+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling early

Pinkdagger

May 25, 2014
Hello everyone...I got my visa lastweek, and my sdoesnt resume until September. My medicals expires in J uly, So the visa office said I have to leave the country next month. I want to know if the immigration would have any issues with this.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Pinkdagger said:
Hello everyone...I got my visa lastweek, and my sdoesnt resume until September. My medicals expires in J uly, So the visa office said I have to leave the country next month. I want to know if the immigration would have any issues with this.
Your medical report shouldn't expire before entry into Canada. That's why the visa officer advised you to go before it expires. In case you can't go in July because your program is starting in September, then you'll need to do another medical exam and send the update to the visa office which issued your visa. Also, if you worry about going too early because your program begins in September, then it's not a problem. May sure you've money on you, especially if you're coming on scholarship and your payment starts in September.

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
dok said:
Your medical report shouldn't expire before entry into Canada. That's why the visa officer advised you to go before it expires. In case you can't go in July because your program is starting in September, then you'll need to do another medical exam and send the update to the visa office which issued your visa. Also, if you worry about going too early because your program begins in September, then it's not a problem. May sure you've money on you, especially if you're coming on scholarship and your payment starts in September.
For how long a medical is valid?

Pinkdagger

May 25, 2014
Thank you dok and Regina. I was thinking giving them.the medical reason would suffice, and if I have already made payments for my accommodation and paid my tuition fees, will I still need to go along with alot of money?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should definitely be able to show hat you have a couple of thousand dollars to support yourself until school starts without working illegally.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Pinkdagger said:
Thank you dok and Regina. I was thinking giving them.the medical reason would suffice, and if I have already made payments for my accommodation and paid my tuition fees, will I still need to go along with alot of money?
As pointed out by others, you will need to show that you have funds to support the extra two months of stay without having to resort to work.

Also, I don't think the IO will give you any problems with the early arrival because you have a rock solid reasons (expity of your medicals---just have proof on hand at the airport)

Good Luck!

chakaz

Nov 19, 2013
scylla said:
You should definitely be able to show hat you have a couple of thousand dollars to support yourself until school starts without working illegally.
we are planning to enter canada (s-1 and w-1) on july 22,. but classes for s-1 is for early sept. Will that date(july 22) be ok provided we have couple of thousand dollars with us to support ourselves for two months., We'd want to travel early on that date cause my siblings will be visiting canada for a week starting on that date. And also cheaper ticket is on that date compared to all tickets on august(20%higher).

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is all tricky. With couple of thousands of dollars what are going to do in Canada? Stay were? At relatives?
You are going to spend $2000 in Canada because you do not want to spend some money (the same $2000?) for the tickets in August? :eek:
Are you going to travel with your sister for two months on $2000?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
chakaz said:
we are planning to enter canada (s-1 and w-1) on july 22,. but classes for s-1 is for early sept. Will that date(july 22) be ok provided we have couple of thousand dollars with us to support ourselves for two months., We'd want to travel early on that date cause my siblings will be visiting canada for a week starting on that date. And also cheaper ticket is on that date compared to all tickets on august(20%higher).
July 22 is like 6 weeks early, yes, you run the risk of being asked at the airport to go back and come back in a few weeks. However, In my opnion, it should not be too much of an issue. At the end of the day, it depends on the IO you see

chakaz

Nov 19, 2013
Regina said:
It is all tricky. With couple of thousands of dollars what are going to do in Canada? Stay were? At relatives?
You are going to spend $2000 in Canada because you do not want to spend some money (the same $2000?) for the tickets in August? :eek:
Are you going to travel with your sister for two months on $2000?
its 6 weeks to better prepare ourselves coz its our first time to live in other country, learn and explore the city, grab a better apartment(near campus), get on to the adjustment stage ASAP, for the accompanying spouse with a w-1 visa to get a good job before it gets busy when class starts.

the couple of thousand dollars is there to show the IO that we can support ourselves, spending $2000 in canada to better equip yourself is more worth it than on a ticket,.i think :) :)

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
chakaz said:
its 6 weeks to better prepare ourselves coz its our first time to live in other country, learn and explore the city, grab a better apartment(near campus), get on to the adjustment stage ASAP, for the accompanying spouse with a w-1 visa to get a good job before it gets busy when class starts.

the couple of thousand dollars is there to show the IO that we can support ourselves, spending $2000 in canada to better equip yourself is more worth it than on a ticket,.i think :) :)
You do realize that your spouse will have no legal permission to work until your classes start.....

Also, not to burst your bubble, your spouse is not going to land a job a couple of weeks after landing (with no previous Canadian experience) unless they are really, really lucky

dbc

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/03/2016
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 2016
Hi! We just received our student (w/ daughter) and work (spouse) visa and the embassy didn't cancel our visitor visa, so it is still valid, now my issue is if it's possible to enter canada on july(2nd week) for sept. Intake? Thanks.