+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Toronto - Landing in Montreal (Transit)

Radix

Mar 22, 2017
Hi All,
I am an FSW and would be completing my first landing on June 13. My flight would transit through Montreal (2 hrs halt) to Toronto. As there are a lot of conflicting threads on the topic of landing in Quebec, I had following queries:

1. Will my landing formalities be completed at Montreal or Toronto? From what I've read on other threads in the forum, one can't land in Quebec if he/she is not part of the QSW.

- I have the ticket for the onward journey to Toronto
- Address for PR card delivery is in Toronto

2. In case FSW can complete the landing process in Montreal, is 2 hrs enough to complete the process? If I miss my flight, will I be accommodated in the next available flight? (Travelling by WestJet from Montreal to Toronto)

Awaiting your responses/experience,
Radix

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)you must complete immigration/customs formalities at your first POE even if that is Montreal. You also have to collect your luggage for a customs check and the drop it off at a connections desk once you have completed your landing .You will have an onward domestic flight ticket so should have no issues if asked to show it.

2)usually at least 3 hour connection is recommended given depends how many other international flights arrive same time and also how many other landings are taking place., could be shorter could be longer no way to predict. As for whether Westjest will accommodate you on next flight no idea you will need contact them. Sometimes airlines will sometimes not can depend even on the type of ticket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radix

SoniaJav

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
A 2hr stay is nowhere near enough for all the stuff you have to do.
2hrs maybe just enough for the immigration formalities but remember you have got to go through the proceaa of collecting luggage, clearing customs and re.checkin your luggage! That in itself will require a lot of time. Your airline (be it domestic) might require you to have checked in a few hours prior.
Its best that you ask your airline.

nasrab

Dec 13, 2013
Radix, i suggest calling CIC and clear that up. I don't think you need to complete immigration papers here if you are only transiting. Did the airline tell you you will need to check in your luggages again in Montreal or will it be checked directly to Toronto? I think it's best to call CIC and clarify instead of worrying as am sure you must be now after reading the answers!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Radix, i suggest calling CIC and clear that up. I don't think you need to complete immigration papers here if you are only transiting. Did the airline tell you you will need to check in your luggages again in Montreal or will it be checked directly to Toronto? I think it's best to call CIC and clarify instead of worrying as am sure you must be now after reading the answers!!
The airline will offload the luggage at the first entry point into Canada , this is standard airline practice unless the traveller is literally transiting Canada for another country. So yes luggage is tagged through to final destination but must clear customs at first POE, then can be dropped off at a connections desk for the domestic segment.

The reason being at the first POE a traveller must clear customs and immigration given transiting at Montreal for Toronto a traveller is transitioning from an international flight to a domestic flight and when they land in Toronto there will be no immigration or customs checks from a domestic flight.

If a traveller still has a valid TRV or is visa exempt then I guess, and others can comment as well, then in theory someone could tell Immigration in Montreal that they are not landing on entry but will either flagpole or attend a CIC office later.

However this will maybe, and I cannot categorically say mean that someone might have to make additional arrangements for their customs landing and goods to follow when they eventually flagpole or attend an office.

Always if in doubt ask the airline not CIC about connections at Montreal given having just read the info on Air Canada and Montreal airport sites it is not clear as only refers to border controls not customs specifically plus different options whether EU or non EU which makes little sense.

Last edited: