+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trucking as a profession in Canada

lagoon

Nov 12, 2011
how can one pursue a career as a long haul truck driver in Canada, what are the advantages and disadvantages, how difficult is it to qualify as a long haul truck driver, I am a graduate and instead of looking out for office jobs would like to branch out in this field, recently there was a case of a Doctor from India who after landing in Canada directly entered the trucking profession as he found out that pursuing his career as a doctor would be time consuming and difficult too. Can anyone please give an insight on this matter

thanks
Lag

lagoon

Nov 12, 2011
Dear QORAX,

can you give some insight on this matter ? will really appreciate your views.

thanks
Lag

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
Its completely up to you, your choice, goals, and aim. I know people who are driving trucks they make ok money - by reporting low taxable income-, normally take home 4-5 some time upto 6-7 per month. In early days, you have to drive on long haul such as toronto to calgary, with couple of years exp you might get job in town. The normal season is Mar or Apr to Dec. Many drivers normally don't work during winter period. Increase in income will be very slow, you may be earning same amount in 10 years if you don't buy your own vehicle.

There are lots of people who spent time and now are successful in their careers, I know people who are making b/w 100K -150K , some up to 250 in Investment and Medical (don't know exact figure) after 10 years of immigration. This includes IT professional, doctors, they did low survival jobs may be for couple of years then took lower paid professional jobs and after accumulating some experience they don't regret hard work. Where as, I know people who drive trucks majority is still making same what they were making in their early days little increase, expect some who took risk and started their own business, some people also left and started small business like pizza shops.

summing up, so its u r choice mate.

CANKWT

Oct 26, 2010
Hi Zulkfal,

thanks a lot for all the information, will be in Canada in a few months time so was exploring all options.

regards
Lag