+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling with PR near to expire

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
Good morning all,

we have applied for renewal of our PR cards last May, and we traveled out of Canada for summer vacation, we received e-mails that the new PR cards have been mailed to our mailing address, my question: does issuing a new PR cards cancel the current PR cards and I can’t use the current cards when I will reach Pearson airport keeping in mind that the current cards are valid till October 2022.
Thank you all in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good morning all,

we have applied for renewal of our PR cards last May, and we traveled out of Canada for summer vacation, we received e-mails that the new PR cards have been mailed to our mailing address, my question: does issuing a new PR cards cancel the current PR cards and I can’t use the current cards when I will reach Pearson airport keeping in mind that the current cards are valid till October 2022.
Thank you all in advance
Old PR cards should be cancelled. Have a friend or family member send the cards via courier to you abroad. Pay for tracking.

Reactions: Ponga

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good morning all,

Thank you all in advance
Or go to the land border where expired PR cards are accepted.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Or go to the land border where expired PR cards are accepted.
What do you mean? A PR with an expired card is usually advised to use their original COPR at a land PoE, not an expired PR card.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good morning all,

Thank you all in advance
If you can `reach' Pearson airport with your current card that will be great, because nobody really seems to know what happens when a commercial carrier scans a PR card that has been renewed. Does the card show up as being void? If so, a PR could be stuck and not able to board their flight.

I would be much more concerned with how the old card connects to the airline's database. Once a PR lands in Canada, they would have no trouble with CBSA.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you can `reach' Pearson airport with your current card that will be great, because nobody really seems to know what happens when a commercial carrier scans a PR card that has been renewed. Does the card show up as being void? If so, a PR could be stuck and not able to board their flight.

I would be much more concerned with how the old card connects to the airline's database. Once a PR lands in Canada, they would have no trouble with CBSA.
There’s a section in PNR’s aka passenger name records or what people call “ reservations or bookings. When passports , identification is input . Either by swiping them or inputting them manually ,that data populates a section called the OSI- other service information in the pnr . That information is sent to border departments aka CBSA . Information is constantly being sent . If It’s a pr card it would be connected to name, dob etc . I’ve only seen flags when for example Australia has flagged a passenger traveling. When they have revoked a passengers electronic visa. It would pop on the screen . E-visa revoked- call Australian border protection Canberra. So if it was a pr card that was renewed more than likely the agent would get a warning on their computer screen to verify card entered. Agents never ignore those warnings, since a fine can be levied against the airline , and SOME airlines make the agent that ignored the warning pay the fine . It’s not child’s play.

The amount of information shared with Governments is a lot , and I worked at the airport eight years ago . It’s more than likely greatly advanced data collection now .

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There’s a section in PNR’s aka passenger name records or what people call “ reservations or bookings. When passports , identification is input . Either by swiping them or inputting them manually ,that data populates a section called the OSI- other service information in the pnr . That information is sent to border departments aka CBSA . Information is constantly being sent . If It’s a pr card it would be connected to name, dob etc . I’ve only seen flags when for example Australia has flagged a passenger traveling. When they have revoked a passengers electronic visa. It would pop on the screen . E-visa revoked- call Australian border protection Canberra. So if it was a pr card that was renewed more than likely the agent would get a warning on their computer screen to verify card entered. Agents never ignore those warnings, since a fine can be levied against the airline , and SOME airlines make the agent that ignored the warning pay the fine . It’s not child’s play.

The amount of information shared with Governments is a lot , and I worked at the airport eight years ago . It’s more than likely greatly advanced data collection now .
Exactly! It's an issue with a commercial carrier and what their policy is, if they discover that a traveler has an invalid card in their possession.

Even a PR holding a U.S. passport was once denied boarding an international flight back to Canada, because they couldn't find their PR card...but eventually did at the last minute. The airline would have been mistaken, since he could travel on the strength of the U.S. passport alone.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What do you mean? A PR with an expired card is usually advised to use their original COPR at a land PoE, not an expired PR card.
Besides expired cards, original COPR too, are accepted in land borders!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Good morning all,

Thank you all in advance
1. You can use the valid PR cards that you have.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Exactly! It's an issue with a commercial carrier and what their policy is, if they discover that a traveler has an invalid card in their possession.

Even a PR holding a U.S. passport was once denied boarding an international flight back to Canada, because they couldn't find their PR card...but eventually did at the last minute. The airline would have been mistaken, since he could travel on the strength of the U.S. passport alone.
In my example above with the Australian E visa . The E visa information from Australia isn’t found anywhere in the reservation. It’s all connected to the passport , name , dob . As soon as the passport is swiped it pulls the electronic visa information. I believe it’s the same as a PR card . It’s linked and looking for a match when the Pr card data is input . If that makes sense