+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV Application for Sister/Mom - weak or ok?

CECnovguy

Star Member
Nov 20, 2013
Hi Folks,

I am planning to apply for TRV for my sister and mom to visit Canada this Fall. I am a PR but currently working in my home country(India) and would probably return to Canada for work this fall. I would like to bring along my sister and mom for a short visit with me when i return. Since i am currently not in Canada i would be unable to invite them as per CIC visa stipulations. I am trying to figure out if my sister can apply for a visitor visa for the purpose of tourism as the primary applicant before the end of june.

Sister - Married, Unemployed for 1.5 years(She wanted a break), Has travel history to several countries in last 10 years, has a good bank balance (equivalent of 20,000+ CAD), No children
Mother - Widowed(recently), Retired Govt Pensioner, No travel history outside the country ever, Has a solid bank balance (equivalent of 30,000+ CAD), Owns the house (has property document).

I plan on having them over for maybe 3 to 4 weeks and they would be staying over at a family friend's place while i look for an apartment to move into and setup. We would also be visiting the famous landmarks in and around Toronto, Ontario.

Can you guys tell me if the application for TRV would look ok with the above points? Actually both my sister and mom have to get back to our home country as they have all their relatives and friends and have no intention of staying over long term. But i m not sure how the application would look to a Visa officer. In the Application eligibilty- Family members are described as spouse, common law partners, Children etc - and since i m a brother to the Primary applicant she wouldn't mention that i am accompanying her in the Canada Trip. It would basically be my sister and mom applying for a tourist/visit VISA.

Can you guys share your thoughts on whether this application would get approved or rejected based on your experience? I would really appreciate some help.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you are not in Canada, they can try to apply on their own, separately or together. They can say they want to go to Canada for tourism for places like Niagara Falls, staying in Canada for a week, etc.

I don't think anyone can say it will be approved or not approved.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Can the family friend invite them?

For your sister:
Ties: Her husband (family ties) + good bank balance (hopefully nothing borrowed and she pays taxes though she is unemployed) + travel history (does it include countries requiring visas?)
Negatives: No solid assets in India to return to, unemployed.... can she get a job before she applies?

For your mom:
Ties: Property, pension, good bank balance
Negatives: No family ties (your sister is also applying), no previous travel history

Their Family Information forms will state your details/your address (India or Canada).... so even if they don't mention about you accompanying them, your PR details will show up

Cheers

CECnovguy

Star Member
Nov 20, 2013
Bryanna said:
Hi,

Can the family friend invite them?

For your sister:
Ties: Her husband (family ties) + good bank balance (hopefully nothing borrowed and she pays taxes though she is unemployed) + travel history (does it include countries requiring visas?)
Negatives: No solid assets in India to return to, unemployed.... can she get a job before she applies?

For your mom:
Ties: Property, pension, good bank balance
Negatives: No family ties (your sister is also applying), no previous travel history

Their Family Information forms will state your details/your address (India or Canada).... so even if they don't mention about you accompanying them, your PR details will show up

Cheers

Thank you so much Steaky, Bryanna for your inputs! :)

Yes i m trying to figure out if i can get the invite letter from the family friend. He is a Canadian citizen and hopefully that adds some value.
Yes as for my sister she has been on vacation to several countries in South east asia over the last 10 years- hong kong, malaysia, cambodia, thailand which need visas. She hasn't borrowed any money and is basically living off her savings over the last 15 years and support from her husband.

As for my mom - yes no travel history - but i have another sister(not applying) who is employed and has children. That would be another way of showing ties to home country (grand children).

Yes - as you said the family information form is going to have my name. This is why i m worried that the VO might get a little suspicious. I m wondering if it would be better and inform CIC upfront about my status and my current situation (employment in India) in the cover letter. I would be transferred under the same company but to the office in Toronto but i cant get a letter from the company HR until the move is finalized. I would have to travel immediately once i get confirmation. But i would want my folks to travel with me at that time and that's why i would like them to apply in advance. i need to think this through more.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Yes as for my sister she has been on vacation to several countries in South east asia over the last 10 years- hong kong, malaysia, cambodia, thailand which need visas.
These countries are liberal in issuing tourist visas.... hence, this would not count as *Travel History*. If your sister has traveled to the US/UK/Schengen, etc then those visas will help.

