+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling without Canadian Passport, but with a visa-exempt passport after Oath – UPDATE

jescaba86

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna leave this here for your reference. I'm sure some of you will need such information.

My wife had a plane ticket to the US for the holidays before even getting a date for the citizenship oath. Then, we got the date 4 days before her trip. I did some research and found out about the Special Authorization to travel for citizens who don't have a Canadian Passport yet, and are allowed to be dual citizenship in their home country, AND are visa exempt to enter Canada (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html)–scroll down to "flying in a few days or at the airport without a Canadian passport?". My wife and I decided to go on this route.

I'm glad to say that my wife didn't have any trouble flying back to Canada. She applied and received the Special Authorization. She only needed to show the Citizenship Certificate and the accepted application to board the flight.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna leave this here for your reference. I'm sure some of you will need such information.

My wife had a plane ticket to the US for the holidays before even getting a date for the citizenship oath. Then, we got the date 4 days before her trip. I did some research and found out about the Special Authorization to travel for citizens who don't have a Canadian Passport yet, and are allowed to be dual citizenship in their home country, AND are visa exempt to enter Canada (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html)–scroll down to "flying in a few days or at the airport without a Canadian passport?". My wife and I decided to go on this route.

I'm glad to say that my wife didn't have any trouble flying back to Canada. She applied and received the Special Authorization. She only needed to show the Citizenship Certificate and the accepted application to board the flight.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers.
Hi,

Need advise. I'll be travelling to India with my family soon. I got my son's citizenship applictaion accepted and expecting tpo citizenship certificat ein 2 weeks. but my flight is after 3 weeks and I don't think I can get canadian passport so quickly. My son is a USA citizen. can you please confirm he will be able to enter into the canada withpout canadian passport ? Will canadian citizenship certificate and his USA passsport be enough ? or I need to apply as you mentioned above ?

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi,

Need advise. I'll be travelling to India with my family soon. I got my son's citizenship applictaion accepted and expecting tpo citizenship certificat ein 2 weeks. but my flight is after 3 weeks and I don't think I can get canadian passport so quickly. My son is a USA citizen. can you please confirm he will be able to enter into the canada withpout canadian passport ? Will canadian citizenship certificate and his USA passsport be enough ? or I need to apply as you mentioned above ?
You need to apply for Special Authorization

Reactions: sumitbajaj07

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
You need to apply for Special Authorization
That's incorrect. US passport holders who are Canadian citizens can enter Canada without a special authorization and even cannot apply for one, because US citizens are eTA-exempt.

"If you travel with just your valid U.S. passport, you
-will need to carry identification that shows your Canadian citizenship
-may be asked to go through immigration screening"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

jescaba86

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Like the previous answer states, US Passport holders cannot apply for the special authorization unfortunately, only a number of other type of passport holders whose country is visa exempt to enter Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Like the previous answer states, US Passport holders cannot apply for the special authorization unfortunately, only a number of other type of passport holders whose country is visa exempt to enter Canada.
It's not 'unfortunately' in this context - the point is that US passport holders do not need either an ETA nor the special authorization - the US passport will be sufficient to board the plane. (Don't even bother telling the airline people about Canadian citizenship - no need)

As far as showing Canadian citizenship, just the correspondence about citizenship or even UCI# should be enough.

FormaggioVolante

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
Brazil
I may have to go this route, but I'm unsure whether I can. My oath was scheduled for 9 days before my flight to Brazil, and this flight has been booked for quite a while now. I may have enough time if Passport Canada accepts my express request, which I'll certainly try, but I have to prepare in case they don't.

The problems is that despite being an eTA-eligible country, Brazil is not visa exempt. Should I contact the IRCC about this?

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not 'unfortunately' in this context - the point is that US passport holders do not need either an ETA nor the special authorization - the US passport will be sufficient to board the plane. (Don't even bother telling the airline people about Canadian citizenship - no need)

As far as showing Canadian citizenship, just the correspondence about citizenship or even UCI# should be enough.
Thanks for the reply.

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks for the reply.