+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling after landing

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

a quick question, can we travel out of canada once we've landed? I still have to wait for 60-90 days for the PR card to arrive.

Thanks

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends which country you're a citizen or citizens of. Remember until or unless you become a Canadian citizen you are still a citizen of the country you have a passport/passports for. To travel outside of Canada check the traveler visa requirements for the country or countries you wish to travel to.

The obvious exception(s) are unless you are travelling to the country you are a citizen(s) of. Even to travel to the US, you still need to show a passport. I could be wrong but I don't think that Canadian PR card helps you when travelling internationally.

There are other more experienced people on this forum who can correct me if I'm wrong.

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
JoacRy said:
It depends which country you're a citizen or citizens of. Remember until or unless you become a Canadian citizen you are still a citizen of the country you have a passport/passports for. To travel outside of Canada check the traveler visa requirements for the country or countries you wish to travel to.

The obvious exception(s) are unless you are travelling to the country you are a citizen(s) of. Even to travel to the US, you still need to show a passport. I could be wrong but I don't think that Canadian PR card helps you when travelling internationally.

There are other more experienced people on this forum who can correct me if I'm wrong.

Not quite what I was asking. Maybe I should be more specific. After having travelling outside of Canada, when you enter Canada.. can you get back in without any issue after you've landed but don't have PR card on hand?

tenkrun10

Jul 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2014
Doc's Request.
06-08-2014
Nomination.....
19-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-3-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Initial Application
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
24-03-2015
Med's Done....
31-03-2015
Interview........
RPRF, PCC, Schedule A Requests on. 02-07-2015.
Passport Req..
21-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015.
LANDED..........
13-01-2016
JoacRy said:

Not sure you're answering the question posed. Question isn't about passport or benefit of PR canada. I think he / she is wondering about traveling after landing BUT before PR card arrives for re-entry into Canada. If that's the question, there are two scenarios

1 - You're from a visa exempt country - then generally you may be readmitted on the basis of your visa exempt benefit. Now depending on when you travel, I believe CIC is soon going to be requiring an e-travel document for everyone!. I'm not in Canada but I understand the start date of this e-travel document coming on stream is very soon.

2 - NOT from a visa exempt - I advise you NOT to travel until you get your PR. CIC has an option to get a special travel document for re-admittance while waiting for your PR. Two problems - (1) You have to apply for this document outside Canada (2) The time it takes (90days) to get this document is about the same time to get your PR. In extreme circumstances you can send a letter to CIC , explaining the urgency of your circumstance and may be able to get the travel document sooner - death in immediate family, CIC lost your PR card in the mail etc.

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
tenkrun10 said:
Not sure you're answering the question posed. Question isn't about passport or benefit of PR canada. I think he / she is wondering about traveling after landing BUT before PR card arrives for re-entry into Canada. If that's the question, there are two scenarios

1 - You're from a visa exempt country - then generally you may be readmitted on the basis of your visa exempt benefit. Now depending on when you travel, I believe CIC is soon going to be requiring an e-travel document for everyone!. I'm not in Canada but I understand the start date of this e-travel document coming on stream is very soon.

2 - NOT from a visa exempt - I advise you NOT to travel until you get your PR. CIC has an option to get a special travel document for re-admittance while waiting for your PR. Two problems - (1) You have to apply for this document outside Canada (2) The time it takes (90days) to get this document is about the same time to get your PR. In extreme circumstances you can send a letter to CIC , explaining the urgency of your circumstance and may be able to get the travel document sooner - death in immediate family, CIC lost your PR card in the mail etc.

Thanks. I am not from Visa exempt country, it does make sense to not travel then!