+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Canada with spouse and child at the same time.

Emmylana

Feb 2, 2021
Hello guys, please I need your advice, I have been admitted to study a 12 months Postgraduate Diploma course and I wish to have my wife and son with me.
My question is;
1. Is it advisable that they apply for visa at the same time as me?

2. If NO, when is it advisable that they apply?

neo_dxb

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Hello guys, please I need your advice, I have been admitted to study a 12 months Postgraduate Diploma course and I wish to have my wife and son with me.
My question is;
1. Is it advisable that they apply for visa at the same time as me?

2. If NO, when is it advisable that they apply?
It is recommended to apply for the whole family at the same time. All the applications are linked to the primary applicant (you), final results for all are out at the same time (in almost all the cases) and you save time overall. You can apply for an Open Work Permit for your wife and study permit for your son. Just make sure you prepare all the documents in advance. I applied the same way and the process is quite smooth.
Best of luck!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Apply at the same time. Your son (depending on age) should only need a visitor visa but more and more officers are asking for a study permit. Due to Covid, only one family member can travel with you anyways.

Reactions: Carmen01

Nadeemcadxb

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
It is recommended to apply for the whole family at the same time. All the applications are linked to the primary applicant (you), final results for all are out at the same time (in almost all the cases) and you save time overall. You can apply for an Open Work Permit for your wife and study permit for your son. Just make sure you prepare all the documents in advance. I applied the same way and the process is quite smooth.
Best of luck!
Dear neo_dxb,
I hope you are doing well, I need your help, can you please assist me with below questions.
Can you please advise if you have received your study permit and Spouse Open work Permit as well as study permit for your kids together ?
Did you apply from UAE?
What is your nationality?
If you got Spouse Open Work Permit together with your Study Permit then was your Spouse eligibility changed

from "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility"
to "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"

I look forward hearing from you.
Thank you,

neo_dxb

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Dear neo_dxb,
I hope you are doing well, I need your help, can you please assist me with below questions.
Can you please advise if you have received your study permit and Spouse Open work Permit as well as study permit for your kids together ?
Did you apply from UAE?
If you got Spouse Open Work Permit together with your Study Permit then was your Spouse eligibility changed

from "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility"
to "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"

I look forward hearing from you.
Thank you,
Hi Nadeem,

Please find my response below:

Yes. I applied for the whole family together and received all the updates and final approvals at the same time.
Did you apply from UAE?
Yes
Indian
If you got Spouse Open Work Permit together with your Study Permit then was your Spouse eligibility changed from "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility" to "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"
To be honest, I wasn't keeping an eye on status updates for individual applications as I was receiving email notifications related to AIP (myself), BVL (myself and spouse), and PPR (for all) in batches. I believe "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements" is a standard update and is an indication that the application has moved into the next phase of evaluation.
I believe you are the primary application. Did you receive any decision for yours?

Thanks

karatekamil

Sep 7, 2020
Apply at the same time. Your son (depending on age) should only need a visitor visa but more and more officers are asking for a study permit. Due to Covid, only one family member can travel with you anyways.
I wonder where does it write that only one family member can travel ?

neo_dxb

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
I wonder where does it write that only one family member can travel ?
I got the authorization letters for all the family members and I mentioned specifically in the email that we all will be traveling together. So, don't think one family member requirement holds true unless someone can point to the official source of that info.

Nadeemcadxb

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Hi Nadeem,

Please find my response below:

Yes. I applied for the whole family together and received all the updates and final approvals at the same time.
Did you apply from UAE?
Yes
Indian
If you got Spouse Open Work Permit together with your Study Permit then was your Spouse eligibility changed from "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility" to "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"
To be honest, I wasn't keeping an eye on status updates for individual applications as I was receiving email notifications related to AIP (myself), BVL (myself and spouse), and PPR (for all) in batches. I believe "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements" is a standard update and is an indication that the application has moved into the next phase of evaluation.
I believe you are the primary application. Did you receive any decision for yours?

Thanks
Thank you so much for detailed reply. It really help to understand the process.
My wife is the primary applicant (Study Permit) and mine is Spouse Open Work Permit application and we have applied Study permit for our child who is going to be 5 years old in June.

We applied online Non-SDS on 27 October 2020 and my wife is taking May-2021 Intake. So far only submission confirmation received for all the applications however, we had the Biometric from our Canadian Visit Visa and biometric details got updated after couple of days from the application.

So far there is no any other updates.

Did you defer your intake or you have originally applied in May 2020 for May2021 intake. If you deferred then did you receive you visa ending date according to your new study period or still the initial period?

Thank you once again for your feedback as it does help me to calm our situation while waiting for approvals.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I got the authorization letters for all the family members and I mentioned specifically in the email that we all will be traveling together. So, don't think one family member requirement holds true unless someone can point to the official source of that info.
This is for those travelling with a family member who has a study permit. See ”If immediate family wants to be with you in Canada.” Lots of instructions but then says,

In either case, only 1 immediate family member will be able to travel with you to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#family

Also if travelling after Feb 22, you all need proof of payment for your 3 day mandatory, hotel quarantine plus a quarantine plan for the remaining days once you leave the hotel.

Last edited:

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
This is for those travelling with a family member who has a study permit. See ”If immediate family wants to be with you in Canada.” Lots of instructions but then says,

In either case, only 1 immediate family member will be able to travel with you to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#family

Also if travelling after Feb 22, you all need proof of payment for your 3 day mandatory, hotel quarantine plus a quarantine plan for the remaining days once you leave the hotel.
Really strange coz few days back one of my friend travelled with his wife and 2 daughters to Canada, Vancouver. All the three dependents were on Visitor Visa.

neo_dxb

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
Thank you so much for detailed reply. It really help to understand the process.
My wife is the primary applicant (Study Permit) and mine is Spouse Open Work Permit application and we have applied Study permit for our child who is going to be 5 years old in June.

We applied online Non-SDS on 27 October 2020 and my wife is taking May-2021 Intake. So far only submission confirmation received for all the applications however, we had the Biometric from our Canadian Visit Visa and biometric details got updated after couple of days from the application.

So far there is no any other updates.

Did you defer your intake or you have originally applied in May 2020 for May2021 intake. If you deferred then did you receive you visa ending date according to your new study period or still the initial period?

Thank you once again for your feedback as it does help me to calm our situation while waiting for approvals.
I applied in May 2020 for the September 2020 intake but the process concluded in January 2021. I didn't defer as with AIP I thought it is safe enough to continue with the online learning. My visa is till Nov'2022. I'll complete my second semester in April and planning to travel out soon after.

neo_dxb

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020

"In either case, only 1 immediate family member will be able to travel with you to Canada" is applicable in case when "If they want to help you get settled in Canada", but I don't see such requirements for "If they’ll study or work in Canada with you". The requirements in such a scenario are:
You must submit all of your applications together when you apply online. To be able to enter Canada, they’ll need to
  • have a study or work permit, or a letter of introduction showing they’ve been approved for a study or work permit
  • meet all other requirements to enter Canada as a student or worker

Reactions: wonderbly