Doc's Request.
25-06-2018
AOR Received.
23-09-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
LANDED..........
28-02-2019
My wife was pregnant back in 2017. At that time, I was on a study permit and she was on an open work permit. I was a full-time student and she was unemployed. My mother-in-law applied for a visitor visa three times in a row between February and May 2017 and she was rejected all three times.

That pregnancy ended in a still birth at 38 weeks. We then had an early miscarriage before we have our healthy daughter. Later in April 2019, my wife had an ectopic pregnancy and went through a critical surgery to save her life. Now she is pregnant again and she is due this September.

My mother-in-law have not applied for a visa since her first three attempts. Is it worth it to apply for a TRV now or she will likely be refused due to COVID-19? Right now, both me and my wife are PRs and I have been working full-time with a decent salary for more than 2 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wife was pregnant back in 2017. At that time, I was on a study permit and she was on an open work permit. I was a full-time student and she was unemployed. My mother-in-law applied for a visitor visa three times in a row between February and May 2017 and she was rejected all three times.

That pregnancy ended in a still birth at 38 weeks. We then had an early miscarriage before we have our healthy daughter. Later in April 2019, my wife had an ectopic pregnancy and went through a critical surgery to save her life. Now she is pregnant again and she is due this September.

My mother-in-law have not applied for a visa since her first three attempts. Is it worth it to apply for a TRV now or she will likely be refused due to COVID-19? Right now, both me and my wife are PRs and I have been working full-time with a decent salary for more than 2 years.
What were the refusal reasons for the three earlier TRVs? Do you think your wife's mother can overcome these refusal reasons this time by submitting a stronger application?

mgelgendy

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Doc's Request.
25-06-2018
AOR Received.
23-09-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
LANDED..........
28-02-2019
What were the refusal reasons for the three earlier TRVs? Do you think your wife's mother can overcome these refusal reasons this time by submitting a stronger application?
The officers were not satisfied that she would leave Canada at the end of her stay due to travel history and personal assets. There were also concerns regarding the host's income.

This time my father in law will apply along side her. He has a much better travel history and much more financial assets. Also, my financial situation has significantly improved now that I am working full time. Not sure if this is enough to strengthen the application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The officers were not satisfied that she would leave Canada at the end of her stay due to travel history and personal assets. There were also concerns regarding the host's income.

This time my father in law will apply along side her. He has a much better travel history and much more financial assets. Also, my financial situation has significantly improved now that I am working full time. Not sure if this is enough to strengthen the application.
Certainly no harm trying provided you don't mind losing the application fees. Make sure she declares all of her past refusals in the new application.

Reactions: mgelgendy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you qualify for supervisa now? That may be a better option. Agree there is no harm trying and I am very sorry to hear about your stillbirth. Things like an ectopic pregnancy and a stillbirth doesn't mean that you won't have a perfectly normal pregnancy with this child like your other child. Just so you know in a situation like a stillbirth you could have attempted a PHAC application to be able to travel on compassionate reasons to provide support for the family and/or to attend a funeral.

mgelgendy

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Doc's Request.
25-06-2018
AOR Received.
23-09-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
LANDED..........
28-02-2019
Do you qualify for supervisa now? That may be a better option. Agree there is no harm trying and I am very sorry to hear about your stillbirth. Things like an ectopic pregnancy and a stillbirth doesn't mean that you won't have a perfectly normal pregnancy with this child like your other child. Just so you know in a situation like a stillbirth you could have attempted a PHAC application to be able to travel on compassionate reasons to provide support for the family and/or to attend a funeral.
Thank you!

That's really good to know. I have never heard of the PHAC application before today. Will definitely keep this in mind for later.

I think they do qualify for a supervisa. I was thinking about it at the beginning but then I thought the chances for rejection is higher with a supervisa, than with a regular visitor visa.

The major issue with my mother in law I think was that she did not travel much before and that she is unemployed. Also, I had a very minimal income as a student back then.

Do you think we would have a higher chance of getting a supervisa, than a regular one?

mgelgendy

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Doc's Request.
25-06-2018
AOR Received.
23-09-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
LANDED..........
28-02-2019
Certainly no harm trying provided you don't mind losing the application fees. Make sure she declares all of her past refusals in the new application.
I do not mind losing the fees. What I am concerned about is the effect of another rejection on future applications. The dilemma I am in is should I:

1- give it a try right now, or
2- wait until travel restrictions ease a bit and try then.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do not mind losing the fees. What I am concerned about is the effect of another rejection on future applications. The dilemma I am in is should I:

1- give it a try right now, or
2- wait until travel restrictions ease a bit and try then.
Are you from India? If so whether she can travel maybe dependent on whether Canada shuts their borders for a while. Processing/getting visas may become more difficult also given closures.

Assume your in-laws did their biometrics already. Would personally recommend a supervisa. There is more focus on the applicant in Canada versus the TRV but it is impossible to say. You applied at a very different time in your lives when you were relatively new to Canada and didn't have permanent status or good incomes so it is really hard to compare both scenarios.

mgelgendy

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Doc's Request.
25-06-2018
AOR Received.
23-09-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
LANDED..........
28-02-2019
Are you from India? If so whether she can travel maybe dependent on whether Canada shuts their borders for a while. Processing/getting visas may become more difficult also given closures.

Assume your in-laws did their biometrics already. Would personally recommend a supervisa. There is more focus on the applicant in Canada versus the TRV but it is impossible to say. You applied at a very different time in your lives when you were relatively new to Canada and didn't have permanent status or good incomes so it is really hard to compare both scenarios.
We are from Egypt. I will check the Supervisa application and see what I can find.

Thank you!

mgelgendy

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Doc's Request.
25-06-2018
AOR Received.
23-09-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
LANDED..........
28-02-2019
If only your MIL applies her husband could provide an additional ties to Egypt.
So you are saying it might be better that she applies on her own and uses her husband as a tie to Egypt? instead of both of them applying together?

The thing is my FIL own several real estate properties and is a full time professor in a university in Egypt. I was thinking of using his ties to strengthen the application. They also have young kids in school in Egypt.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So you are saying it might be better that she applies on her own and uses her husband as a tie to Egypt? instead of both of them applying together?

The thing is my FIL own several real estate properties and is a full time professor in a university in Egypt. I was thinking of using his ties to strengthen the application. They also have young kids in school in Egypt.
Does your FIL want to travel? If not then I would suggest she apply on her own. Having young children at home if they both apply for a supervisa creates ties to their home country but also creates concern about why they are leaving their children for so long.

mgelgendy

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Doc's Request.
25-06-2018
AOR Received.
23-09-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
LANDED..........
28-02-2019
Here is an update. I applied for both my father-in-law and mother-in-law in the first week of October, got passport request on first week of December. Thanks a lot for you help!