+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for mom - proof of funds/ties to home country

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just sharing my experience with the TRV application for my mom coming from the Philippines. She is 62 years old, no asset whatsoever and basically I have been providing for her financial needs for 15 years now. I am currently pregnant. Myself and husband are both PR, both still working and have just a little savings to show in our bank account. We made an invitation letter for my mom stating that we would love for her to come over to provide family support in time for my delivery. We also said that we will be responsible for all of her expenses, and that we intend for her to stay with us for 6 months. This letter was not notarized or anything, just signed by myself and husband. Apart from our identifications, we did provide a copy of our certifcate of employment letters, T2, paystubs and our not-so-chunky bank statement. Also a copy of my mom's and myself's joint bank statement in the Philippines to establish that I have been supporting her all along albeit this bank account is like a pass-through of funds only, no balance. If there is only one edge we are counting on for the approval, it was her travel history - she's traveled to Australia for 3 months a few years back. Thankfully our application was approved in less than a week's time after biometrics submission.

I guess what I am trying to say is that to those intending to sponsor a family member (particularly parents) for a TRV in Canada, just be truthful with your application / declaration. Don't be intimidated if your invitee does not have the funds - just collect documents that you think will help demonstrate your capability to host. Making-up funds on your invitee's name just because you read somewhere here that chances of getting approved is slim if your family does not have a fund of their own will only jeopardize your application. Additionally, putting as a purpose of the visit - family support for child delivery or family assistance in the caring of a new born child is perfectly fine, please don't listen to those that are saying it may not be a compelling reason to convince a visa officer. And oh, it is my understanding that people working in a visa office/consulate/embassy are citizens of the country they represent hence I do not believe that it is a big deal which country you are applying from as these officers have the same training. I think that it would only differ country-to-country if your fellow countrymen has some sort history of violating immigration laws of the country they intend to go to in which case visa officers maybe a little stringent :)
Wow not sure you realize how lucky you are. Most cases we see with even stronger savings are usually approved.

Reactions: Bryanna

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My take on visa matters:
One size truly does not fit all. Not everyone will be lucky to have sympathetic visa officers. And, why must someone hope for sympathetic visa officer. Visas are like allowing others to enter your home. Visa officers have the duty to scrutinize who can/cannot enter.

Do your very best for the situation/documents you have in hand. What worked for someone (s/he got lucky) may/may not work for others

Reactions: SHENJUTI

LLJ

Dec 27, 2011
Wow not sure you realize how lucky you are. Most cases we see with even stronger savings are usually approved.
Yes we consider ourselves lucky and blessed. Just glad we went ahead without being intimidated, declared everything truthfully, and thankful that the Manila visa office has plenty of ‘extremely sympathetic’ Canadian visa officers. Bottom line is that one must try to provide all the requirements and be truthful about their applications. And at the end of the day, always remember that decisions are subjective to the case officer allocated to you.

Braveheart613

Aug 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Hello Everyone,

I am preparing documents to re-apply for my Mother's TRV - visitor visa in mid April.

She has been refused for TRV-Visitors's visa application last June 2018 for the following reason:

**Personal Assets and Financial status
**Insufficient funds including income or assets
**Not provided sufficient documentation to support host's income and assets.

My mother is 65 years old, Unemployed and no pension but she own a Land with her name on the Land Title.

This time, me a (canadian citizen) and my sister (PR) signed the letter of Invitation and provide the required documents to support our income and assets.

What are her chances of getting the approval, since she have accumulated a fund that sums up to $20,000 cad for her travel. Me and my other 4 siblings are sending her money for her daily needs every month and extra for her savings, and also one of my brother opened her a Bank account as a gift for her 65th Birthday. Is it credible that she have that Big amount of money but never been employed?

Thanking you in advance :)