+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with COPR during COVID-19 restrictions

jab1

Dec 30, 2019
Hi all,

Sorry - I know this is probably a question that has been asked already but I couldn't find a similar thread.

I (luckily) received COPR just before all the COVID shutdowns. I have a flight to Canada booked for May 13th. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are still allowed to enter the country, but basically no one else. What I need to know is do I count as I permanent resident given I have COPR, or are you technically only a permanent resident once you have crossed the border, and your COPR has been stamped or whatever? I need some certainty to know whether I need to change my travel plans or not.

Second question - does anyone know the best point of contact to find a definite answer to this question? It's hard to find email addresses for IRCC. Would the Canadian embassy in my country give an answer or are they a service only for Canadians?

Anyone else here with similar struggles...?

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Until you have completed your landing you are not a PR

See the current exemptions for travel here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html

Soft landings are not considered essential travel if that is your plan so CBSA response can be unpredictable. Also keep in mind the mandatory 14 day quarantine which can be a challenge as not allowed to stop off on way or out even for groceries

Note you still need to persuade a checkin agent you are authorised to travel so keep that in mind With full documentation plus whilst you may have a flight booked keep in touch with your airline given many have parked planes/ furloughed staff so schedules may still be unreliable even by May

https://www.ottawapublichealth.ca/en/public-health-topics/self-isolation-instructions-for-novel-coronavirus-covid-19.aspx#1-Ottawa-Public-Health-or-a-health-care-provider-has-instructed-me-to-self-isolate-because-I-am-currently-being-tested-for-COVID-19-

Last edited:
Reactions: Icke

jab1

Dec 30, 2019
Thanks for the info. I still don't know what to do. It's so hard to know how this is all going to play out. It's meant to be my last day at my current employer soon, but maybe I need to ask to extend my notice period.

Can you confirm what you mean by soft landing? I want to move to Canada permanently asap, I'm not interesting in going and coming back or anything like that.

jab1

Dec 30, 2019
Anyone know who to contact to get an official answer regarding my likelihood of being accepted into the country?

I've already contacted my airline.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Anyone know who to contact to get an official answer regarding my likelihood of being accepted into the country?

I've already contacted my airline.
Search here, there are threads and Govt has said that those who received copr before March 15 are can enter. Or Google covid copr and look at the announcements on Canada. Ça

jab1

Dec 30, 2019
Search here, there are threads and Govt has said that those who received copr before March 15 are can enter. Or Google covid copr and look at the announcements on Canada. Ça
Ok, thanks. As far as I can tell there is an exemption for COPR, so I would be able to enter. The biggest issue currently is whether my flight would still be running or not.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Ok, thanks. As far as I can tell there is an exemption for COPR, so I would be able to enter. The biggest issue currently is whether my flight would still be running or not.
Plus needing to ensure checkin is convinced they can allow you to board. They are Likely pretty cautious currently given financial penalties May still exist if they let people through who should have been denied boarding.

Reactions: armoured

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Would they not accept a printout of the exemptions from canada.ca?
If you read some posts here of people who have travelled it has even come to the point where airlines have called CBSA or an embassy for confirmation. All anyone can do is make sure they have all their documentation in order when they checkin. As said airlines are nervous of making a mistake given the deluge of information on who can or cannot now fly. Not something really a lowly checkin agent should carry the responsibility for.

Sure you will be fine, just make sure your official documents are in order.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also need to make sure you have somewhere ready to quarantine yourself for 14 days directly from the airport. You won’t be able to go out for 14 days so you’ll need somewhere with some furnishing. You also have to plan that there won’t be much hiring for at least a few months if not longer.

AmyCLC

Star Member
Mar 25, 2020
China, Malaysia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
China for me, Malaysia for husband
App. Filed.......
01-02-2018
Doc's Request.
12-05-2018
IELTS Request
01-05-2018
Med's Request
22-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2020
Thanks for the info. I still don't know what to do. It's so hard to know how this is all going to play out. It's meant to be my last day at my current employer soon, but maybe I need to ask to extend my notice period.

Can you confirm what you mean by soft landing? I want to move to Canada permanently asap, I'm not interesting in going and coming back or anything like that.
I am in same boat (situation ) as you. I have raised Case specific enquiry but no answer for 5 weeks now... Did you raise Case specified enquiry by the webform to ask for extension or explain you situation?

Also, do you consider to go there and stuck quarantine for 14 days after soft land (this means you land to get PR card, go around visit a bit, but not settle for good). I not want to settle but soft land first, but I not want to risk health (if you read covid 1 9 blogs of vicitms, you will be so frighten to catch it as even mild symptoms are worse than worse flu!).

Like you, I think I must go, but I not want risk it. So I try to message them first to ask extension and explain it is crazy to expect applycants to travel (lots of mony) and stay quarantine (14 days also cost so much!).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in same boat (situation ) as you. I have raised Case specific enquiry but no answer for 5 weeks now... Did you raise Case specified enquiry by the webform to ask for extension or explain you situation?

Also, do you consider to go there and stuck quarantine for 14 days after soft land (this means you land to get PR card, go around visit a bit, but not settle for good). I not want to settle but soft land first, but I not want to risk health (if you read covid 1 9 blogs of vicitms, you will be so frighten to catch it as even mild symptoms are worse than worse flu!).

Like you, I think I must go, but I not want risk it. So I try to message them first to ask extension and explain it is crazy to expect applycants to travel (lots of mony) and stay quarantine (14 days also cost so much!).
Soft landing will require you to still remain in Quarantine. Don’t think they are giving out SINs anymore. You apply for PR cards and they come in the mail in multiple weeks. When does you COPR expire?

AmyCLC

Star Member
Mar 25, 2020
China, Malaysia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
China for me, Malaysia for husband
App. Filed.......
01-02-2018
Doc's Request.
12-05-2018
IELTS Request
01-05-2018
Med's Request
22-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2020
Soft landing will require you to still remain in Quarantine. Don’t think they are giving out SINs anymore. You apply for PR cards and they come in the mail in multiple weeks. When does you COPR expire?
Thanks Canuck. My CopR expire in May, so soon approaching... ><

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Canuck. My CopR expire in May, so soon approaching... ><
When were your flights? Did they get cancelled. It seems like you have been trying to reach someone for 5 weeks which would have made you eligible to do a short landing before any limits on flying.