+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling during PR application

NewApp18

Feb 14, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have few questions and need your expert advice!

I have applied for Canada PR (me and my spouse) through express entry under FSW program. I received my AOR in October 2017. We had to request an extension as we were waiting for FBI PCC from the USA. [FBI PCC was the only pending document]. We finally received the PCC in January 2018. My questions are as below:
- Does Canada govt start processing the background checks immediately upon sending AOR or do they wait until they receive all documents? My understanding was that they begin the background checks immediately as it takes about 2 months based on what I have read in various forums while waiting for the pending documents.
- My wife was in India and I was in the USA when we submitted our application, can she wife travel to the USA now while our application is in the process?
- In case we get PPR during her stay in the USA, can we submit our passport to the Canada consulate in the USA? Will that cause any problem?

Many thanks in advance for your help!! Looking forward to your valuable response.

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
You can travel anywhere after all of your documents have been submitted. You do not have to worry about when CIC starts processing your documents.

When you get PPR email, it will have a CIC email address where you can share your concerns. You can request them to change your VISA office with valid reasons.

NewApp18

Feb 14, 2018
Hi CC31,

Thank you for your response. Do we need to resubmit PCC, if she stays in the USA for a month or two?

I was just curious about the PR process as I had submitted my application over 4 months (pending PCC) and 3 weeks since submitting PCC, so was not sure if they would begin or wait for all documents. Also my status hasn't changed except for the medical passed.

Does travelling during the PR application process has any adverse affect? Can we update her address while our PR application is in process ?

Sorry for repetitive questions but just wanted to get some insight.

Thank you again for your assistance!!

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Hi CC31,

Thank you for your response. Do we need to resubmit PCC, if she stays in the USA for a month or two?

I was just curious about the PR process as I had submitted my application over 4 months (pending PCC) and 3 weeks since submitting PCC, so was not sure if they would begin or wait for all documents. Also my status hasn't changed except for the medical passed.

Does travelling during the PR application process has any adverse affect? Can we update her address while our PR application is in process ?

Sorry for repetitive questions but just wanted to get some insight.

Thank you again for your assistance!!
AFAIK, they begin processing your docs even if you did not submit PCC if its still processing. I went through similar situation where I submitted FBI PCC after receiving 60 days extension and got PPR 2 days after submitting FBI PCC. This indicates that they have already processed the other docs that I have submitted earlier.

Like I said you can travel anywhere after all of your documents have been submitted. If she is just travelling, no need to update address.

NewApp18

Feb 14, 2018
Wow, that's great. In fact, I was expecting the same but since I haven't heard anything yet even after 3 weeks, so I was little concerned. Did you follow-up with them after submitting your FBI PCC? Is it wise to send an inquiry form or something related?

Many thanks!!

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Wow, that's great. In fact, I was expecting the same but since I haven't heard anything yet even after 3 weeks, so I was little concerned. Did you follow-up with them after submitting your FBI PCC? Is it wise to send an inquiry form or something related?

Many thanks!!
No, I did not follow up. I cannot comment on whether its a good idea to send an inquiry for the same as I myself did not do that. But I guess there is no harm in sending one but I doubt if it will expedite your process by any means. The timeline for application approval differs and depends on case-by-case. Officially they say 6 months or less for 80% cases. See - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=673&top=29