+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling for work to USA everyday

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This may have been asked before but I couldn't find any reference. We are ready to submit my husband's application for citizenship this week. He works in USA, but we reside in Canada. We live very close to the border so he crosses for work every day. We qualify for the number of days inside Canada but I was wondering if it is worth adding more supporting documents with our file. I dont want it to set them off instead if we provide too much information. The thing is that the lease is signed under my name, but he is listed as occupant. So I was thinking of providing that , and a bill that is on his name. Also I was thinking of providing NOA for the last 3 years. (We did not file for his taxes for thE first year because he was here only for a month.

Please let me know if we should just send the documents requested, or provide more information? Anyone in similar boat? Did you get RQ?>

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
sparkle said:
This may have been asked before but I couldn't find any reference. We are ready to submit my husband's application for citizenship this week. He works in USA, but we reside in Canada. We live very close to the border so he crosses for work every day. We qualify for the number of days inside Canada but I was wondering if it is worth adding more supporting documents with our file. I dont want it to set them off instead if we provide too much information. The thing is that the lease is signed under my name, but he is listed as occupant. So I was thinking of providing that , and a bill that is on his name. Also I was thinking of providing NOA for the last 3 years. (We did not file for his taxes for thE first year because he was here only for a month.

Please let me know if we should just send the documents requested, or provide more information? Anyone in similar boat? Did you get RQ?>
If RQ is bound to happen then no matter what supporting document you send, they will still send you a RQ.
Its better to keep the application simple. Only attach what is requested. If you feel that adding additional documents can make the application more stronger, then it is up to you whether you want to attach it or not.
There is no strong evidence that adding additional documents helped the person. Sometimes adding extra documents can make the officer do extra work and he/she might not be happy.
Again its your personal choice.
In my case, I submitted exactly what CIC has asked.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is zero evidence that additional documents help one's application. It's up to you.

I would suggest collecting documents as soon as you file you application so you can be prepared for an RQ or additional document request. The most likely request will be for border records showing his border crossing.

Is your husband a US citizen? If so, he will need to file an FOIA for his border crossing records. FOIAs can take months or years. If he has a NEXUS or any toll booth, fast-pass style cards, he should get those records as well. If he has a work permit in the US, he needs to get any records he can related to that.

Bills are fine, but they aren't primary proof of presence. Lease is good, but it's not primary either.

Medical, dental records, schooling records for children, traffic tickets in Canada, anything where an official checked his presence and identity is good.

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He had his days complete in February, but we have been trying to get these documents together to support. Maybe we shouldn't have wasted all this time and sent what's asked for...which I now feel we should do. The supporting documents are not primary, because the house and lease was on my name, and also we didn't file taxes for his the first year he was here because he stayed only for the last 2 months. So sending 2 Notice of Assessment probably will just make the officer suspicious. I am thinking we should just send the file with just the basic documents at this point.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The officer who assesses for completeness of file and looks for RQ triggers is not the same officer who reviews RQ documents. You can send whatever you want, but it's not going to avoid RQ if the trigger is met.

Given the upcoming changes in eligibility requirements for citizenship, you should really consider applying ASAP and not wait for NOAs and documents which would be of questionable helpfulness.

Also, a "primary" document for residence is something like work records showing that that the applicant was physically present at a Canadian workplace on a regular basis. A lease does not indicate physical presence (though it does suggest it) no matter whose name it is in.