+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to the US for business while waiting for final approval...

switchtofrank

Apr 17, 2012
Hi there,

my partner is a Canadian resident and sponsored me under the common-law class (German citizen). I am currently waiting for final approval but I will have to travel to the States for business otherwise I might loose my job. I have an open work permit and a visitor status document which says on it "temporary resident status maintained". What are my chances to get back into Canada if I fly to the States for a week? Would it help to bring her with me? Is there anything else I could do to ensure that I will get back into Canada?

Thank you soooo much!
Regards

Frank

switchtofrank

Apr 17, 2012
switchtofrank said:
Hi there,

my partner is a Canadian resident and sponsored me under the common-law class (German citizen). I am currently waiting for final approval but I will have to travel to the States for business otherwise I might loose my job. I have an open work permit and a visitor status document which says on it "temporary resident status maintained". What are my chances to get back into Canada if I fly to the States for a week? Would it help to bring her with me? Is there anything else I could do to ensure that I will get back into Canada?

Thank you soooo much!
Regards

Frank
Did I miss any information you would need to answer this? THANK YOU!!!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
switchtofrank said:
Hi there,

Thank you soooo much!
Regards

Frank
I'd say your chance of being allowed to re-enter are very high. You are visa exempt, you have a valid status in Canada and your partner is in Canada. To refuse you entry an officer would need to have grounds for refusal - e.g., if you ran into legal trouble in the US, like a DUI.

Further, if you are refused, you have the ability to challenge the refusal and in your case are very likely to receive a hearing due to the serious ramifications that such a refusal would have upon you.

So if I had to give you odds, I'd say you're more likely to win the lottery than you are to be refused re-entry. Just be on your best behaviour when outside Canada.

switchtofrank

Apr 17, 2012
Hi computergeek,

thank you very much for your answer! If I am reentering Canada I assume I should just tell the immigrations officer straight up my situation and why I traveled to the US? Would you suggest to have a copy of my rental agreement with me and maybe a job letter which says that I am required to travel internationally?

Thank you sooooo much!
Have a great day!

Frank

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
switchtofrank said:
thank you very much for your answer! If I am reentering Canada I assume I should just tell the immigrations officer straight up my situation and why I traveled to the US? Would you suggest to have a copy of my rental agreement with me and maybe a job letter which says that I am required to travel internationally?
While neither of those are necessary, they won't harm you either. What I would suggest is having a copy of your work permit and your AIP letter. The work permit gives you status in Canada and should be sufficient for them. The AIP letter puts them on notice that if they refuse you, they're making your life VERY difficult - and the manual says NOT to refuse you unless there is some valid reason for doing so.

Good luck!