+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV approval while outland PR sponsorship in process

yash91pathak

Star Member
Feb 10, 2019
Hello All,
I had applied for a TRV for my spouse post our marraige and since Biometrics wasnt allowing for TRV's, we applied for her PR and we were able to get her Biometrics completed under the family class sponsorship.

We just go a passport request for her TRV - (so assuming it is approaved) Can she travel to Canada on her TRV while we wait for her PR? also Do we need inform IRCC regarding this as we had initially applied under Family Class - Outland and now she would be inland in case she travels on TRV.

Any help or guidance (with proof or personal experience) appreciated.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Hello All,
I had applied for a TRV for my spouse post our marraige and since Biometrics wasnt allowing for TRV's, we applied for her PR and we were able to get her Biometrics completed under the family class sponsorship.

We just go a passport request for her TRV - (so assuming it is approaved) Can she travel to Canada on her TRV while we wait for her PR? also Do we need inform IRCC regarding this as we had initially applied under Family Class - Outland and now she would be inland in case she travels on TRV.

The application is still considered outland even if she comes to Canada as a visitor. Yes, she can travel to Canada on her TRV while waiting for PR. But, since I see the PA is from India (based on your signature), she is going to have to wait until the ban on flights from India is lifted (unless of course she is located elsewhere right now). She should be prepared to prove her marriage to you when boarding the plane and when entering Canada. Have her print some copies of her TRV, correspondence from IRCC about the spousal application, and a copy of your marriage certificate. She should also have something to prove your status in Canada, such as a Canadian passport, PR card, etc.

Reactions: yash91pathak

yash91pathak

Star Member
Feb 10, 2019
The application is still considered outland even if she comes to Canada as a visitor. Yes, she can travel to Canada on her TRV while waiting for PR. But, since I see the PA is from India (based on your signature), she is going to have to wait until the ban on flights from India is lifted (unless of course she is located elsewhere right now). She should be prepared to prove her marriage to you when boarding the plane and when entering Canada. Have her print some copies of her TRV, correspondence from IRCC about the spousal application, and a copy of your marriage certificate. She should also have something to prove your status in Canada, such as a Canadian passport, PR card, etc.
Firtst of all thank you for the detailed response. You are correct, PA is in India and we will need to wait till this ban on flight is lifted. I just wanted to know if we need to let ircc know that she is now in canada instead of india and would her category for pr will change from outland to inland. Based on your response and other research i’ve done ... I think it wont.

let me know if you’ve read differently elsewhere..thnx once again

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I just wanted to know if we need to let ircc know that she is now in canada instead of india and would her category for pr will change from outland to inland. Based on your response and other research i’ve done ... I think it wont.
Category will not change from outland to inland. It is still important to advise IRCC she is in Canada (by change of address) for one very important reason - they will do a virtual landing (at least during covid) so that she can become PR without travelling abroad.

Reactions: yash91pathak

yash91pathak

Star Member
Feb 10, 2019
Category will not change from outland to inland. It is still important to advise IRCC she is in Canada (by change of address) for one very important reason - they will do a virtual landing (at least during covid) so that she can become PR without travelling abroad.
Thank you! Yes that was my plan as well.. glad i was able to reconfirm thnx

Reactions: armoured

Enb123

Star Member
Sep 18, 2020
Hello All,

Hi i just wanted to know if ur wife is working when u applied for TRV .. or can u help me with the TRV strong points where we can add in it (chances of approving) bcz my trv was rejected and my PR application is stuck @missisuaga for 15 months .so planning to re apply TRV again ..so any point that gives me hope

nikita2912

Jan 27, 2021
Hello All,

Hi !
Congratulations on your TRV approval !!
I had a few quick questions regarding TRV , hope you don't mind answering them.
My TRV to reunite with my husband (Canadian PR) has been rejected twice.
Can you help me with how did you go about with your TRV application. What supporting documents did you attach to your application?
Also , how did you manage showing strong ties to home country and make them believe that the applicant would return for sure( this is where we're struggling )
Our outland sponsorship application (from India) was sent in March 2021 and we only have a temporary file number.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated.

yash91pathak

Star Member
Feb 10, 2019
Hi i just wanted to know if ur wife is working when u applied for TRV .. or can u help me with the TRV strong points where we can add in it (chances of approving) bcz my trv was rejected and my PR application is stuck @missisuaga for 15 months .so planning to re apply TRV again ..so any point that gives me hope
Hi !
Congratulations on your TRV approval !!
I had a few quick questions regarding TRV , hope you don't mind answering them.
My TRV to reunite with my husband (Canadian PR) has been rejected twice.
Can you help me with how did you go about with your TRV application. What supporting documents did you attach to your application?
Also , how did you manage showing strong ties to home country and make them believe that the applicant would return for sure( this is where we're struggling )
Our outland sponsorship application (from India) was sent in March 2021 and we only have a temporary file number.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated.
Hello Guys - I am no expert in this field so please take my response with caution, also I am sure everyone understands that all cases are different and are reviewed differently so what worked for me might not work you. But I can certainly provide some background on what we did with our application

our background - we were living together in USA from 2019 to 2020 and dating for a few years before that. i moved to canada mid 2020 and then we got married in december 2020 after which i applied for my wife's TRV. I provided an invitation letter and mentioned that we would want to spend time together for 3 months (with exact dates) and also mentioned that I would be supporting here as well as my wife would use some of her savings from working in the USA.

1 thing to note is that my wife doesnt have a job in her home country right now so I myself was uncertain if our application would be accepted. We applied for the TRV in December 2020 I did apply for her PR in Jan 2021 so not sure if that played a part (dual intent or something) but this is our story so far.

We still havent submitted the passport for stamping due to lockdowns and office closures in india but based on my research a PPR means the TRV is approved.

In case things change - I will surely post it here.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that in one of the forms we also mentioned the following as shown on the IRCC website

Step 2: Fill out the form
When answering the question on the application form about the purpose of travel, enter the following information exactly as written to make sure your application is prioritized:

• For question 1 a) purpose of travel, choose “other” from the drop-down menu.
  • For question 1 b) description field, write “COVID-19” exactly like this (you must use capital letters).
link to the above steps - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#new

Last edited:
Reactions: calguy