+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling from India or similar country back to Canada with an expired PR card

bhargav786

Feb 23, 2014
is it possible to board a return flight from India or similar country using an expired pr card without anyone noticing?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I’d hesitate to say it’s impossible, but I think it’s highly improbable. Flights from India to Canada are commonplace, so I’m sure they have the routine of checking visa, passport and PR card validity down pat.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As Buletruck implies nobody here is going to say is impossible but the checkin agent will have a procedure to follow to ensure that before accepting someone for checkin that they have a valid passport and a valid visa for Canada unless visa exempt.

If from a visa exempt country they would have board/no board check for an ETA, if a valid passport but non visa exempt with no visa (or any other permit) then logically the traveller would be expected to present a valid PR card or PRTD to pass the board/no board check.

As said by all means anyone can try their luck but be prepared to have a plan B to rebook should you not succeed. Good luck

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
is it possible to board a return flight from India or similar country using an expired pr card without anyone noticing?
The official answer is "No". Anything else is either a procedural failure or a deliberate decision by the airline to override protocol.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/permanent-residents.html

Looking at your timeline, I am curious if you even meet the Residency Obligations requirements. If you don't, you may have many more problems when/if you reach the border or apply for a PRTD.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
No this is not possible unless someone at the airline makes a big mistake which is very unlikely. I'd say your chance of boarding is nonexistent.

See the other posts above, and also check the forum search. This is a common question.

Reactions: scylla