+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trip to Mexico....any other experiences?

FJOBrien

Dec 30, 2021
First, my apologies if this question is redundant.
I have bboked a trip to Mexico for my wife and I. She is a PR (for a long time), and I am a Canadian citizen. We are going to Playa for 10 days.
We just realized her PR card has expired. We have not visited another country for a long time *(we go to ENgland from time to time to visit her parents).
I knwo some people wing it and just play dumb. Is this a common thing? Mailing documentation to Mexico city from the hotel seems a likely fail, and we cant really afford to make a trip to Mexico city.

Do we just go? SHe has quickly applied for a renewal, but the chances of getting it in time are next to none.

Has anyone had this experience? Again, I am sure many on this forum are thinking " great, not another one of these questions", but I can only find one other example.

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
She almost certainly won't be allowed to board a flight back to Canada without valid PR card.

She can, however, enter via a land border in private vehicie with the expired card.

So your best option is to change her flight to eg Buffalo or some other border city.

I have no idea what requirements that means in terms of covid stuff though (eg to transit USA).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
First, my apologies if this question is redundant.
I have bboked a trip to Mexico for my wife and I. She is a PR (for a long time), and I am a Canadian citizen. We are going to Playa for 10 days.
We just realized her PR card has expired. We have not visited another country for a long time *(we go to ENgland from time to time to visit her parents).
I knwo some people wing it and just play dumb. Is this a common thing? Mailing documentation to Mexico city from the hotel seems a likely fail, and we cant really afford to make a trip to Mexico city.

Do we just go? SHe has quickly applied for a renewal, but the chances of getting it in time are next to none.

Has anyone had this experience? Again, I am sure many on this forum are thinking " great, not another one of these questions", but I can only find one other example.

Thank you
She needs to be in possession of either a valid PR card or a valid PR Travel Document in order to board the plane when you fly home. Otherwises she will be refused boarding on the flight home. You can certainly play dumb, however you should expect the outcome to be the same and that she will then be stuck in Mexico until she can get a PRTD to return.

If you can't get either document, then the options are either to cancel the trip or for her to fly home through the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle (e.g. rental car).

You should only go if she is prepared to get a PRTD while there OR if you can switch your flights to return to a US airport and then drive home to Canada. Otherwise there's really no other path to success here (apart from receiving the renewed PR card in time).

Note that if you decide to change your flight to fly home from the US, you will need to take a molecular PCR test to be able to re-enter Canada and that test must be taken in the US. Make sure you leave time for that / plan for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply’s. I don’t suppose the consulate in Cancun can help….
Help with which part?

They can't help you board a plane without the required documents. Your wife needs to be in possession of either a valid PR card or valid PRTD to board a flight destined for Canada.

The PRTD application needs to be sent to the visa office in Mexico City. The consulate cannot process this application.

FJOBrien

Dec 30, 2021
So, for anyone reading this (looks like just a couple).....the citizenship of the traveler appears to be important. I just went to the Canada Border Services office and spoke with an officer.
He told me she can absolutely go. She just needs to travel only on her British Passport.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So, for anyone reading this (looks like just a couple).....the citizenship of the traveler appears to be important. I just went to the Canada Border Services office and spoke with an officer.
He told me she can absolutely go. She just needs to travel only on her British Passport.
This is wrong. Sorry.

She can't board a plane to Canada with a UK passport alone. If she was a non-PR, she would apply for an eTA to go along with the UK passport (and be allowed to board). However she doesn't qualify for an eTA as a PR. This is why she needs the PR card or the PRTD.

Anyway, your call what you do. Just be prepared to get stuck there if you roll the dice.

Reactions: Buletruck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So why would the border officer say it was no problem?
I don't know.

I mean you can easily research online that a UK citizen cannot fly to Canada on their UK passport alone. This information is fundamentally wrong to start. This hasn't been possible for a few years now.

Anyway, your call what you do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: dpenabill

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So why would the border officer say it was no problem?
Simple guess is this: CBSA officer may only know or care what will happen when a traveller shows up at the passport control at the airport in Canada - and may not pay much attention to the fact that your spouse will not be allowed to board the plane.

Because that's the issue here, as noted above in detail.

Yes, if by some miracle your spouse is allowed to board and lands in Canada, she'll be let in.

Note I'm saying "by some miracle" - I am absolutely NOT saying 'maybe the airline will be lenient' or whatever else to encourage in any way to just "give it a try." The only reasonable expectation is that your spouse will not be allowed to board.

Up to you what to do, of course, but I think the only realistic options are to either cancel, plan on enough time to get a PRTD (which will almost certainly be longer than what you've said is your plan, probably much longer), or do the land border crossing through USA (which in covid times is not as simple as it perhaps used to be).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The posts by @scylla and @armoured more than adequately respond to the query here.

However, since the OP is expressing some reservations, and given the confusing (at-best) statement from a CBSA officer, I will offer some further, lengthy observations:

I have boked a trip to Mexico for my wife and I. She is a PR (for a long time), and I am a Canadian citizen. We are going to Playa for 10 days.
We just realized her PR card has expired.
As noted, the responses from @scylla and @armoured cover this.

