+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for father: Weak family ties to the home country and a host with scant finances

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
Dear forum members

I arrived in Canada in the first week of Sept 2020 as a PR. I got a minimum wage full-time job last month. My spouse and children (also PR: soft landing June 2019) are still in the home country living with my father. I want to apply TRV for my father. His situation is as follows:

Facts
1) Age 75 years; Widower
2) CAD 20k in two bank accounts; CAD 60k in FD; Pension to the tune of CAD500
3) House and two other immovable properties in his name
4) A stable white collar job but with cash salary. He can show the employment letter and pay slips.

Concerns

1) I have no siblings and my mother has passed away. So, I am the only child of my father. Does this adversely affect his chances of getting TRV in terms of sufficient ties to the home country? However, my father has a dependent sister to look after.
2) I intend to apply for his TRV in December 2020 and request for a 4 week visa for March 2021 Since I landed in September, is three months of my stay in Canada a good enough time to apply for father's TRV?
3) My own Canadian bank account has only CAD 1200 as of now. How could that play out?
4) Should I submit my 'minimum wage' job letter with father's application, considering that I also have to help my spouse and children sustain in the home country?

Summary

a) How much my personal financial situation in Canada matter for father's TRV?
b) Can weak family ties in the home country be a decisive factor in outcome even if the applicant has enough financial ties there?

Thanking you all in anticipation :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi bellaluna.

He has been to Saudi Arabia twice, in 2008 and 2018.
Awww, was hoping it would be some place like the US or Europe. Unfortunately, this doesn't help.

You can still try to apply for your father, on the basis of his finances. Everything else (especially your own situation) makes it a bit of a long shot, IMO.

Reactions: indigo87

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It appears as though your father is trying to move to Canada with your spouse and children. He can't move to Canada so even if he did get a TRV he would need to return home at some point. If approved he would also need to pay for a travel medical policy that provides 300-500K of coverage because if he got sick it would bankrupt your family. Chances aren't great but you should try.

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
It appears as though your father is trying to move to Canada with your spouse and children. He can't move to Canada so even if he did get a TRV he would need to return home at some point. If approved he would also need to pay for a travel medical policy that provides 300-500K of coverage because if he got sick it would bankrupt your family. Chances aren't great but you should try.
Thanks @canuck78 . Yes, it appears that way and that is a problem. In actual fact, he does not want to move to Canada although we want him to be able to visit at will. I will give it a try though. Thanks once again for the input :).

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
Awww, was hoping it would be some place like the US or Europe. Unfortunately, this doesn't help.

You can still try to apply for your father, on the basis of his finances. Everything else (especially your own situation) makes it a bit of a long shot, IMO.
Thanks @bellaluna . I will give it a try and see how it goes. If we get a negative decision, there is always the option to apply once I get a better job and stable finances :). Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks @canuck78 . Yes, it appears that way and that is a problem. In actual fact, he does not want to move to Canada although we want him to be able to visit at will. I will give it a try though. Thanks once again for the input :).
What is the rush then? You should wait until you are more established, your family has moved to Canada and then eventually apply for TRV.

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
What is the rush then? You should wait until you are more established, your family has moved to Canada and then eventually apply for TRV.
My family intends to move around January 2022 due to my spouse's study commitments. My mother passed away last month. I thought it would be great for him and me if we could spend some time together and he could visit Canada for a change. Do you think that a refusal at this stage could hamper his chances of visa later when I am more established?

Tala20-5

Oct 21, 2017
Putting in mind TRV already taking almost a year because of the COVID suitation and knowing the circumstances you described .i advice you to do it now.Just concentrate on your father financial ( which is really really good) just mention your job in your invitation letter That your dad will pay for his travel expenses and that your are going to offer him accomdiation.
Even if you wait there is no grantees.These thing is A God will over anything and matter of luck.
You intention is Nobel and I promise you God will reward that .GO 4 it NOW.

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
Putting in mind TRV already taking almost a year because of the COVID suitation and knowing the circumstances you described .i advice you to do it now.Just concentrate on your father financial ( which is really really good) just mention your job in your invitation letter That your dad will pay for his travel expenses and that your are going to offer him accomdiation.
Even if you wait there is no grantees.These thing is A God will over anything and matter of luck.
You intention is Nobel and I promise you God will reward that .GO 4 it NOW.
Thank you very much for your empathy :).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My family intends to move around January 2022 due to my spouse's study commitments. My mother passed away last month. I thought it would be great for him and me if we could spend some time together and he could visit Canada for a change. Do you think that a refusal at this stage could hamper his chances of visa later when I am more established?
Yes one application should be fine without any negative consequences. If denied I would get GCMS notes to see why you were denied. I would then work to overcome these issues. Multiple applications in a short period of time have negative implications because it show desperation to come to Canada. I wouldn't highlight the issue that he was recently widowed and focus more on his ties to his home country and why he will return home. Does he need to return home to receive his pension? If so I would highlight this.

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
Yes one application should be fine without any negative consequences. If denied I would get GCMS notes to see why you were denied. I would then work to overcome these issues. Multiple applications in a short period of time have negative implications because it show desperation to come to Canada. I wouldn't highlight the issue that he was recently widowed and focus more on his ties to his home country and why he will return home. Does he need to return home to receive his pension? If so I would highlight this.
Thank you for the valuable advice @canuck78 . Pension directly hits his account but there are a number of other things for which he would have to return. I will apply next month. Thanks :)