+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Canada from US with expired PR Card

aaruhani

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. My PR card expired last month and based on the current processing timeline, the renewal is taking more than 3 months. I need to travel to US next month for a couple of days and come back to Canada. Can I travel to US and come back to Canada with an expired PR card? Also my citizenship application is in process for Canada (waiting for OATH ceremony dates). Any idea if I will be allowed to enter Canada on expired PR Card?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Provided that you have met the residency requirement, the only way for you to return to Canada with an expired PR card would be via private travel (foot or car) across the land border.

Unless you have an American passport, you would not be permitted to board a plane/train/bus across the border.

Reactions: aaruhani

aaruhani

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Provided that you have met the residency requirement, the only way for you to return to Canada with an expired PR card would be via private travel (foot or car) across the land border.

Unless you have an American passport, you would not be permitted to board a plane/train/bus across the border.
If I come by rental car, will that work? Also any idea what other documents are required if the PR card is expired?

wisetrack

Jun 18, 2018
If I come by rental car, will that work? Also any idea what other documents are required if the PR card is expired?
I think only rental cars are allowed if you are resident of Canada - meaning you cannot drive in with a privately owned US vehicle, you will be asked to pay taxes.

For the documents you can refer to this link:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s1
Section - "Other acceptable documents to support identity"

ramansingh05

Dec 15, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi Visa Office
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
CRS- 422
Doc's Request.
Awaited
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
Awaited
IELTS Request
08-10-2016
Med's Request
12-05-2017
Med's Done....
12-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited
LANDED..........
Awaited
Hi. My PR card expired last month and based on the current processing timeline, the renewal is taking more than 3 months. I need to travel to US next month for a couple of days and come back to Canada. Can I travel to US and come back to Canada with an expired PR card? Also my citizenship application is in process for Canada (waiting for OATH ceremony dates). Any idea if I will be allowed to enter Canada on expired PR Card?
Hi did you travelled to US via land border? Any concerns