+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Canada from US with PR confirmation letter

tpflazaro

May 6, 2020
Hi, I do have a PR confirmation letter and they said that in the email that it can be used to prove that I'm a PR in Canada. Has anyone crossed US-Canada border (travelling from US to Canada) using the letter provided by IRCC? Thanks!

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
By PR confirmation letter, do you mean Certificate of Permanent Residence (COPR)? If yes, you should be able to use that document to cross using land border.

tpflazaro

May 6, 2020
No, due to covid, they had this sort of virtual landing. Since I was an inland applicant they just sent me a letter that confirms my PR status. I confirmed that in the webform as well and they refer to me to this section in their site (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved ):

While you wait for your PR card, you can use your signed CoPR document (if you have one), or the letter confirming PR status to
  • prove that you’re a PR in Canada and
  • apply for government benefits and services that you’re eligible for, for example, to apply for your social insurance number so you can work.

And since this is land travel, I'm just trying to make sure that I won't be needing other documents such as PRTD and just the letter to enter Canada from the border.