+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to India with Indian and Canadian passport

venugopalt

Star Member
Jun 24, 2013
Well, Indian consulate was least helpful, i ended up calling high commission in ottawa and they said the grace period of 3 months is not for travelling to india but other countries for which we might have visas on Indian passport. For India they said you can get in trouble with immigration, they had no sure answers and the conversation was full was 'mights', 'maybe', 'could be', 'very likely'. But in the end they recommended surrendering the passport and then travelling by applying eVisa. once you have your oath, you can apply to surrender right away and it takes around 7 business days to get your surrender certificate in the mail. I think in the meantime you can go ahead and apply for eVisa. But the only thing to make sure is, you must have eVisa and CDN passport before you enter India, no matter what.

As far as rescheduling the oath is concerned, you could always do that and then see when you turn shows up again which could take a while.

For me personally, the oath got scheduled at a time when i was back from my India trip, hence i did not have to worry about the mess. But just followe the rulebook when it comes to Indian embassy, anything out of way could only make things worse.
Thank you very much for your prompt response. It is very useful. Really appreciate it.
I am planning to wait until April for oath invitation. If I don't get it by then will apply for PR Card renewal and postpone my Oath if it comes after April.

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
Well, Indian consulate was least helpful, i ended up calling high commission in ottawa and they said the grace period of 3 months is not for travelling to india but other countries for which we might have visas on Indian passport. For India they said you can get in trouble with immigration, they had no sure answers and the conversation was full was 'mights', 'maybe', 'could be', 'very likely'. But in the end they recommended surrendering the passport and then travelling by applying eVisa. once you have your oath, you can apply to surrender right away and it takes around 7 business days to get your surrender certificate in the mail. I think in the meantime you can go ahead and apply for eVisa. But the only thing to make sure is, you must have eVisa and CDN passport before you enter India, no matter what.

As far as rescheduling the oath is concerned, you could always do that and then see when you turn shows up again which could take a while.

For me personally, the oath got scheduled at a time when i was back from my India trip, hence i did not have to worry about the mess. But just followe the rulebook when it comes to Indian embassy, anything out of way could only make things worse.
How much time gap was there between your initial oath date and rescheduled date?

kot81

May 15, 2017
Hi All,
I have a question: assuming that I apply for Canada Passport, Surrender India passport and apply for eVisa to go to India, can I apply from inside india for a regular tourist visa(not eVisa), since the eVida would be applicable for only 60 days. I am aware of the option to apply for OCI from inside India, but, assuming that the OCI from india takes around 3-4 months, by which time the 60 days eVisa will have expired, I want to know whether I could apply for the Tourist Visa from within India. Please advise

Thanks,
Kot81

archshenoy

Nov 19, 2021
You were the one I was waiting for. Thank you so much for clarifying this! I am travelling a lot so won't have enough time to apply for OCI but wanted to know what would happen if i just show a different passport to the immigration. Would they stop me from travelling, or make a scene, or make me miss my flight back to Canada. Probably the Indian high commission were better in 2013 and now they just stopped responding. Did you carry any proofs such as website print outs or authorization from High commission or anything of that sort?
Hi JJS,
I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you were able to travel smoothly or did you face issues in immigration?

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Hi JJS,
I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you were able to travel smoothly or did you face issues in immigration?
This thread is nearly 4 years old. I doubt the person will respond

See this post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-9845599 and then see the continuing discussion.

Long story short - you maybe able to travel to India with your indian passport, but you wont be able to return back to Canada easily.

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
Hi JJS,
In today’s uncertain times. Not worth it tbh. I ended up delaying my oath even back then because i have heard horror stories about how troubling it is to come back to Canada later. But I would play safest bet while traveling during covid.

JJS

Jan 29, 2011
This thread is nearly 4 years old. I doubt the person will respond

See this post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-9845599 and then see the continuing discussion.

Long story short - you maybe able to travel to India with your indian passport, but you wont be able to return back to Canada easily.
Correct. Traveling to India would be on false terms too in a way because we cease to be Indian citizens once we take up another citizenship. Surrender process is just to get a certificate for it. I wouldn’t risk any pain dealing with Indian immigration tbh.

KumarJayx

Star Member
Jun 8, 2020
Regarding travelling with both indian and canadian passport, based on the conversation, I believe we can travel but land in trouble. Worst case they will put penalty right? This is in case there is an emergency.
Also, Evisa is cancelled for canadian citizens and entry visa there is no appointment. So, i left with no option but have to wait till i get my OCI card to travel to india.

smansuri97

Apr 9, 2018
App. Filed.......
16th august
how do you like this option. IF you travel india by indian passport to india. on return you travel to dubai with indian passport. stay there for two days. and fly back canada with canadian passport. Will this be too risky? will there be any problem at canadian airpot?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
how do you like this option. IF you travel india by indian passport to india. on return you travel to dubai with indian passport. stay there for two days. and fly back canada with canadian passport. Will this be too risky? will there be any problem at canadian airpot?
You can only find out when you try this option. Please keep us posted if you do.

How will you travel to Dubai from India? You would have to get a UAE visa at cost and then run the risk of getting into trouble with UAE immigration. They will look for a visa / entry stamp on your Canadian passport when getting out of Dubai. BTW, they also check your boarding pass at Dxb immigration.

smansuri97

Apr 9, 2018
App. Filed.......
16th august
You can only find out when you try this option. Please keep us posted if you do.

How will you travel to Dubai from India? You would have to get a UAE visa at cost and then run the risk of getting into trouble with UAE immigration. They will look for a visa / entry stamp on your Canadian passport when getting out of Dubai. BTW, they also check your boarding pass at Dxb immigration.
Get dubai visa on Indian passport? Enter with cad passport, exit with canadian passport

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Get dubai visa on Indian passport? Enter with cad passport, exit with canadian passport
LOL. Give it a shot and see how it goes. Keep us posted :)

With Indian immigration, it is better not to **** around and then find out. Humble suggestion, especially if you are from any of the minorities.

smansuri97

Apr 9, 2018
App. Filed.......
16th august
LOL. Give it a shot and see how it goes. Keep us posted :)

With Indian immigration, it is better not to **** around and then find out. Humble suggestion, especially if you are from any of the minorities.
Thanks for the suggestion brother. Just looking for all the options