+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV and Study Permit

Janedoe14

Mar 12, 2018
Hello everybody. I spent all day doing research about my possibilities at this point and I'm not sure that the information I got is fully accurate. If anybody has more information about my current situation, PLEASE, reply to my thread.

Current status:
I applied for an extension for my stay in Canada- My temporary resident status was restored. I applied for Six months or less.
I got accepted to school starting fall 2018. It doesn't seem possible for me to apply for a study permit.

Based on my research I realized that my TRV has to be for 6months or more in order for me to apply for a study permit.. is this true?
If that's the case, could I apply for both TRV (aprox processing time 2 months) and Study Permit (aprox processing time 2months) at the same time?

If I go back to Europe, the application for a Study Permit takes a month and a half to get verified while the TRV gets issued at the border. Is that correct? Would you raccomend to apply from outside of Canada instead?

Is the work permit issued with the study permit or would I have to apply for yet another (Total of three) application?

I would really appriciate all the information you have, thank you all in advance.

All the best,
JJ

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
>I got accepted to school starting fall 2018. It doesn't seem possible for me to apply for a study permit.
I am pretty sure you can apply for a study permit.

>Based on my research I realized that my TRV has to be for 6months or more in order for me to apply for a study permit.. is this true?
Pretty sure you don't need TRV to be valid for 6 months to apply... You can also apply for a newTRV when you apply for the study permit. Also never heard of TRV issued at the border for European citizens... Work permits can be applied at the border.

>Is the work permit issued with the study permit or would I have to apply for yet another (Total of three) application?
Work permit is quite different from study permit, *generally* you need a different application.

Janedoe14

Mar 12, 2018
Firstly, thank you very much for replying!
However when I go to mycic and enter the eligibility questions as for to apply for a study permit they specify that i am not currently able to apply for one. (I'm appling from Canada, with an alien password, with my current status as a visitor).

Let's say I want to extend my stay and apply for extension, can I apply for both the extension and the study permit at the same time? (the site suggests not to, I don't know why)

Perhaps i'm doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your time :)

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Last edited:

Janedoe14

Mar 12, 2018
  • someone who holds a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for at least 6 months, or their family member
<--- based on your experience, would you consider this to be the case?
(my staying is less than 6 months, and at first, i thought that was the problem... but it might be that I just can't apply at all within Canada)...

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
  • someone who holds a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for at least 6 months, or their family member
<--- based on your experience, would you consider this to be the case?
(my staying is less than 6 months, and at first, i thought that was the problem... but it might be that I just can't apply at all within Canada)...
No, TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) is not TRV (Temporary resident Visa).
TRP are generally issued to people unable to get TRV, but have compelling reasons to come to Canada

Janedoe14

Mar 12, 2018
Looks like I'm going for a trip to Europe!:)
I appriciate your help, Thank you so much! Have a great day!
Best,
JJ