+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to US with PR

erico1001

Jan 27, 2009
I received my PR status feb 20th this year (woohoo!) So right now I only have a document stating that I am a PR and the immigration officer said that I will receive my PR card in the mail in 3-4 weeks. My question is: I am planning to drive across the border to the US and wanted to know if its possible to do so with only the documents that I have. Will I be hassled with just the document I have, or should I just explain to the customs officer that I just received my PR status and have not received my PR card yet after I give him the document. I am a citizen of Morocco. Should I bring my passport with me or any other form of ID?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

erico1001 said:
I received my PR status feb 20th this year (woohoo!) So right now I only have a document stating that I am a PR and the immigration officer said that I will receive my PR card in the mail in 3-4 weeks. My question is: I am planning to drive across the border to the US and wanted to know if its possible to do so with only the documents that I have. Will I be hassled with just the document I have, or should I just explain to the customs officer that I just received my PR status and have not received my PR card yet after I give him the document. I am a citizen of Morocco. Should I bring my passport with me or any other form of ID?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Do you have a US visitor visa? If not you will not be admitted to the US. If you have a USVV then you can return to Canada without your PR card, as long as you travel by non commercial means.

PMM

erico1001

Jan 27, 2009
I was told by the CIC officer in ottawa who gave me my PR that as long as I was traveling in my own vehicle and that I explained to the US customs officer that I am awaiting my PR card in the mail that I would be able to cross the boarder. Did he miss inform me? He mentioned nothing about a visitor visa. What US website can i visit to find more information?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

erico1001 said:
I was told by the CIC officer in ottawa who gave me my PR that as long as I was traveling in my own vehicle and that I explained to the US customs officer that I am awaiting my PR card in the mail that I would be able to cross the boarder. Did he miss inform me? He mentioned nothing about a visitor visa. What US website can i visit to find more information?
The officer was correct in that you would admitted back to Canada without a PR Card if you traveled in a non commercial vehicle. So it is obvious you don't have a US Visitor visa, so you have to apply for one. https://www.nvars.com/Production/userhome.aspx

PMM

abhi_hola

Star Member
Nov 16, 2008
if you hold a US GC, you can travel to Canada;
if you hold a CA PR, you cannot travel to US without a visa, unless you are from a US visa waiver country;

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
A Canadian official cannot predict with certainty what will happen at the US border and vice versa.