The only SAFE approach for a PR is to travel abroad
-- with a valid PR card. or​
-- plan on obtaining a PR Travel Document while abroad in order to make the flight back to Canada, or​
-- arrange to travel via the U.S. so as to approach a Port-of-Entry into Canada on the land border with the U.S.​

. . . for anyone reading this (looks like just a couple) . . .
Actually it looks like many have been reading this (see number of views), but only a couple posting. There is an obvious reason why: again, the responses from @scylla and @armoured cover the situation. No further comment or explanation seemed necessary.

As they explain, the rule itself is simple: to board a commercial airline flight coming to Canada from abroad, a Canadian PR needs to have and present, to the AIRLINE (not to a Canadian government official or a CBSA officer), either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document. That's the rule. It's a rule imposed on the AIRLINE, restricting who the AIRLINE may transport to Canada. (The airline, in turn, scans the PR card or PR TD and gets an automated electronic response from a CBSA operated system that approves boarding the passenger; this system is fully automated and does not facilitate alternative proof of status.)

Still, it appears that you are unsure. And you have received some confusing if not conflicting information from what should be a reliable source. Even as to this, I think the further responses by @scylla and @armoured are more than adequate answers.

But sure, what will actually happen, in fact happen, can always vary in this or that particular situation. And there are exceptions (for example, U.S. citizens who are Canadians can board a flight to Canada presenting only their U.S. passport).

. . . the citizenship of the traveler appears to be important. I just went to the Canada Border Services office and spoke with an officer.
There are exceptions to the rule. The biggest one, as noted, is for U.S. citizens. Other exceptions are very narrow. There is no exception for PRs based on carrying a British or UK passport.

So far as anecdotal reporting goes, the airlines operate according to the rule. Since these rules came into effect (just a few years ago) the anecdotal reporting does NOT indicate any deviating from or relaxation of the rule. Which means the probability that she would be denied boarding the flight to Canada if she does not have a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document is in the range of high to very high (and quite likely the latter).

As for explaining the CBSA officer's statement: while the "guess" proposed by @armoured is a good guess, a credible guess, I concur with @scylla's "I don't know" response juxtaposed with the certainty of the rule itself. I could explore a number of possible explanations, most oriented to confusion about the specific question itself, but that discussion would be mostly a distraction. Again, the rule is simple, and so far as we know enforced as is. So something is off about the CBSA officer's statement. There is no doubt about that. Why, again as @scylla stated, "I don't know."

I will note this: many, many fail to recognize or understand the difference between what documents are necessary to board commercial transportation to Canada, versus what documents are necessary to establish identity and status at a Canadian Port-of-Entry. That said, it would be surprising, and actually disappointing if not disconcerting, if this is why the CBSA officer failed to accurately answer your question.

And one other aspect in relation to this warrants highlighting: Canada imposes NO restrictions on PRs traveling abroad. Outside Canada, the Canadian PR is traveling on whatever passport the PR carries. Where a PR can travel outside Canada depends on the PR's passport. A PR card is NOT a travel document and PR status has nothing to do with a PR's travel outside Canada (well, there are exceptions, always, like in this regard, there are some differences for PRs who are also refugees or protected persons, for example).

So if the question was whether it is OK for a Canadian PR to travel to Mexico without a Canadian PR card, the official answer is YES if they carry a British passport. For sure.

Does not mean an airline will allow the PR to board a flight TO Canada if the PR cannot present a valid PR card or PR TD.

Which brings this back to emphasizing how this rule works, that it is actually a rule imposed on licensed commercial carriers, and is part of the regulations governing such carriers.

Before issuing a boarding pass to a traveler, the airline scans the required document and then a CBSA operated system verifies the individual presenting that document is approved to board the flight. The airline is not actually checking or verifying the PR's status as a PR, but simply verifying the document the PR is presenting generates approval for boarding by the CBSA system. At the time of actual boarding passengers are generally (probably near always) required to present adequate proof of identity (such as a passport), but that is separate from the prior procedure for issuing the boarding pass itself.

Who an airline allows to board a flight is ultimately the airline's decision, and the airline's responsibility. But international passenger carriers are highly and in many respects strictly regulated. Violations tend to be costly. So the prospect of the airline allowing an individual traveler to board without the prior approval from the CBSA system is almost certainly very, very low. The system is fully automated, so there is no approval for a PR unless the PR presents a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document. The automated system does not facilitate alternative proof, not at all.

Reactions: scylla

FJOBrien

Dec 30, 2021
Thank you to everyone in this thread. My wife and I have travelled all very Europe and into the us, never to Mexico and not over the past 4 years. We have changed our plans to fly into Seattle and are driving back. I appreciate the candor.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you to everyone in this thread. My wife and I have travelled all very Europe and into the us, never to Mexico and not over the past 4 years. We have changed our plans to fly into Seattle and are driving back. I appreciate the candor.
1. Don't forget you will have to have completed the Arrive Canada App and You must take a molecular test in the United States within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada

Reactions: scylla