+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV approved for parents but rejected for Brother

pameyb

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I want to share my experience of recent TRV application for my parents and brother and wondering if anyone could guide us.

I recently immigrated to Canada on spouse PR visa last year. This month my parents and brother applied for a TRV visa. Today, they all got their passports back. My parents got multiple entry visa which is valid for 1 year, but my brother got a rejection :( My dad is self employed and my mother works in a bank. My brother is studying a law degree and he is completing his 2nd year in couple of months. We purposely chose the month of June for them to visit Canada, as my brother's University is closed during that month. We attached a letter from the University stating that he studies there, is in good standing and that the University is closed for studies during the month of June.

The immigration officer gave a standard letter with passport rejecting the visa. "I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations for the reasons indicated below:

x purpose of visit (In the application, the purpose of visit we had put was meeting family, which was same for my parent's application)
x travel history (He has never travelled outside India)
x ties to country of origin

What would you advise us? Should we reapply? and if yes, what else could we submit? Thanks.

pameyb

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for my dad we submitted:
his self declaration as a private lawyer
his bank statements
last 2 years of income tax returns
his property ownership proof

for my mum we submitted:
her confirmation employment
granted leave of absence confirmation
her bank statements
last 2 years of income tax return

They both got the multiple entry visas for 1 year

for my brother we submitted:
confirmation of enrollment at university in 2nd year in a 5 year Law degree
confirmation that current academic year will end in May 2015 and there will be no classes in June (which is when he wants to visit)

They rejected my brother's application

Thanks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

for my brother we submitted:
confirmation of enrollment at university in 2nd year in a 5 year Law degree
confirmation that current academic year will end in May 2015 and there will be no classes in June (which is when he wants to visit)
I'm guessing that perhaps you have not explained about his Law studies properly

For example: You mentioned in the visa application that his current academic year will end in May 2015..... and no classes in June..... so it may wrongly appear that he is not keen on pursuing studies for the next academic year

What I would do is to also submit proofs of the college admission letter (not just from the University) + payment receipts for admission to the next academic year which starts in July(??) + marksheets (to again confirm that he is a bonafide student) + an explanation that unless he completes the 5-year program and gets his license to practice, he cannot do anything with a 2-year qualification.... hence, he must return to resume his studies for the next academic year

Is he interning (even if it's unpaid) presently with any law firm..... not with your dad, as this may not look very convincing.... then he can get a letter from that law firm to say so..... also if he is interning during his summer vacations ie after he returns from Canada before he resumes his degree program..... do keep in mind that the Courts are closed I think in May/June (I'm not sure) so the amount of legal work drops at these times

Does your brother have bank accounts even if the balance is not much? Credit Cards even if it is an add-on credit card linked to maybe your parents' credit cards?

Do you have any other siblings/extended family who live with your parents and brother?

Also, for how long did your parents/brother intend to visit? Did they show adequate funds to cover airfare/expenses of all three?

I would also prepare a day-by-day itinerary with expense estimates in CAD to show a clear purpose of visit.... sightseeing, etc.... and prove he has the funds for this itinerary..... your dad and mom will pay for his expenses.... and not simply say that the visit is to meet you/family.

Unfortunately, young people are viewed as potential overstayers/likely to violate the conditions attached to a visit visa.... hence, your brother must provide very convincing reasons to return

Cheers :)

pameyb

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bryanna said:
Hi,

I'm guessing that perhaps you have not explained about his Law studies properly

For example: You mentioned in the visa application that his current academic year will end in May 2015..... and no classes in June..... so it may wrongly appear that he is not keen on pursuing studies for the next academic year

What I would do is to also submit proofs of the college admission letter (not just from the University) + payment receipts for admission to the next academic year which starts in July(??) + marksheets (to again confirm that he is a bonafide student) + an explanation that unless he completes the 5-year program and gets his license to practice, he cannot do anything with a 2-year qualification.... hence, he must return to resume his studies for the next academic year

Is he interning (even if it's unpaid) presently with any law firm..... not with your dad, as this may not look very convincing.... then he can get a letter from that law firm to say so..... also if he is interning during his summer vacations ie after he returns from Canada before he resumes his degree program..... do keep in mind that the Courts are closed I think in May/June (I'm not sure) so the amount of legal work drops at these times

Does your brother have bank accounts even if the balance is not much? Credit Cards even if it is an add-on credit card linked to maybe your parents' credit cards?

Do you have any other siblings/extended family who live with your parents and brother?

Also, for how long did your parents/brother intend to visit? Did they show adequate funds to cover airfare/expenses of all three?

I would also prepare a day-by-day itinerary with expense estimates in CAD to show a clear purpose of visit.... sightseeing, etc.... and prove he has the funds for this itinerary..... your dad and mom will pay for his expenses.... and not simply say that the visit is to meet you/family.

Unfortunately, young people are viewed as potential overstayers/likely to violate the conditions attached to a visit visa.... hence, your brother must provide very convincing reasons to return

Cheers :)
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive response. We are going to try again with a stronger application this time. We are also thinking of adding a letter from our MP in Canada and also a letter from local Counsellor in India just to add some more meat to the application.

pameyb

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi There,

I just wanted to provide an update that we reapplied TRV for my brother, and it was APPROVED!!! :)

Thanks Bryana for your help.

As you suggested we included the below extra documents this time:
- MP Letter of Support
- Letter for Support from local Counsellor in India
- University marksheets and fee receipts
- Personal Affidavit
- Cover letter explaining the purpose and importance of trip.

Deep6644

Sep 21, 2018
Hi There,

I just wanted to provide an update that we reapplied TRV for my brother, and it was APPROVED!!! :)

Thanks Bryana for your help.

As you suggested we included the below extra documents this time:
- MP Letter of Support
- Letter for Support from local Counsellor in India
- University marksheets and fee receipts
- Personal Affidavit
- Cover letter explaining the purpose and importance of trip.

Hi my sisters visa is rejected first time and parents approved. She is doing internship in india and refusal reasons are same as yours
Can you please provide wt u have written in purpose of visit
and what is personal affidavit
please help