+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to the US while waiting for my PR card with a valid permit

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
I have a valid work permit, and I'm waiting for my landing visa. I'm also waiting for my US visa which I will receive in a week. I don't have a valid Canada visa. (it expired recently, but my work permit is valid)

I know for sure that I don't need Canada visa if I want to come back from the US to Canada, and a valid work permit is good enough.

Now, the situation :

After landing, while I'm waiting for my PR card, can I go to the US and come back with the valid work permit that I have ? Do I need to come back only by my own vehicle ? or it's not possible at all either by my own vehicle or commercial transportation ?

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you completed landing procedure, your work permit will no longer valid. However you can apply PRTD in order to return to Canada without PR card or you can use COPR and drive your own vehicle via border.

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
How long does it take to get one ? (i.e. application processing time) and does it affect the PR process (i.e. delaying it)

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends on where are you applying? I applied in Asia, it took 5 days to obtain PRTD, I don't think there's impact to your PR card processing time.