+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRICKY QUESTION: IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, HOW MANY YEARS OF SKILLED WORK EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE? (...), AND IN ONLY ONE OCCUPATION.

Mar 10, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I am creating a profile for Express Entry. Answering the questionnaire to "find out if you're eligible to apply", I came across the following question: "In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation". I do not understand what the question means by "and in only one occupation".

This is my situation:

-I worked at company A from September-01-2016 to January-31-2016 (1 year and 5 months) on activities related to NOC 4163 (type A).

-After company A, I worked at company B from June-27-2016 to March-31-2020 (3 years and 10 months) on activities related to NOC 1112 (type A).

If I add the time I worked at companies A and B, I would get 5 years and 3 months.

The system allows me to choose among the following options:

-none
-Less than One
-Two to Three
-Four to Five
-Six or more

Could you please advice me what option to choose?:

1. Four to Five: taking into account work experiences at companies A and B (5 years and 3 months).

2. Two to Three: taking into account only work experience at company B (3 years and 10 months).

Thank you kindly for your help on this matter. Your reply will be appreciated. Kindly provide your valuable comments.

Best,

ProjectCanada2022

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am creating a profile for Express Entry. Answering the questionnaire to "find out if you're eligible to apply", I came across the following question: "In the last 10 years, how many of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation". I am very confused with the part of the question that says "and in only one occupation".

This is my situation:

-I worked from September-01-2016 to January-31-2016 at company A (1 year and 5 months) on NOC 4163-type A.

-After, I worked from June-27-2016 to March-31-2020 at company B (3 years and 10 months) on NOC 1112-type A.

If I add the time I worked at companies A and B, I would get 5 years and 3 months.

The options to answer the aforementioned question are:

-none
-Less than One
-Two to Three
-Four to Five
-Six or more

I don't know if "and only one occupation" means that I can claim that I have worked 5 years and 3 months and select option FOUR TO FIVE or I have worked 3 years and 10 months and select option TWO TO THREE.

Thank you kindly for your help on this matter. I am lookin forward to read your comments.
Where is this question? Not how it reads under eligibility requirements. You can count Four to Five.

Mar 10, 2022
Where is this question? Not how it reads under eligibility requirements. You can count Four to Five.
Hello Naturgrl. Thank you for your answer. I am sorry, could you explain what do you mean by "not how it reads under eligibility requirements", I didn't catch this. As for the question, I came across it while answering the questionnaire "find out if you're eligible to apply".