+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Canada from US by land with a student permit?

joannapau

Aug 1, 2018
Hi,

I'm from the Philippines and I just got my Canadian student permit application approved last week and will be getting my passport with the visa this coming week. However, before heading straight to Canada, I'm planning to go to New York first as I have to get my winter clothes from my aunt who is living there. I have a US tourist visa as well. After I get my stuff from NY, my aunt (she's a US citizen) and I are planning to go to Canada by land. Is that possible? Like will there be any problem entering the Canadian border? Or once I get my canadian student visa, I must go directly to Canada coming from the Philippines?

I hope someone can help me with my concern. Thank you so much!!

philus

Oct 14, 2016
I believe this is possible (but still wait for opinions from others). As long as you have a valid study permit, you can enter Canada from any country. CI currently study in Canada (as an international student) and currently live in the US (doing an internship). I've travelled via land so many times (once every month since Jan 2018). As far as it is via land, I envisage no problem for you. Congrats and welcome to Canada.

Reactions: joannapau

joannapau

Aug 1, 2018
I believe this is possible (but still wait for opinions from others). As long as you have a valid study permit, you can enter Canada from any country. CI currently study in Canada (as an international student) and currently live in the US (doing an internship). I've travelled via land so many times (once every month since Jan 2018). As far as it is via land, I envisage no problem for you. Congrats and welcome to Canada.

Really appreciate this. Thanks a lot!! :)

philus

Oct 14, 2016
to further confirm this you may want to ask anyone you know in Canada to help call CIC for you. Or call border security officials at any airport..

k_rnd23

Star Member
Feb 27, 2019
Hi! I also have the same concern. Were you able to get through the border on study permit? Thanks!

Hi,

I'm from the Philippines and I just got my Canadian student permit application approved last week and will be getting my passport with the visa this coming week. However, before heading straight to Canada, I'm planning to go to New York first as I have to get my winter clothes from my aunt who is living there. I have a US tourist visa as well. After I get my stuff from NY, my aunt (she's a US citizen) and I are planning to go to Canada by land. Is that possible? Like will there be any problem entering the Canadian border? Or once I get my canadian student visa, I must go directly to Canada coming from the Philippines?

Aug 6, 2019
Hi,

hi Joannapau I want to know what happened ? Did you travel Canada by land as a student visa from USA? Do they allowed