+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling out of Canada during study permit extension process

amazingpaddy

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
Hi All,

I am a International student and have study permit valid till July 23rd 2022 (as per my old passport expired date). I got my new passport and applied for the study permit extension on Jan 20 2022 but its still in Progress. Now I am planning to travel to my home country on April 29th 2022 for my brother marriage and will be back on May 10th 2022.

I got confused when I checked CIC website whether I can travel outside Canada when my extension application progress. They have mentioned 2 points and I didn't understand the second paragraph (in italics and red color text). I feel the second point contradicts the first point.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1308&top=15

When you return to Canada
If your study permit is still valid, or we extended your permit while you were away, we may let you enter as a student.

If we’re still processing your study permit extension*, we may let you enter as a visitor. In this case, you can’t study until you get your extended study permit. The officer at the port of entry may also ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I am a International student and have study permit valid till July 23rd 2022 (as per my old passport expired date). I got my new passport and applied for the study permit extension on Jan 20 2022 but its still in Progress. Now I am planning to travel to my home country on April 29th 2022 for my brother marriage and will be back on May 10th 2022.

I got confused when I checked CIC website whether I can travel outside Canada when my extension application progress. They have mentioned 2 points and I didn't understand the second paragraph (in italics and red color text). I feel the second point contradicts the first point.

If your study permit is still valid, or we extended your permit while you were away, we may let you enter as a student.

If we’re still processing your study permit extension*, we may let you enter as a visitor. In this case, you can’t study until you get your extended study permit. The officer at the port of entry may also ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
Do you have a valid TRV?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi All,

If you TRV is valid and you come back before expiry of both TRV and current SP, then point 1 applies to you. If you come back while your SP is expired but your TRV is valid, they "may" admit you as visitor. second point applies. If your TRV is expired and you leave Canada, you wont be able to come back ( airlines wont issue boarding pass)...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
you meant passport stamping ?
I mean a TRV (temporary resident visa). Do you have a valid TRV? Or do you just have your study permit?

You need to have a valid TRV to be able to board a plane and return to Canada. Right now it takes many months to get a TRV. So if you don't already have one, your trip as planned won't be possible.

amazingpaddy

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
I mean a TRV (temporary resident visa). Do you have a valid TRV? Or do you just have your study permit?

You need to have a valid TRV to be able to board a plane and return to Canada. Right now it takes many months to get a TRV. So if you don't already have one, your trip as planned won't be possible.
I have both study permit and a stamp in my passport (this is what you meant by TRV ?).

amazingpaddy

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020

I have study permit and TRV pasted in my passport.. Attached sample image which I downloaded from internet.