+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling temporarily outside Canada after ITA/Submission?

actntrl

Jan 21, 2017
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me clarify some queries regarding my CEC application.

My situation:
I am currently on a PGWP (valid until July 2019) but in the process of submitting everything after the ITA and should be done within the next few weeks.

Some Questions:

Am I allowed to leave Canada (on a leisure trip about 6 weeks) after submitting all the required documentation? Or should I wait until my PR has been approved?

2. Do they physically take my passport to put the PR visa on it and how long does that take? Will that impede my travel in any way?

3. If my PR gets approved while I am out of the country travelling, does that void my PGWP and how do I get back into the country?

Any feedback for any of these questions will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance and have a great day.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi there,

1. Yes you can travel. In fact you can move out and await the outcome.

2. Once everything is done they will ask for your passport for the visa stamp. Depending on CIC workload, anything between 2 weeks to 1 or 2 months of waiting.

3. Once you land with your PR visa all other visas will automatically get void in their system.

If your 6 weeks travel falls in the beginning or the middle of the application, you should be fine. If it falls at the very end stages like medicals, and pr visa stamp, you're better off changing your resident address so CIC knows where to direct their correspondence to. Like the embassy and medical offices at the specific location.

Also on a different note, just so you know PGWP will not grant you re-entry to Canada. You will be needing a re-entry visa for that. Unless you are from one of the exempt countries.

Best of luck,

Reactions: actntrl

actntrl

Jan 21, 2017
Thanks for your reply!

1. I've read on this forum that if you show them you have pre-purchased travel plans they'll expedite the passport stamping for you - is this true?

2. How long can I expect the usual process to be from start to finish (ITA to approval/stamping passport)? I have all the documentation ready to go.

3. I will be keeping my Canadian residential address and have already made arrangements to have mail couriered to me wherever I may be. Luckily I am visa exempt! This should be no problem, right?

Once my PR gets approved and stamped, do I have to leave the country and officially "land"?

Thank you again for your insights - much appreciated
Hi there,

1. Yes you can travel. In fact you can move out and await the outcome.

2. Once everything is done they will ask for your passport for the visa stamp. Depending on CIC workload, anything between 2 weeks to 1 or 2 months of waiting.

3. Once you land with your PR visa all other visas will automatically get void in their system.

If your 6 weeks travel falls in the beginning or the middle of the application, you should be fine. If it falls at the very end stages like medicals, and pr visa stamp, you're better off changing your resident address so CIC knows where to direct their correspondence to. Like the embassy and medical offices at the specific location.

Also on a different note, just so you know PGWP will not grant you re-entry to Canada. You will be needing a re-entry visa for that. Unless you are from one of the exempt countries.

Best of luck,

rzthomas

Jan 12, 2018
1. I've read on this forum that if you show them you have pre-purchased travel plans they'll expedite the passport stamping for you - is this true?

-yes in most cases, but the decision is always upto them

2. How long can I expect the usual process to be from start to finish (ITA to approval/stamping passport)? I have all the documentation ready to go.

-as per myimmitracker, it takes an average of 97 days for passport request, but recent cases shows PPR in 30-40 day period

3. I will be keeping my Canadian residential address and have already made arrangements to have mail couriered to me wherever I may be. Luckily I am visa exempt! This should be no problem, right?

- I think that's fine

Once my PR gets approved and stamped, do I have to leave the country and officially "land"?

-yes, or a flagpole at any Canadian border

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Am I allowed to leave Canada (on a leisure trip about 4 days in USA) before submitting all the required documentation for PR?

I am able to come back Canada with my passport, but will it affect anything like PR? ( i will mention this trip in travel history)

I just get my ITA and I can't submit until May (2 years work exp in May)

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Am I allowed to leave Canada (on a leisure trip about 4 days in USA) before submitting all the required documentation for PR?

I am able to come back Canada with my passport, but will it affect anything like PR? ( i will mention this trip in travel history)

I just get my ITA and I can't submit until May (2 years work exp in May)
Did you say in your profile you already had 2 years work experience even though you didn't at the time your profile was submitted?

Remember that your answers in your profile must be accurate both, at the time your profile when you got the ITA and when you submit your application. Otherwise you are risking 'misrepresentation' with its consequences.