+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for Mother in law refused

xelatoille

Jan 27, 2016
Hi there,
My mother in law applied for a visitor visa and was refused. She is 80 years old so my husband pretty much did everything for her and signed as representative. She gets pension but not enough for covering her expenses so we are paying for her flights and stay ( we provided proof of our funds and an explanation letter). My husband's nephew also applied for a visitor visa within this application,, since she hasn't traveled in more than 50 years and doesn't speak the language we though it would be crazy to bring her by herself, so her grandson( my husband's nephew) offered to come with her to help. We also included a letter of explanation for this, and he provided a letter from his university proving he is currently in the middle of his studies, no plan on staying here.

They refused because of : Travel History- Family ties in Canada and in country of residence- Personal assets and financial status.
So, she hasn't traveled in years and he hasn't been outside of the country. I understand this reason, although find it stupid because they didn't all of a sudden decide to go somewhere random for tourism, we are inviting them here to spend time with us. The only family they have in Canada is us, they have everyone back home. My mother in law has 6 daughters back home, 9 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren, so why is Family Ties an issue?
As for financial status and assets, we provided our financial proof since we explained we are paying for this trip. so we are financially responsible. The only thing that I think we could add when we apply next that we didn't before is proof that my mother in law owns her apartment. Her grandson is 22, and in college. No assets at the moment he could show...

My husband hasn't seen her mom in over 3 years, she hasn't met our babies yet and we can't visit because of work. This was something that we were all looking forward to and it seems pretty unfair:(

If you have any suggestions on how we could have a succesful second attempt I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long a trip did she request?

xelatoille

Jan 27, 2016
scylla said:
How long a trip did she request?
Only for a month. That's all her grandson could take off school, plus they wanted to be back home for Christmas, so depending on how long it took to get visa stamped we were hoping to have them here most of November.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. Did you include proofs of travel medical insurance for the duration of her visit (although this is not mandatory)?

2. Does she live with any of her daughters?

She gets pension but not enough for covering her expenses
Hope you did not mention that her pension is inadequate to take care of her expenses in the invitation letter. This will work against her as it shows a weak financial situation.

You can mention that you and your husband would like to gift her this holiday + to see your new home country, etc etc

Does she have to return to renew the pension? If yes, any evidence for this.

Does she have any financial investments.... bank term deposits + some bank balance, for example?

The only family they have in Canada is us, they have everyone back home. My mother in law has 6 daughters back home, 9 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren, so why is Family Ties an issue?
I guess it is because her financial situation is not strong as you will be paying for her visit + if her daughters do not live with her/live in different cities then they do not exactly count as family ties.

The only thing that I think we could add when we apply next that we didn't before is proof that my mother in law owns her apartment.
This will help. Do include property ownership documents + valuation of the apartment as per the current market rates.

Does she live in this apartment or is it rented out?

Her grandson is 22, and in college. No assets at the moment he could show...
Did he provide evidence of tuition fees + mark sheets + evidence of any exams scheduled for after his visit?

Also, hope you did not mention that the grandson is visiting because your mom-in-law may not be able to travel alone

Cheers

redherring

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
20-01-2017
AOR Received.
06-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-01-2017
Interview........
23-01-2018
LANDED..........
23-01-2018
Hi,

I think the apartment title would really help this would show that your mother-in-law is settled in her home country and that she'll go back. You could also write a cover letter and stating how you addressed the reasons for refusal on your second attempt. Maybe include bank statements or any investments (insurance, time deposit, mutual funds, etc.) as well if she has? Even though she's not paying for the trip, I think the visa officer would still check if she has the funds to support herself. If you have flight reservations, that might be helpful. For travel history, maybe just state it in the letter stating the countries she has traveled to and maybe explain to them why she hasn't traveled after that.

Just to add to what Bryanna said about renewing her pension, if she has important events to attend to after her stay, she could include it to the letter and attach the program sheet/invitation (wedding, first birthday, anniversary parties, etc.).

xelatoille

Jan 27, 2016
Bryanna said:
Hi,

1. Did you include proofs of travel medical insurance for the duration of her visit (although this is not mandatory)?

We didn't, but we will for next time

2. Does she live with any of her daughters?
She lives with 2 of her daughters, one of them actually has cerebral palsy and she is her primary caregiver.
Maybe stating this and providing proof might help?

Hope you did not mention that her pension is inadequate to take care of her expenses in the invitation letter. This will work against her as it shows a weak financial situation.
You can mention that you and your husband would like to gift her this holiday + to see your new home country, etc etc
Good idea. We did not mention her pension was inadequate.

Does she have to return to renew the pension? If yes, any evidence for this.
No, it's automatic deposits.

Does she have any financial investments.... bank term deposits + some bank balance, for example?
Her funds won't prove to be enough but we will still provide bank balance and proof of pension deposit.

I guess it is because her financial situation is not strong as you will be paying for her visit + if her daughters do not live with her/live in different cities then they do not exactly count as family ties.
She lives with 2 daughters and the rest live very close, same city. This was mentioned in one of the forms where they asked about family and their addresses.

Does she live in this apartment or is it rented out?
She owns the apartment. We will provide the ownership documents.

Did he provide evidence of tuition fees + mark sheets + evidence of any exams scheduled for after his visit?
It is a public university( free). Most universities are free in my country. He had a letter from the dean, but we will include more proof like mark sheets and future exams like you are suggesting.

Also, hope you did not mention that the grandson is visiting because your mom-in-law may not be able to travel alone
We didn't, but I thought I should mention this on our second attempt... it's a bad idea?

Thank you so much for all you help!

xelatoille

Jan 27, 2016
redherring said:
Hi,

I think the apartment title would really help this would show that your mother-in-law is settled in her home country and that she'll go back. You could also write a cover letter and stating how you addressed the reasons for refusal on your second attempt. Maybe include bank statements or any investments (insurance, time deposit, mutual funds, etc.) as well if she has? Even though she's not paying for the trip, I think the visa officer would still check if she has the funds to support herself. If you have flight reservations, that might be helpful. For travel history, maybe just state it in the letter stating the countries she has traveled to and maybe explain to them why she hasn't traveled after that.

Just to add to what Bryanna said about renewing her pension, if she has important events to attend to after her stay, she could include it to the letter and attach the program sheet/invitation (wedding, first birthday, anniversary parties, etc.).
I think a cover letter is a great idea!
I'll be gathering as much as possible to address all the reasons cor refusal.
Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions!