+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to India with Indian and Canadian passport

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
No random person could suggest this on this forum....the best bet is you can take your chances...
Still someone bothered to reply. A lot of people don't. It is clearly stated on their websites but when it comes to Indian government, no one wants to rely on chances.

Dolly143

Sep 28, 2017
Still someone bothered to reply. A lot of people don't. It is clearly stated on their websites but when it comes to Indian government, no one wants to rely on chances.
If u dont want to rely on chnces...what ever you want to listen will be a reply here...!! Every immigration has their own set of terms...and it will either be a good luck or bad luck...also there are cases where i heard negative response ...its probability...no straight answer could b posted here i hope...and u cannot rely entirely on the forum....

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
If u dont want to rely on chnces...what ever you want to listen will be a reply here...!! Every immigration has their own set of terms...and it will either be a good luck or bad luck...also there are cases where i heard negative response ...its probability...no straight answer could b posted here i hope...and u cannot rely entirely on the forum....
Exactly. Indian immigration got their own which is why i wanted to see if someone has dealt with them.

Dolly143

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly. Indian immigration got their own which is why i wanted to see if someone has dealt with them.
Dealt with immigration LOL!!!
U have to undersrand one last thing and first thing!!! The rule that applies to someone with some officer doesnt exactly apply to you or me!! Thatz how it works...for your peace of mind u have got gud advices and suggestions from couple of friends on this forum....

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
I did not take any print out, but you can. My understanding of the 3 month rule is that in case like ours we can travel for the first 3 months and after that if you still use Indian passport to travel they will penalize. I don't think immigration in India will create a scene on exit, if they ask just say travel up to 3 months is allowed and show them print out, there is nothing like authorization from High Commission.
I have stated my experience, however as Dolly says application of rule may differ from officer to officer but you can present your case when situation arises. Worst case scenario is that you may incur a penalty of C$343 for your visit to India.

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
http://www.cgivancouver.org/pages.php?id=47

"There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel."
Yea this is what I was going by. But atleast knowing that someone has already been there done that makes me less jittery about the whole situation. Offcourse it can vary from one individual to another as Dolly143 said but i just wanted to go by the said rules. Funny part is when i emailed CGI Vancouver about this, the reply I received was that "All the information about grace period is already on the website.".. lol

Thanks again

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Also,
"Former Indian passport holders, while applying for visa, are required to submit a copy of the Surrender / Renunciation Certificate in respect of the surrender of the last held Indian passport."

I doubt you can get surrender certificate in few days to get Indian visa. Hence 3 month grace period to be used as per my understanding.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
If you have 20 days before you travel, get surrender certificate n apply for e-visa...less hassles...

TorontoFerrari

Star Member
Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
11-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
28-02-2014
Med's Done....
03-03-2014
Passport Req..
18-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
If you have 20 days before you travel, get surrender certificate n apply for e-visa...less hassles...
Hi JJS,
Were you able to travel on both Indian & Canadian passport without any hassle or penalty?
I will have the similar situation. My understanding is:
1). While existing Canada you are going to show Indian passport only.
2). When you land in India, again you need to show Indian passport only. Also same apply to if there is any halt (couple of hrs, staying within airport).
3). When you exit India, you need to show Canadian passport only.

So 3 months grace period applicable for above point 1 & 2 only?
Will i still fall under 3 months grace period if i travel to Indian with in 3 months but comes back to Canada after 3 months?

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
Hi JJS,
Were you able to travel on both Indian & Canadian passport without any hassle or penalty?
I will have the similar situation. My understanding is:
1). While existing Canada you are going to show Indian passport only.
2). When you land in India, again you need to show Indian passport only. Also same apply to if there is any halt (couple of hrs, staying within airport).
3). When you exit India, you need to show Canadian passport only.

So 3 months grace period applicable for above point 1 & 2 only?
Will i still fall under 3 months grace period if i travel to Indian with in 3 months but comes back to Canada after 3 months?
you cannot do this...becos when you exit india(#3) - they will ask for entry stamp on the canadian passport which you dont have....as you showed your indian passport to enter - #2 ( which is illegal) the minute you take Canadian citizenship you cease to be an indian citizen.

One of my friend went to india this way and was stuck in india for 2 months to surrender the passport and get a india travelling document to exit india.

Reactions: prash42

TorontoFerrari

Star Member
Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
11-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
28-02-2014
Med's Done....
03-03-2014
Passport Req..
18-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
you cannot do this...becos when you exit india(#3) - they will ask for entry stamp on the canadian passport which you dont have....as you showed your indian passport to enter - #2 ( which is illegal) the minute you take Canadian citizenship you cease to be an indian citizen.

One of my friend went to india this way and was stuck in india for 2 months to surrender the passport and get a india travelling document to exit india.
Then what's the meaning of three months grace period as CGI Toronto mentioned at their website:

There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
Then what's the meaning of three months grace period as CGI Toronto mentioned at their website:

There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel
I do not know. there are contradicting statements on the BLS website too.. as quoted below

You can travel to India using Indian passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship, but there is a catch!
2. Penalty for travelling on Indian Passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 343 for each time, subject to a maximum of C$ 1711

Source:
http://blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
I just wanted to share what my friend went through - he was forced to return home from the airport and then go to the passport office resolve the issue. many people have share similar stories on this forum.
I think it is a difficult situation to be in - arguing with an indian border officer when you are trying to catch a plane back.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
i would just get the e visa and go. you would get it in less than 2 days. I wouldnt take the risk of someone stopping and you trying to show him rules on the website while the flight is on hold.