+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for minor child of PR holders

lenk_helen

Jul 24, 2011
Hi, hope anyone with similar experience can help. My husband and I landed in Canada to activate our PR in 2009, received our PR cards and left for UK to continue our work contract. Our 5 y.o., although she had a PR visa, did not come with us to Canada to land, and her visa expired later in 2009.
At the moment we are in UK, working on a working visa which expires in 2013 (we are Ukrainian citizens).
But in 2012 we are planning to go to Canada to stay permanently. So now our goal is for my daughter to travel with us, is it possible at all without one of parents going to Canada first to sponsor her ?

Can I apply for a travel visa for her (advising that our intentions are to visit Canada only, I can provide proofs that my husband and I are continuing employment in UK as our working visa expires in 2013) ?
If all works out, we sponsor her from inside Canada? or Do we have to apply for travel visa for her and declare our intentions to settle in Canada and sponsor her from inside Canada straightaway.

Thank you for your help !

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try for a TRV. If they refuse your TRV, you can try for a TRP. If all else fails, one of you goes to Canada to sponsor the child while the other one waits with the child in the UK.

Remember that in order to meet the residency requirements, a PR must be in Canada for at least 730 days in their first 5 years as a PR and any 5 year period after that.

lenk_helen

Jul 24, 2011
Thank you Leon, but when applying for her visa which way is likely to succeed : declaring our intentions of returning to Canada to settle and to sponser our child straightaway or saying she is joining us for a tourist trip (and we are going their too as tourists only based on our PR) and we can demostrate this with our work contracts in UK, etc ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TRV is often not approved if they think the person is coming to stay permanently, that is why you have the TRP backup. It is not advisable to lie to immigration about your intentions.