+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with a Canadian spouse - PR status requirements

Glynis

Jul 23, 2018
Hello forum, I am looking for some information regarding residency obligation for my husband.

I applied for Canadian Citizenship in June 2015 with 3 years rule just days before the 4 years requirement change and got my citizenship in 2016.
Unfortunately my husband travelled a lot outside Canada for work and fell short of days at that time and could not apply for his Citizenship as the rules changed to 4 years residency requirement
Then my husband got a very good job offer in US and moved to US in October 2015 and I have joined in the US since August 2016.

My husbands PR card has expired and technically he is not meeting physical presence in Canada on his own account.

Soon it will be two years since we are living in the US and me as a Canadian citizen

We are planning to apply for his PR renewal based on Travelling with a Canadian spouse

The main question I have is that in these 2 years he has travelled to Europe on two work assignments for 4 and 6 weeks while I was in the US.
And then I have travelled to India for 8 weeks while he was in the US

Hence in these two years there have been instances where were travelling and not technically living together for around 18 weeks.

Will that impact the PR renewal?

Should he wait to make up the 18 weeks that we did not travel together in the last 2 years before he can apply for PR renewal.

Reactions: harryIsBrahmachari

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Yes he should wait the extra 18 weeks. Based on your situation I am quite certain that IRCC will apply a lot of scrutiny on your husbands application. And when he was in Europe he definitely was not accompanying you etc.

Wait those extra 18 weeks, then apply. And of course, have some buffer and don't apply with exactly 730 days.

harryIsBrahmachari

Feb 26, 2015
India
Hello forum, I am looking for some information regarding residency obligation for my husband.

I applied for Canadian Citizenship in June 2015 with 3 years rule just days before the 4 years requirement change and got my citizenship in 2016.
Unfortunately my husband travelled a lot outside Canada for work and fell short of days at that time and could not apply for his Citizenship as the rules changed to 4 years residency requirement
Then my husband got a very good job offer in US and moved to US in October 2015 and I have joined in the US since August 2016.

My husbands PR card has expired and technically he is not meeting physical presence in Canada on his own account.

Soon it will be two years since we are living in the US and me as a Canadian citizen

We are planning to apply for his PR renewal based on Traveling with a Canadian spouse

The main question I have is that in these 2 years he has travelled to Europe on two work assignments for 4 and 6 weeks while I was in the US.
And then I have travelled to India for 8 weeks while he was in the US

Hence in these two years there have been instances where were traveling and not technically living together for around 18 weeks.

Will that impact the PR renewal?

Should he wait to make up the 18 weeks that we did not travel together in the last 2 years before he can apply for PR renewal.

Hey, @Glynis
Just wondering what is the status of your husband's PR now ? Did he apply ?
I am in similar situation and need your leanings in this scenario.