+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for parents - 5 months

AM123

Jan 27, 2017
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen, canadian PR, currently working in a software company in Canada. I have been here for 3 years now and want my parents to visit me for 4 -5 months .

The purpose of their trip would primarily be sight seeing - Banff, Niagra, vancouver etc. My father is a retired government employee , Indian citizen with around 600k INR as bank balance, regular pension of around 13k INR and a house, a car etc. registered in his name. My mother is a house wife who has same amount in her bank account.
I earn around 90K CAD each year and have roughly 20K in my account.

Should I be booking my parents's tickets in advance so as to prove to CIC that they would not be over staying ? Apart from main form, family information and photographs , is their anything that I should produce to avoid TRV rejection ? If I dont book their tickets in advance - what documents do I produce to prove to CIC that my parents wont be overstaying?

Thanks!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

As you dad has retired + your mom is a home maker, stating a visit of 4-5 months would make their application weaker as they don't have particularly strong ties to return to. They must ask for 2-3 weeks max.

To answer your questions:
Should I be booking my parents's tickets in advance so as to prove to CIC that they would not be over staying ?
It's not a good idea to book tickets in advance. Include flight itineraries instead and state that confirmed tickets will be booked when the TRVs are issued.

Apart from main form, family information and photographs , is their anything that I should produce to avoid TRV rejection
What documents will each of your parents submit?

Do they have any other financial investments (FDs, RDs, mutual funds, shares, etc)?

Do your parents live with other family members who are dependent on them?

Have your parents traveled to other countries, especially like the US/ UK/ Schengen/ Australia, etc?

What documents will you provide as the host?

Does your dad have to return to renew his pension?

Is your dad entitled to any other post-retirement benefits?

Cheers

AM123

Jan 27, 2017
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes they do have investments like FDs in their name and yes my dad does have to be India to renew his pension in November / December.

Are there any documents which I should produce to strengthen their case ? Visit for 2-3 weeks is no use and I would like them to visit us for 4-5 months .

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You can go through this forum, including my replies to other similar queries.

Unless you post the details which are specific to your parents situation (i.e. the questions I had posted earlier), it is difficult to give you suggestions

AM123

Jan 27, 2017
Bryanna said:
Hi,here are the answers to your questions :

What documents will each of your parents submit?
- I was thinking of bank statements and FDs for both of them . Property documents for my dad.

Do they have any other financial investments (FDs, RDs, mutual funds, shares, etc)? Yes FDs.

Do your parents live with other family members who are dependent on them? - no they don't .

Have your parents traveled to other countries, especially like the US/ UK/ Schengen/ Australia, etc? - no this would be their first trip outside India.

What documents will you provide as the host? - detailed invitation letter which has our travel
Plans for next 4-5 months. My pay slips and bank account details .. my apartment lease document and PR copy.

Does your dad have to return to renew his pension? - yes my dad has to return to renew his pension in December or November every year

Is your dad entitled to any other post-retirement benefits?
No

Kindly help !

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Do go through the Document Checklist and Visa Office instructions here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp?countrySelect=IN#applications

- I was thinking of bank statements and FDs for both of them . Property documents for my dad.
For each of your parents: 6 months bank statements (the balance must match their declared sources of income, nothing borrowed) + 2 years ITRs + FDs (copies of it + letters from the banks that the FDs are not mortgaged and can be liquidated if required + FD interest certificate).

You can also purchase a refundable overseas travel medical insurance policy for the intended dates of their visit. This is not mandatory, but it could help.

For property ownership:
Ownership documents (translated into English) + latest property tax receipts + self-valuation/valuation by a CA for the current market value + if the property is not mortgaged then highlight this fact as it indicates a good financial situation

For your dad: Pension statement + evidence that he must return to renew it

I would again suggest to keep their visit to 2-3 weeks. Not 4-5 months. Prepare a day-by-day itinerary with expense estimates and your parents must prove that they can afford the visit + airfare.

For TRVs, your parents' financial situation is important. Your finances are secondary.

From you: Invitation letter + copies of your passport and PR card + Employment letter + bank statement + NOA

Your parents must include some other reason to return by a specific date. For example, a wedding in the immediate family, or a housing society AGM, or any other property related matter

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
AM123 said:
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes they do have investments like FDs in their name and yes my dad does have to be India to renew his pension in November / December.

Are there any documents which I should produce to strengthen their case ? Visit for 2-3 weeks is no use and I would like them to visit us for 4-5 months .
My parents asked for 1.5 months of visa, they got 5 years.
Usually CIC issues visa until passport expiry. So I would also recommend make a stronger case.
1 month is reasonable to make a trip itinerary. Book some refundable hotels for your trips to banff, niagra, etc, make a day by day trip itinerary.
Also show your pr card, bank balance, employment letter, tax assessment, etc.
Once your parents get the visa, they can stay upto 6 months.

smartindian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
hi folks,

sub: Indian citizens need Travel Madical Insurance for Canada.

I study in University of Calgary and my parents will visit Canada in April to Sept (165 days).
My father : 75 years old, had a heart attack in 2011 but stable from then. No hospitalization after that.
He takes regular medications (aspirin etc.) and will bring with him from India.
Mother: 61 years old completely healthy.

