+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with different PR card last name (maiden) than passport (married)

woodpeckerina

Oct 2, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am in a process of changing my last name legally in Canada and while I applied to update my PR card as well it is very unlikely it will arrive on time before I have to travel to Europe and then back to Canada.

My passport (not canadian) has been already updated with a married name. And so I’m wondering what should I prepare for when coming back to Canada and showing a different last name on my PR card than what’s in passport?

Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation? I’m planning to carry my marriage certificate as well as legal name of change document linking both maiden and married names. Curious if that would be sufficient for an airline to let me board the flight?

I’d be also travelling with my 5 year old daughter, so want to be as prepared as possible.

Any insights, tips and considerations would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello everyone,

I am in a process of changing my last name legally in Canada and while I applied to update my PR card as well it is very unlikely it will arrive on time before I have to travel to Europe and then back to Canada.

My passport (not canadian) has been already updated with a married name. And so I’m wondering what should I prepare for when coming back to Canada and showing a different last name on my PR card than what’s in passport?

Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation? I’m planning to carry my marriage certificate as well as legal name of change document linking both maiden and married names. Curious if that would be sufficient for an airline to let me board the flight?

I’d be also travelling with my 5 year old daughter, so want to be as prepared as possible.

Any insights, tips and considerations would be appreciated! Thank you so much!
1, Should be sufficient. But you could always check with the airline as to what they want.