+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
Hello Guys please help me out do I need return ticket or one way on TRV visa with along my son .
My wife’s daughter travelled to Canada with TRV and the airline didn’t say anything.
Cbsa asked about TRV for the daughter and my wife told cbsa that her daughter will stay in Canada as a visitor until she get permanent residence. The cbsa officer went to ask someone about it and then came back and let my wife and daughter into the country. This happened last week.

I think they are more lenient when it comes to minors regarding one way ticket but I would just honest with immigration or cbsa if they ask you.

Batkhan87

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
My wife’s daughter travelled to Canada with TRV and the airline didn’t say anything.
Cbsa asked about TRV for the daughter and my wife told cbsa that her daughter will stay in Canada as a visitor until she get permanent residence. The cbsa officer went to ask someone about it and then came back and let my wife and daughter into the country. This happened last week.

I think they are more lenient when it comes to minors regarding one way ticket but I would just honest with immigration or cbsa if they ask you.
Thank you

Batkhan87

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023

So it’s mean that with one way ticket is ok for my family on TRV visa to canada ? Can you please mention which airline allowed you on one way ticket on TRV visa to canada?

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
So it’s mean that with one way ticket is ok for my family on TRV visa to canada ? Can you please mention which airline allowed you on one way ticket on TRV visa to canada?
Firstly congrats that you got the TRV and within 2 weeks! Thats good.
Ok about entering Canada - return ticket or not. here's my suggestion, listen to others as well and do whatever you feel comfortable in.

Go to CIC webpage and print out the article about reunification program: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/05/canada-is-reuniting-loved-ones-through-new-immigration-measures-new-measures-also-address-labour-shortages-in-canada.html

Keep a print out of this page handy. Also, your AOR and SA emails from CIC. All those things should be handy. Once at Canadian immigration, keep it ready. You may say the following ...while handing the above papers to the Officer:

As per family reunification program, my spousal PR application is accepted and is being processed. I wanted to be together with my family in Canada sooner, while waiting for PR application to be finalized.
However, if there is any delay, I will make sure to exit Canada before the expiry of my visa (which you should know by then)...and return back when I have the Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

Officers will know, hopefully will be educated with new rules, that you can apply for Open work permit which is also explained in the same document. But saying the above, ensures that you respect Canadian laws and you understand the basic meaning of a TRV - its temporary. Thats my opinion.

Reactions: Batkhan87

Batkhan87

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
Firstly congrats that you got the TRV and within 2 weeks! Thats good.
Ok about entering Canada - return ticket or not. here's my suggestion, listen to others as well and do whatever you feel comfortable in.

Go to CIC webpage and print out the article about reunification program: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/05/canada-is-reuniting-loved-ones-through-new-immigration-measures-new-measures-also-address-labour-shortages-in-canada.html

Keep a print out of this page handy. Also, your AOR and SA emails from CIC. All those things should be handy. Once at Canadian immigration, keep it ready. You may say the following ...while handing the above papers to the Officer:

As per family reunification program, my spousal PR application is accepted and is being processed. I wanted to be together with my family in Canada sooner, while waiting for PR application to be finalized.
However, if there is any delay, I will make sure to exit Canada before the expiry of my visa (which you should know by then)...and return back when I have the Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

Officers will know, hopefully will be educated with new rules, that you can apply for Open work permit which is also explained in the same document. But saying the above, ensures that you respect Canadian laws and you understand the basic meaning of a TRV - its temporary. Thats my opinion.
Thank you so much

Ad78

Star Member
May 31, 2020
Congrats to all those who are getting their TRVs in 10 days, 2 weeks etc. A moment of silence for people like me, though: Submitted TRV application on 24 May 2023, and zero progress since then. It may have been because of a little googly in my situation with the TRV application, though: one of my kids hadn't gotten the biometrics done because they were under 14 at the time of the PR application (since then turned 14), and it took over a month after submitting the TRV application to get their biometrics done (because IRCC were not issuing the BIL). Regardless, it still shouldn't take this long, but then again, IRCC has been extremely slow with everything in all of my dealings with them over the years (my own PR application, mother's TRV, spousal sponsorship, and now TRV). For now, neither the GC Key account nor the Tracker shows any kind of change whatsoever. Even the eligibility hasn't started. It's the luck of the draw, I guess.

Reactions: dmmarkazi

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
Congrats to all those who are getting their TRVs in 10 days, 2 weeks etc. A moment of silence for people like me, though: Submitted TRV application on 24 May 2023, and zero progress since then. It may have been because of a little googly in my situation with the TRV application, though: one of my kids hadn't gotten the biometrics done because they were under 14 at the time of the PR application (since then turned 14), and it took over a month after submitting the TRV application to get their biometrics done (because IRCC were not issuing the BIL). Regardless, it still shouldn't take this long, but then again, IRCC has been extremely slow with everything in all of my dealings with them over the years (my own PR application, mother's TRV, spousal sponsorship, and now TRV). For now, neither the GC Key account nor the Tracker shows any kind of change whatsoever. Even the eligibility hasn't started. It's the luck of the draw, I guess.
Same here. June 26 TRV. No progress at all. Spouse is in Pakistan.

Batkhan87

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
Best wishes for you . I hope good news come to you soon.

Reactions: Ad78

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
she came via Philippine airline. One way ticket was only for a 4 year dependent. My wife is a PR and she doesn’t need a return ticket.
The airline did ask my wife if she has return ticket and when my wife told them that she is a PR… they didn’t need to see the return ticket.

Reactions: Batkhan87

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just an update my loves ones already flew from our home country and they where asked about return ticket by airline and immigration. I did not buy a return ticket on purpose. I made my spouse print all the pdf letter frim IRCC such as aor, sa, med & bio requests and pre arrival.

My spouse just showed our application from prtracker and gckey that all is completed and final decision has been made respectively.

Also by chance I just checked now, copr details is already reflected in prtracker. Now they will just show CBSA the trv and copr in prtracker.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Just an update my loves ones already flew from our home country and they where asked about return ticket by airline and immigration. I did not buy a return ticket on purpose. I made my spouse print all the pdf letter frim IRCC such as aor, sa, med & bio requests and pre arrival.

My spouse just showed our application from prtracker and gckey that all is completed and final decision has been made respectively.

Also by chance I just checked now, copr details is already reflected in prtracker. Now they will just show CBSA the trv and copr in prtracker.
Bro....Congrats...glad to hear your family is on their way to their new home!!!! :)

I have to thank you..for taking your time to come to back to this forum and share something everyone is dreading about..
when traveling on TRV, to buy or not to buy.....the return ticket.....i'm so glad that you have cleared that for all of us.

Not to buy a return ticket! But also back it up, with every single possible piece of info that will satisfy Officer at the airport.
Though, it will still leave some doubt for many of us, who have not yet received pre-arrival or COPR. Will the airline let them sit in the plane when they have just the TRV + AOR + SA

Still, great to know. Pls keep us posted. Im sure their travel and arrival will go all smooth. Let us know what questions CBSA usually asks.. i feel like i'm getting the cheat sheet from you....lol!