+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to USA on an Expired PR card

gee8mail

Aug 19, 2014
Dear All - I'm a PR holder and have been working & residing in Canada for the past 4yrs.
My PR card expired in May 2015. I applied for PR renewal on 16 April and still waiting for an updated.
Meanwhile, I'm have to traveling to USA on 26 June. CIC website says I can use my Landing Paper to get back into Canada. Have someone done this. Can you share your experience, please. Also your advice. FYI - My citizen application is also in process.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you are non visa-exempt, you will not be able to return via commercial transport (plane, bus, ferry etc.) without a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document. If you don't have either of those, your only option is to re-enter Canada at a land border by private car or on foot with your landing papers.

If you are visa-exempt, you can return to Canada via commercial transport on the strength of just your passport.

CanadaGirl35

Mar 26, 2015
Are you travelling via commercial carrier or private vehicle and will you be with a Canadian spouse? You could read my original posting on coming back to Canada via commercial carrier with expired PR card. Also, I would bring copies of all your documents with you ( PR app with supporting documents, Landing Papers, etc. tax assessments for the last 4 years) and the copy of the receipt for the application to CIC, just to be on the safe side. Good luck in your travels.

Smile_Canada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How often can u travel to US by ur own car on expired PR card.

My husband works in US , and have applied for PR renewal. He come back home every weekend, and fulfilling all his PR residency obligations.

We know he is gonna go for second review and it will take longer to get his new PR card. But since he travel frequently will it be an issue travelling with landing paper?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Smile_Canada said:
We know he is gonna go for second review and it will take longer to get his new PR card. But since he travel frequently will it be an issue travelling with landing paper?
Provided he continues to meet the RO, it will not be an issue.

toronto_man

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
All,

has any body traveled to canada via U.S on a private car after he was issued a RQ and residence determination investigation due to his PR card renewal application?

If so, can you share your experience?