+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling out of Canada

pugilist

Oct 4, 2018
Hi everyone

I got my Landed and PR in July 2014 but only stayed for a week as I was working in UK. (PR expiry July 2019)

I moved to Canada in July 2017 just in time to meet my 2yrs RO, but due to pending work travelled back to UK for 8 weeks in Nov-Dec.

I have been settled in Canada since Dec 2017 and set up my own self employed business. I need to travel outside Canada for some consultancy work offered which is 2 weeks long.

Is there an issue if I travel for couple of weeks outside Canada?

The advice I have been given by an immigration consultant is that because I have a valid PR and genuinely settled in Canada there should be no issues to travel for couple of weeks for work.

Appreciate any responses on the above.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi everyone

I got my Landed and PR in July 2014 but only stayed for a week as I was working in UK. (PR expiry July 2019)

I moved to Canada in July 2017 just in time to meet my 2yrs RO, but due to pending work travelled back to UK for 8 weeks in Nov-Dec.

I have been settled in Canada since Dec 2017 and set up my own self employed business. I need to travel outside Canada for some consultancy work offered which is 2 weeks long.

Is there an issue if I travel for couple of weeks outside Canada?

The advice I have been given by an immigration consultant is that because I have a valid PR and genuinely settled in Canada there should be no issues to travel for couple of weeks for work.

Appreciate any responses on the above.
Have you spent more than 1095 days outside Canada since you landed as a Permanent Resident? If not, you are ok to travel, as you are not yet outside your first 5 years as a Permanent Resident. Within the first 1825 days, you must be in Canada for a minimum of 730 days. Your PR card expiry date is irrelevant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Every time you leave you are at risk of being reported which I why it is not recommended to come back with only 2 years left on your RO. I sense that you will continue having to leave Canada for work. One day you may be caught and there is not much sympathy for someone who can't meet the really lenient RO.

pugilist

Oct 4, 2018
Have you spent more than 1095 days outside Canada since you landed as a Permanent Resident? If not, you are ok to travel, as you are not yet outside your first 5 years as a Permanent Resident. Within the first 1825 days, you must be in Canada for a minimum of 730 days. Your PR card expiry date is irrelevant.
I landed in June 2014 and PR card date is July 2014.

I have been out more than 1095 days (1140 currently) if I count from my PR card date.

pugilist

Oct 4, 2018
Every time you leave you are at risk of being reported which I why it is not recommended to come back with only 2 years left on your RO. I sense that you will continue having to leave Canada for work. One day you may be caught and there is not much sympathy for someone who can't meet the really lenient RO.
Actually its a one off situation with good pay that has got me interested. I would not be leaving Canada until I get my PR card extended after this. But I get your point that I am at risk and should acknowledge it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I landed in June 2014 and PR card date is July 2014.

I have been out more than 1095 days (1140 currently) if I count from my PR card date.
Count from your landing date. PR card dates are not relevant to your RO calculation.

Mohamed123

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Guys i have a question to make my wife and child are canadian citizens and i have a PR , we all live outside canada! now what i want to know is if i live outside canada more than 3 years will i not be able to renew my PR card? does living with a canadian protect your PR status from expiring?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Guys i have a question to make my wife and child are canadian citizens and i have a PR , we all live outside canada! now what i want to know is if i live outside canada more than 3 years will i not be able to renew my PR card? does living with a canadian protect your PR status from expiring?
In theory, it depends on why your Canadian citizen wife is living outside Canada. Who is accompanying who?

There are currently a number of active threads in the forum on this subject. I suggest that you read them.

Mohamed123

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Well the scenario is that I am currently working in Dubai and I have a PR and my wife and child who are both canadian citizens are still here with me , my wife doesn't work and she is a house wife taking care of my child. So In this case do I still have to return back to Canada to meet the PR obligations, thnx

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Well the scenario is that I am currently working in Dubai and I have a PR and my wife and child who are both canadian citizens are still here with me , my wife doesn't work and she is a house wife taking care of my child. So In this case do I still have to return back to Canada to meet the PR obligations, thnx
So, in fact, she is accompanying you, not the other way round.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/who-accompanied-whom-can-matter-for-prs-living-with-citizen-spouse-abroad-update.579860/