She hasn't borrowed any money and is basically living off her savings over the last 15 years and support from her husband.
IMO she must demonstrate some solid reason to return. Employment or having to leave children behind would have helped.

As for my mom - yes no travel history - but i have another sister(not applying) who is employed and has children. That would be another way of showing ties to home country (grand children).
Does your mom live with this sister? Are the grand children dependent on your mom for their well-being?

But i would want my folks to travel with me at that time and that's why i would like them to apply in advance.
You can certainly explain about your imminent transfer in the covering letter.... without mentioning a return date/time frame for it.

I would refrain from mentioning that you'd like your mom and sister to travel with you when you return to Canada.... this could incorrectly indicate that they also intend to *move* back with you = long-term stay = possible refusal.

Perhaps, it would best if you keep your transfer to Canada, and your mom and sister's visit as two separate matters

Cheers

CECnovguy

Star Member
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks a lot Bryanna! :)

Bryanna said:
Hi,
These countries are liberal in issuing tourist visas.... hence, this would not count as *Travel History*. If your sister has traveled to the US/UK/Schengen, etc then those visas will help.
IMO she must demonstrate some solid reason to return. Employment or having to leave children behind would have helped.
Yes - that's True - But She hasn't been to Europe or North America

your mom live with this sister? Are the grand children dependent on your mom for their well-being?
Actually not - But they live in the same city and visit each other often.

You can explain about your imminent transfer in the covering letter.... without mentioning a return date/time frame for it.

I would refrain from mentioning that you'd like your mom and sister to travel with you when you return to Canada.... this could incorrectly indicate that they also intend to *move* back with you = long-term stay = possible refusal.

Perhaps, it would best if you keep your transfer to Canada, and your mom and sister's visit as two separate matters
hmmmm - i see what you mean - but the family information form will show me as a resident to the VO and this might raise a flag.
Ok - given the situation i would probably have to come up with lot more reason/supporting documents for my sister/mom to show strong ties to home.

I am wondering if i can book a canadian tour package sold by tourist agencies - like 10 day tour of canada and such. They do tend to have a detailed day by day itenerary and stay details at hotels, tickets etc. of course i would tend to lose a lot of money on cancellation. but maybe the visa would have higher chance of approval?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
CECnovguy said:
I am wondering if i can book a canadian tour package sold by tourist agencies - like 10 day tour of canada and such. They do tend to have a detailed day by day itenerary and stay details at hotels, tickets etc. of course i would tend to lose a lot of money on cancellation. but maybe the visa would have higher chance of approval?
Booking a tour package with a travel company means that the itinerary/hotel bookings will be worked out. The critical part of getting a TRV approval would still remain.

Travel companies only check if a visa application form is filled correctly and signed. Nothing else. They do not advise on an applicant's strong ties.... or what documents/evidence should be submitted.

Your mom and sister will have to demonstrate their strong ties.... regardless of them applying on their own or through a travel company

CECnovguy

Star Member
Nov 20, 2013
Bryanna said:
Booking a tour package with a travel company means that the itinerary/hotel bookings will be worked out. The critical part of getting a TRV approval would still remain.

Travel companies only check if a visa application form is filled correctly and signed. Nothing else. They do not advise on an applicant's strong ties.... or what documents/evidence should be submitted.

Your mom and sister will have to demonstrate their strong ties.... regardless of them applying on their own or through a travel company

Yes Bryanna that makes sense... basically strong ties to home country is all there is to get a chance at approval! hmm.... ok i would have to figure this one out.. maybe if they can show some kind of very important commitment for which they can receive an official document (with dates) stating that they need to be here (home country) at a particular time and place, it would perhaps convince the VO.

Thanks again!!!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
maybe if they can show some kind of very important commitment for which they can receive an official document (with dates) stating that they need to be here (home country) at a particular time and place,
Some suggestions (for your mom):
Attend a housing society AGM (Annual General Meeting)..... minor surgery (hopefully not).... a family event, perhaps a wedding in the immediate family.... something related to her pension/retirement benefits

For your sister:
If she has a booked a tour package to some third country with her husband (a couple of months after her Canada visit).... or she needs to return for some legal/financial/business matter.... or even enrollment in a study program to enhance her career skills

With evidence