+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV - 180- day Stay Rule

Indiapnp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Hi All,

I understand that people visiting Canada can not stay in Canada for more than 180 days (6 months) at a stretch.

I am wondering that if the "clock counter" on the 180 days (6 months) period is reset to zero, if they (the Canadian visitor) visits USA? If so theoretically speaking one can keep crossing border (visit US) and continue to stay in Canada.

Please shed some light on this.
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Indiapnp said:
I understand that people visiting Canada can not stay in Canada for more than 180 days (6 months) at a stretch.

I am wondering that if the "clock counter" on the 180 days (6 months) period is reset to zero, if they (the Canadian visitor) visits USA? If so theoretically speaking one can keep crossing border (visit US) and continue to stay in Canada.
Theoretically - yes. Practically - no. Sooner or later you will be stopped from entering Canada or will only be allowed in for a very short time - and then forced to return home since CBSA will say you are abusing their visitor priviledges and behaving as if you are living in Canada (which you are not allowed to do). It's quite possible the very first time you try this CBSA may refuse to extend your stay - it's really up to the immigration officer they speak to and therefore impossible for any of us to guess. What you are describing (flagpoling) can be risky and frowned upon behaviour by CBSA. You are better off applying to extend your stay from inside of Canada.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Indiapnp said:
Hi All,

Please shed some light on this.
Thank you
Theoretically speaking yes. But that is why there are CBSA officers at all entry points that will asses any "abusive" use of the law and will refused or limit your stay in Canada if a dishonest behaviour is believed to be happening.

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Dear IndianPnp,
Is the 120 day rule applicable to TRV with work permit as well?
Where can I find all rules regarding the TRV?

Regards,
Srinivas

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
s23srinivas said:
Dear IndianPnp,
Is the 120 day rule applicable to TRV with work permit as well?
Where can I find all rules regarding the TRV?

Regards,
Srinivas
No - this rule doesn't apply if you hold a work permit. You can stay in Canada for the duration of your work permit validity.

Indiapnp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
@ scylla and Jalex23

Thanks, I understand. This is as I expected. I was curious as I was asked the question. My guess would be that is a discouraged practice and may only be give some slack if the case is genuine and not an abuse. However, subject to the immigration officer at the point of entry.

It interesting - you mention that one can apply for extension from within Canada. That certainly sounds better way. Are there any links you can provide to suggest eligibility for extensions? Or put another way under what situation does one allow extension?

Also, another query on similar lines. I am surprised to hear this one so looking for your input.

I was recently told by a travel agent that one can not enter Canada with a one way ticket i.e., one should book a round trip. This becomes tricky because airlines do not provide "open date" on tickets. So, one would be in a "fix" (monetary loss) if the dates are to be changed and you have a 2-way trip with fixed dates. Also, if the information is true, I fail to imagine where would that be checked (I do not recall any visitor telling me that someone made sure that they was a return ticket).

Thank you once again.

Indiapnp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
scylla said:
No - this rule doesn't apply if you hold a work permit. You can stay in Canada for the duration of your work permit validity.
Agreed, you can stay in Canada as long as you have a valid status. Work permit, TRV or PR etc..

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Indiapnp said:
It interesting - you mention that one can apply for extension from within Canada. That certainly sounds better way. Are there any links you can provide to suggest eligibility for extensions? Or put another way under what situation does one allow extension?

Google it, there are plenty of resources.

