+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV extension and spousal sponsorship

Bacrs

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
Hello, I have a few doubts about extension and sponsorship that I cant seem to clarify. I'm currently residing in Canada under a TRV, which entry expires in about 7 weeks. I recently got married here in Canada to my canadian fiance (finally). It was kinda late as you see and is gonna take even longer to get the marriage certificate needed for sponsor.

So, I need to apply for an extension. I have a few questions about it.

Once I apply for the extension, should we wait till I get the answer to start the residency/sponsor process? Or can I do both once I receive our marriage certificate , tho I guess is better to wait.

What should I pick when asked how long i plan to stay? I can't pick permanently for visitor extension I know, but should I put less than 6 months or more than 6 months, would that affect anything?

Another thing is when doing the checklist for extension , it asked me if I would be interested in doing certain jobs (which was weird but I guess its cause I picked the married option) and it gave me a list of them, for which I would have to do a medical exam, if I said yes. I'm not sure what to pick here, because once we're applying for sponsorship , I understand I can ask for an open work permit at the same time, and I guess I'd have to provide a medical exam at this point anyway?

And last, tho I've read people get married on visitor visa and then apply for sponsorship, I'm not sure how viable it is? We would just very much not want to do outland process as distance is rough on us

Thank you so much for any clarification on this, sorry for any mistakes

Last edited: