+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling without PR card

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hi,

as this becomes are question I hear a couple of times every week, I thought
I'd explain it one more time and dedicate the question its own thread ;)

So, the short version of this post will be available here, so maybe read the post on my website first,
before you continue to read here.
>> http://cectoolkit.weebly.com/faqs/can-i-travel-without-my-pr-card

So, after reading the post above, you should know that travelling without a PR card, when you travel
in a private vehicle ( ie. car ) you can enter Canada at any land crossing using your passport and
the CPR.

However, if you intend to return to Canada by a commercial carrier ( ie. plane, ferry, bus ) it is recommended
to have your PR card with you.
Let me elaborate on "recommended". The PR card is not required by the CBSA, but might be required by the
airline or ferry company in order for you to board the ferry, plane or bus. So if your carrier let's you board, you should
not have issues with the CBSA if you carry your CPR and a valid passport.

Here's part of an email I received from the CBSA after checking with them about travelling without a PR card:

The requirement of subsection 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) states that a person who makes an application to enter Canada must produce all relevant evidence and documents that satisfies the BSO of their identity and nationality.
A valid permanent resident (PR) card is the only proof of permanent residence status in Canada. The following documents are indicators of permanent resident status in Canada:
• Original Record of Landing (IMM1000)
• A Confirmation of Permanent Residence document (IMM5292B)
Section A19 (2) of the IRPA states that "an officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status". It is recommended, but not mandatory, to have your PR card in your possession to prove your permanent resident status in Canada at the border.
You must be able to satisfy the BSO at the port of entry that you are a permanent resident of Canada. This may be accomplished with supporting documentation, including those documents mentioned above, database checks conducted by the officer, and responding truthfully to all questions asked to you by the BSO.
Although the indicators listed above, including the Original Record of Landing (IMM1000), are not considered proof of permanent residence, they may assist the officer in determining that you have status as a PR.
So you see, that the CBSA does not require the PR card, but enough proof of your status, which is the CPR. And the BSO can also
conduct a database search and see that you are a PR of Canada.

Having said all that, if you carrier does not require you to show a visa or PR card at the time you board the vessel,
you should be fine returning to Canada by a commercial carrier without your PR card. I do not recommend to do so,
but in some cases where individuals have to travel, this might be a good options and worth knowing.

I will try this method in July when I'm coming back from a trip to Europe and let you guys know how it went.

Side note from scylla:

scylla said:
Something else that's important to mention is that it makes a huge difference if you hold a visa exempt passport or not. If you hold a visa exempt passport, you should be able to board a plane without your PR card with no issues. If you hold a non-visa exempt passport, expect that pretty much all carrriers will refuse you boarding without a valid PR card or travel document.
Hope this answered a few questions.
- Toby

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Something else that's important to mention is that it makes a huge difference if you hold a visa exempt passport or not. If you hold a visa exempt passport, you should be able to board a plane without your PR card with no issues. If you hold a non-visa exempt passport, expect that pretty much all carrriers will refuse you boarding without a valid PR card or travel document.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
scylla said:
I'll put that in my post as well, thanks for pointing that out!

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
Completely agree with scylla.

But even for visa-exempt travelers there could be the following challenges:

Just from my own experience, I travel to the US (mostly NYC) for work a couple of times a year. Usually a short trip of one day or two. While entering the US never raises many questions, when coming back, they do a very thorough check of my passport and work permit every single time. The fact that I can enter both the US and Canada as a tourist and remain for 3 months without a visa does not seem to matter, I always get a "well your work permit better be completely in order" attitude from the check-in agent.

So I guess I could probably say that I am a European tourist traveling in North America and returning to Europe from Canada after a few days. Doesn't sound very likely with only hand luggage and in business attire. Also, what if they then asked for confirmation of onward travel etc. Basically, I don't want to get caught lying as I don't even want to imagine the consequences.

I've managed to avoid traveling outside of Canada since I landed two months ago and will hopefully not have to in the next month or two until when I am sure I will have my card.
If I really had to, I would drive in a rental car to Buffalo, fly from there and return in the same car back to Canada. Very inconvenient but in my opinion much better than taking a risk and being denied boarding when trying to return to Toronto by plane.

EU_2010

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
01**
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
n/a
LANDED..........
landed Mar 2014
iam_toby said:
I will try this method in July when I'm coming back from a trip to Europe and let you guys know how it went.
Be prepared that they may ask how long you intend to stay outside of your home country and ask for the return ticket. I am just saying that since I go back to Europe 2-4 times a year. I often book my flights starting in Germany. So it happens that I leave for Toronto in the spring and (according to that ticket) will be coming back just before Christmas. So obviously, for a tourist, way too many months to just be traveling on a passport without anything in addition (visa, PR card, work permit). Every single time they look for me at the gate and want to specifically check my passport. When they see the work permit, all is good, but before, they are concerned every single time (thinking I am a regular tourist trying to stay beyond the allowed 3 months).

Assuming your ticket will start and end in Vancouver, be prepared for some questions, and maybe have another trip back to Germany lined up already whether you'll take it or not.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hi,

as this becomes are question I hear a couple of times every week, I thought
I'd explain it one more time and dedicate the question its own thread ;)

So, the short version of this post will be available here, so maybe read the post on my website first,
before you continue to read here.
>> http://cectoolkit.weebly.com/faqs/can-i-travel-without-my-pr-card

So, after reading the post above, you should know that travelling without a PR card, when you travel
in a private vehicle ( ie. car ) you can enter Canada at any land crossing using your passport and
the CPR.

However, if you intend to return to Canada by a commercial carrier ( ie. plane, ferry, bus ) it is recommended
to have your PR card with you.
Let me elaborate on "recommended". The PR card is not required by the CBSA, but might be required by the
airline or ferry company in order for you to board the ferry, plane or bus. So if your carrier let's you board, you should
not have issues with the CBSA if you carry your CPR and a valid passport.

Here's part of an email I received from the CBSA after checking with them about travelling without a PR card:

So you see, that the CBSA does not require the PR card, but enough proof of your status, which is the CPR. And the BSO can also
conduct a database search and see that you are a PR of Canada.

Having said all that, if you carrier does not require you to show a visa or PR card at the time you board the vessel,
you should be fine returning to Canada by a commercial carrier without your PR card. I do not recommend to do so,
but in some cases where individuals have to travel, this might be a good options and worth knowing.

Side note from scylla:

Hope this answered a few questions.
- Toby
Hey. How did that go? Any issues re entering Canada without the PR Card?