switched to another role, we got a new IRCC Minister. And I have noticed on this forum, more TRV refusal since that switch..not sure its co-incidence or just my fault observation. I still believe that IRCC/CBSA is not willing to implement Sean Fraser's policy, because the policy was not complete OR no-one below the minister put in the effort to cross the T's and dot the i's. Things like, if spouse (with PR application) is entering Canada on TRV, whats the point of asking Financial ties to home? Whats the point of Return Ticket....those kind of things confuse officers who have to implement the policy on the ground - and it becomes messy. So i believe there is a resistance and thats' why uptick in refusal and that's why blatant use of 179(b)...and openly writing that inrefusals, even though it was said earlier that CIC officers will not be able to reject applications based on 179b. So there is some kind of reversal going on.

Unless we get in touch with an anonymous IRCC officer on this forum, this riddle of the crazy randomness in the progress and processing of applications will not be understood by me, at least.