I checked with "Safevisit insurance" and they asked my price of $ 1500 for my father and $ 1000 for my mother.
It is too expensive for me.

I already checked policybazar.com and getting similar price from "Religare insurance".
Kindly advice me any Indian insurance company which can cover their medical insurance.

suggestions pls.............

Best regards,
Rashmi

smartindian

Star Member
May 27, 2016
Feb 23th: Application submitted (with passport) for my Parents at Thomascook Office Chandigarh
March 17th: Passport Received with 10 years Visa

Applied for 40 days visit only.

Thomascook handling fee: 2000 INR per person
(Thomascook staff found few mistakes in documents and gave valuable advice).

AM123

Jan 27, 2017
Hello Folks,

While trying to upload documents online - I do not see any option to upload main form IMM5257E. Is there anything wrong ?
Also in the section where I upload documents for my mother, I see only option to upload digital photo, passport and family information form ? Where should I upload proof of finance , main form IMM5257E etc ?? Could anyone please help urgently !!

Also, a question related to agricultural land owned by my dad. He owns 3.5 acres of agriculatural land. We got a notarized document signed by first class judicial magistrate verifying the same in English language along with its approx. current market price. Should this be enough ?

If we have to produce a 'self valuation' document, is there any format for the same ?

Thanks!!!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
AM123 said:
Also, a question related to agricultural land owned by my dad. He owns 3.5 acres of agriculatural land. We got a notarized document signed by first class judicial magistrate verifying the same in English language along with its approx. current market price. Should this be enough ?

If we have to produce a 'self valuation' document, is there any format for the same ?
No, a notarized document for the agricultural land will not work. Even if it is from a JMFC.

Actual land ownership documents are required, translated into English.

Does your dad earn income from this land? Does he file any tax returns for it or a 'Form J'? If yes, then you must include those as well.

Regarding the valuation of land, you can check if there's a Ready Reckoner for land with the government property department + a CA/property or land valuer can do the valuation.

Self-valuation will not be possible as most property realty reports (if you can get access to them) are for constructed properties

AM123

Jan 27, 2017
Thanks Bryanna. No he doesn't earn anything from it , its ancestral property. So a translated document , stamped by advocate (who would translate it)?
You didn't answer my question about the option of main form upload not visible in my online application. What could I do about it ??

Additionally my dad doesn't pay any property tax as the Provo ce wheee he lives doesn't levy any property tax on its residents!!

Btw- thank u so much for replying to our posts. You are doing a noble deed!

lvl_stella

Dec 21, 2015
Hi Bryanna,
I am applying for my family to come to Canada for 3 weeks. I am on a work permit and my application for PR under family sponsorship (common-law) is being reviewed at the moment. I applied in Dec 2016. My partner is a Canadian citizen and is willing to co-sign an invitation letter. I understand that the letter might not mean so much, since I am not a PR yet, but I thought it helps.
My dad is retired but receives benefits and pension income regularly, and so does my mom. They have properties of their own and rental income. I have their bank statements, income slips, and property documents. They also have parents to take care of , which could be another tie to home country. They only traveled to Mecca (mom once and dad twice) for a couple of weeks.
my sister , however, is 25 and single. she works for a photographer as an assistant in their store, and also helps looking after the photographer's 7-year old. My dad and herself have been saving up money in an account for her, so she has financial support proof; other than that , I am not sure how to prove a strong tie for her to her home country;maybe going back to take care of my parents?
she also does not have any travel history.
I want to invite them over here , so that they meet my partner and we get a small engagement party.
I had decided to apply for my dad and my sister separate from my mom, but from what i have read so far in this forum,looks like it's better to apply for all together; right?
any suggestions and input would be much appreciated.

I also have a plan to take them sightseeing in Canada and will pride an itinerary.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Your mom and dad have good chances of getting TRVs. Do prepare the paperwork well. If you need help/advice with it, let me know.

As for your sister's situation, do provide more details:
1. Since how long has she been working? Does she have an appointment letter + pay stubs + bank statements to confirm her salary deposits/transfers?

2. Does she file tax returns?

3. Is she a member of a professional photographers association?

4. Does she have any photography assignments lined up after her intended visit? Or regular on-going assignments which require her presence?

5. Since when has she been saving up? Is it adequate to pay for her visit/airfare?

6. Can she sign up for a professional course (start date after her intended visit)?

7. Do your grandparents live with your parents? Can they take care of themselves temporarily without your parents?

Whether you should apply for all three of them together or two first/other one later would depend on their individual strong ties

Cheers

lvl_stella

Dec 21, 2015
Thank you for the quick reply.

My sister is not a member of a professional association. she does have enough funds to cover for her trip , and she has proof of transfers of money from her employer to her account for almost two years. she does not file income tax. Actually a lot of people do not file income tax in Iran since it is done more on business income than personal income. She can sign up for a course; that is no problem. My grandmother lives by herself technically, but she stays with my mom and my aunts quite a bit,too.
Do you think I should wait a little more until I get my PR?
Also, I have heard paper application has a better chance of going through than online; is that right do you think?:
Thanks a million :)