Indiapnp said:
I was recently told by a travel agent that one can not enter Canada with a one way ticket
That is not true.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Indiapnp said:
I was recently told by a travel agent that one can not enter Canada with a one way ticket i.e., one should book a round trip. This becomes tricky because airlines do not provide "open date" on tickets. So, one would be in a "fix" (monetary loss) if the dates are to be changed and you have a 2-way trip with fixed dates. Also, if the information is true, I fail to imagine where would that be checked (I do not recall any visitor telling me that someone made sure that they was a return ticket).
What the travel agent told you is 100% correct. Although it does depend on the kind of visa you hold. Assuming you hold a regular visitor visa (rather than super visa and don't also have a work permit) - you must purcase a return ticket. If you purchase just a one way - the problem won't be entering Cananda - the problem will be boarding the airplane to fly to Canada. Airlines won't let you board a plane to visit a country as a non-visa exempt visitor without a two way ticket. This is due to the fact that if for any reason you are refused entry into Canada and the airline has to fly you home - they don't lose any money in the deal because you had a two way ticket. So you must either purchase a more expensive ticket that allows you to change your departure date - or you must be prepared to lose money if you don't end up using the second leg of the two-way ticket. Again, the problem is not entering Canada - it's the airline. The airline can very easily see what kind of ticket you have booked when you check in. The vast majority of airlines will tell you that you can't board the airplane without a return ticket.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jalex23 said:
That is not true.
Actually - it is true. We've seen several people on this forum refused boarding by their airline as a visitor to Canada because they didn't have a two way ticket. If someone is coming as a visitor and has a regular TRV - they need a two way ticket. The agent is 100% correct.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Indiapnp said:
There you go: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

It depends on your status in Canada. If it's a regular visitor visa; then most airlines would not even sell you one-way ticket to Canada. You asked about where they can be checked.
Well, any visitor can be checked at any of following points:
1. At departing airport, by the immigration
2. Before boarding, by the airlines staff
3. At landing, by Canadian immigration

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Actually - it is true. We've seen several people on this forum refused boarding by their airline as a visitor to Canada because they didn't have a two way ticket. If someone is coming as a visitor and has a regular TRV - they need a two way ticket. The agent is 100% correct.
Both Scylla and Jalex are correct. It really depends on the airline. Some airlines are allows boarding with regular TRV in their non-visa exempted passports but without return tickets and others don't. Therefore, it is possible that someone coming as a visitor, has a regular TRV and oneway ticket, can be allowed for boarding.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
scylla said:
Never heard of that.

In fact whenever family and friends visit they NEVER buy a return ticket as we might extend/shorten the visit. They all come with TRVs.

Maybe it is as Steaky said, it depends on the airline (or maybe the country).

As far as I know (and as far as all the people I have helped to get a TRV) none of them required a return ticket and the airline couldn't be less interested in their travel plans. They do get asked at point of entry for a return ticket, but as far as they are answering truthfully that their return dates are flexible and they haven't bought one, they have no problems whatsoever.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Jalex23 said:
Never heard of that.

In fact whenever family and friends visit they NEVER buy a return ticket as we might extend/shorten the visit. They all come with TRVs.

Maybe it is as Steaky said, it depends on the airline (or maybe the country).

As far as I know (and as far as all the people I have helped to get a TRV) none of them required a return ticket and the airline couldn't be less interested in their travel plans. They do get asked at point of entry for a return ticket, but as far as they are answering truthfully that their return dates are flexible and they haven't bought one, they have no problems whatsoever.
On the contrary, it's close to impossible to buy one-way ticket to Canada on visit visa from Bangladesh. On one instance, I even heard BD Immigration Officer asking some traveler at the airport before departure why she doesn't have a return ticket. As I was going through the immigration myself; I couldn't hear the end story. Moreover, I asked few travel agents back in BD re: the reason behind it. Most said that airlines may run into troubles with CBSA if they allowed visitors (from specific countries) to board without return tickets. Anyway, it can be either country or airlines dependent. The reason can be financial security or CBSA enforcement or both.

In my case, I had to buy a return ticket even for my mom who came here on Super Visa in order to stay for 2 years. She can't speak in English and I did not want her to face such challenges on her own - so I was left with no other choice but to waste $$$. As her return is expiring within few weeks; I will be able to know how much I'm actually losing. :(

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Rossei said:
On the contrary, it's close to impossible to buy one-way ticket to Canada on visit visa from Bangladesh.
Yeah, most probably is because all those countries have a high risk of trying to immigrate illegally.

Good to get these feedback... and grateful that in this side of the world that is not the case and you can travel freely without any "return ticket" concerns!