+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling without a PR Card?

sbba

Feb 19, 2015
Hello,

I just became a PR a few days ago, from the time I was contacted on regards to the finalization of my PR and the interview there was a 12 day gap.

I asked the CIC person what identification should I use when coming back to Canada since I have a 1 week trip scheduled next Saturday. She was actually quite rude and asked me why would I want to leave the country. I said I have my niece's baptism(I'm the godmother) and this has been planned for a long time and I didn't know this was going to overlap with the PR process. She said I can't leave the country for the next 10 weeks until I receive my card, she also mentioned that if I dared to go I wasn't even going to be allowed on the plane because they check your PR card prior to leaving Canada (They do this on the way back to Canada, not before leaving Canada!?).

Isn't this a big loophole they have? This is Canada and was not expecting this type of rule. What if you have a major event or an emergency and you are stuck for 10 weeks?

I did some research and you can actually get a "permanent residence travel document" on the country you are going to visit(I'm visiting Honduras). Can we apply to this permit even if I've never had a PR card before? If so, how long does it take to get this permit? I would only be travelling for a week. Is this a common case? I always go by the rules and do not take shortcuts, if I shouldn't travel I won't, but I wanted to know if there was anything else I could so since the person on the counter was clearly having a bad day and was not helpful.

Thanks so much, I appreciate your help.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sbba said:
I did some research and you can actually get a "permanent residence travel document" on the country you are going to visit(I'm visiting Honduras). Can we apply to this permit even if I've never had a PR card before? If so, how long does it take to get this permit? I would only be travelling for a week. Is this a common case?
Yes you can apply for a PR TD. In Honduras, CIC says the visa office to apply is located in Tegucigalpa. If you are close to here, you can go in person after arriving in Honduras to drop your passport and application/fees for PR TD, and request urgent processing.

Else if you're not close, you would need to mail your passport and app to the visa office, have them process the PR TD, and mail everything back to you at your address there. Of course this would be risky given only 10 days, if there are any delays with processing or the mail you would be stuck without a passport. Much better to do everything in person.

Or an alternate way is to skip the PR TD completely, fly back to a US city close to the border, and drive into Canada. For this you don't need PR TD or a PR Card.