+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travelling without first PR card

sameera888

Oct 30, 2017
HI .( i know this is the rule with out valid PR card airline would not board the person ) 100% sure

if applicant hold a valid US passport did not receive PR card yet but have PR status will airline staff allow to board
how do airline knows if person have valid PR status ( travelling back to Canada on US passport ) not directly from USA
travelling by air not directly from US. searched on google by road without PR card entry will be allowed

Does US citizen exempt to show valid PR card for airline boarding purpose . CBSA can verify status into their system.
eTA is not required for US citizen.
any out put from folks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Most of the time there is a loophole that allows US passport holders to travel to Canada without a PR card. However, due to COVID, this is more complicated because anyone needs a reason to travel to Canada right now.

If they don't know you are a PR, you will need some other proof of meeting a travel exemption to be able to travel to Canada. US Citizens with no ties to Canada such as work permits or family members in Canada cannot travel to Canada.

If in proving your right to travel to Canada you tell them you are a PR, they will not let you board.

cad0420

Oct 8, 2020
HI .( i know this is the rule with out valid PR card airline would not board the person ) 100% sure

if applicant hold a valid US passport did not receive PR card yet but have PR status will airline staff allow to board
how do airline knows if person have valid PR status ( travelling back to Canada on US passport ) not directly from USA
travelling by air not directly from US. searched on google by road without PR card entry will be allowed

Does US citizen exempt to show valid PR card for airline boarding purpose . CBSA can verify status into their system.
eTA is not required for US citizen.
any out put from folks
Not sure about US citizen situation... But I’ll be traveling to other country without PR card too later. I did some research that you can always apply Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTV) when you are outside of Canada in the local VFS Canada for the entry to Canada.

Thabe

May 30, 2020
You can travel through only few airports with out PR card like middle east. But on your return you must have travel document from local visa office.

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
I am not sure about this. We just travelled by land to the US and back to Canada, and we have been approved for PR but have not received our PR cards yet. We also have American passports. They had us go into the immigrations building at the border where they "verified" our PR. That was it and it was quick and simple. I'm not sure how they handle this for flying, but since US passengers are allowed in Canada now, it might not be an issue.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I am not sure about this. We just travelled by land to the US and back to Canada, and we have been approved for PR but have not received our PR cards yet. We also have American passports. They had us go into the immigrations building at the border where they "verified" our PR. That was it and it was quick and simple. I'm not sure how they handle this for flying, but since US passengers are allowed in Canada now, it might not be an issue.
You crossed at the land border. Any PR arriving at a land border without PR cards can be treated the way that you are - but they would have to be in the US first.

A PR who does not have an American passport trying to get on an airplane without a PR card will be refused boarding. Flat out.

Reactions: skye