+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV and Study Permit Renewal/Extension for a kid

SaigonSaigon

Sep 14, 2018
Dear all, my friend needs help.

He has a strange situation with the documents of the child. He is in Canada through LMIA. The child has a Ukrainian passport, that expires in August. The new passport has already been ordered (three months ago), but it looks as it probably still arrive after the expiration of the old passport as well as child's TRV and Study Permit. What is the best way to do in this case?

Another nuance, the employer who got a friend's LMIA closed the company. Now my friend is in the process of a new LMIA (in August, his new employer will submit an application). The plan is with the help of the new LMIA to get additional points, which is enough to pass the Express Entry, but in connection with the situation with the child's documents, it is unclear what to do.

Thank you in advance!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
When does the father's current work permit expire? Since the company is closed, he can no longer work on that permit, but he is allowed to stay in Canada till the permit expires.

For the child, you have 90 days to file a restoration application after he loses status. How exactly does the kid have status - when he came to Canada, did he get a study permit that was the same length as his father's work permit? Or what exactly?

SaigonSaigon

Sep 14, 2018
Thanks for the response!
When does the father's current work permit expire? Since the company is closed, he can no longer work on that permit, but he is allowed to stay in Canada till the permit expires.
He stopped working in order not to violate the conditions of his stay. His wife who has OWP works.

For the child, you have 90 days to file a restoration application after he loses status. How exactly does the kid have status - when he came to Canada, did he get a study permit that was the same length as his father's work permit? Or what exactly?
My friend came here first alone. His wife and daughter joined him a month or two after that. My friend's and his wife's WPs and TRVs are valid until May 2020. TRV and SP of their daughter are valid only until Aug 2019 since just like her passport (Ukraine has limitations for the terms of children documents).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The child may end up having difficulty renewing their study permit if the father is no longer working and his closed work permit is the basis of their work permits and TRVs. They'll have to see.

SaigonSaigon

Sep 14, 2018
The child may end up having difficulty renewing their study permit if the father is no longer working and his closed work permit is the basis of their work permits and TRVs. They'll have to see.
That's why he has found a new employer who will apply for a new LMIA for him