+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling while PR card being Renewed

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
I am currently living and working in Canada. Planning to travel to my home country to visit family for two two weeks and to renew my expiring passport (July). My PR is expiring in June as well. I am planning to apply for PR renewal before I go (as it takes more than two months). However will be back before the processing completes. Will I face any issues on my way back trying to enter with my current PR card and a new passport while having a PR renewal application being processed?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you do not receive your new PR Card before you leave Canada, you will need to apply for a PRTD while you are abroad (cannot apply from inside Canada). If your PR Card arrives while you are away, you could have it couriered to you, but the PRTD option may be faster.

Also, it's important to know that once the new card has been issued (could be `issued' but sitting in a pile somewhere at IRCC waiting to be mailed and you'd have no idea), the old card will become invalid after 60 days...even if its expiry date has not passed.

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
If you do not receive your new PR Card before you leave Canada, you will need to apply for a PRTD while you are abroad (cannot apply from inside Canada). If your PR Card arrives while you are away, you could have it couriered to you, but the PRTD option may be faster.

Also, it's important to know that once the new card has been issued (could be `issued' but sitting in a pile somewhere at IRCC waiting to be mailed and you'd have no idea), the old card will become invalid after 60 days...even if its expiry date has not passed.
Why sj1234567 has to apply for a PRTD from home country? His existing PR card is active and can be used to enter into Canada provided it has not been 60 days since the new card was issued.

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016

I am planning to apply for PR card renewal within the next week and to travel by end of next week. I am planning to be back within two weeks (by the first week of April). So hopefully I will make it before the PR card renewal is complete and they courier me the new card. So I assume in this case I don't need to apply for the PRTD as I have a valid card with me when I come back (I am not planning to stay more than two months since my submission of the PR card renewal application anyway so I will be within the timeline you mentioned too). Would that be fine? Do I still need to apply for PRTD? My understanding is no need. Any thoughts?

Also where is this two months timeline is mentioned in?

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
Why sj1234567 has to apply for a PRTD from home country? His existing PR card is active and can be used to enter into Canada provided it has not been 60 days since the new card was issued.
This is what I also think. If my PR card is still valid while the new one is being processed, I should not have any issue with using my current PR card for its intended purpose of travelling outside of the country and coming back. Appreciate your thought.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, meant to say that if the current PR Card expires while abroad, then a PRTD would be needed (to appease a commercial carrier.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reactions: hustmonk

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Will I face any issues on my way back trying to enter with my current PR card and a new passport while having a PR renewal application being processed?
If your PR card is still valid, no, you shouldn't have any problem. Keep a photocopy of your current (old) passport so that you can show it was replaced with the new one.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Does the old pr card have the same numbers as the new one?
The number on front - the UCI - will remain the same. There is a different number on back that I believe is coded to the physical card and so will be new. Not many cases you will use the latter number, but there are some {all govt i think).

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
The number on front - the UCI - will remain the same. There is a different number on back that I believe is coded to the physical card and so will be new. Not many cases you will use the latter number, but there are some {all govt i think).
For the oath ceremony, are you required to show both sides prior to cutting it up?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For the oath ceremony, are you required to show both sides prior to cutting it up?
Don't know. But you're required to destroy all valid (by date) PR cards in your possession, regardless of how carefully they check.

What are you getting at/what problem are you trying to solve?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You CANNOT use your PR card (regardless if you cut it up) after you became a citizen.
If you need to travel, let IRCC know to get the certificate as urgent and also apply for passport with express fee (provide trave dates)

Parwinderjit

Mar 28, 2018
Hi Guys,

I applied for the renewal of my PR card last week and now planning to go to India for 2 months. PR processing time takes 65 days as of now and my PR card is valid till April. Will there be any issue If I get they issuance of the new PR card in Feb while I coming in March? I was not aware that I cant travel if I am process of renewal PR card.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I applied for the renewal of my PR card last week and now planning to go to India for 2 months. PR processing time takes 65 days as of now and my PR card is valid till April. Will there be any issue If I get they issuance of the new PR card in Feb while I coming in March? I was not aware that I cant travel if I am process of renewal PR card.
Probably no issue. You can use your existing card before the expiry date. Btw 65 days is only for information only. Some people might get their cards longer than posted times.